Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vague recollection that the 8 and 16 valve bottom ends are both the same and are interchangeable, is that right enough?

Any one got one? The nearer to Dundee the better ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
The block is different on the 16v as it has the oil spray jets that cool the underside of the pistons - crank is the same as far as I know - not sure about the rods

K

·
0 Posts
The block is different on the 16v as it has the oil spray jets that cool the underside of the pistons - crank is the same as far as I know - not sure about the rods
i remember seeing something about those jets somewhere and was expecting to find some little pipes like which were on my dedra turbo, little metal jets not unlike old style washer jets, but have found nothing on mine so far :confused:
were they on all 16V engines?

any pics of where they should be?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just been and had a look and was on the point of thinking this talk of oil sprays was bonkers but then spotted them, they are very small and appear to be nothing more than a hole drilled into the galleries feeding the main bearings,

Tiny little things about 1-1.5mm across :)

K

·
0 Posts
Just been and had a look and was on the point of thinking this talk of oil sprays was bonkers but then spotted them, they are very small and appear to be nothing more than a hole drilled into the galleries feeding the main bearings,

Tiny little things about 1-1.5mm across :)
any chance of a pic or diagram mate? will pop down the shed and have a look at mine, save me wondering all night :lol:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kev you're lucky my garage is attached to the house lol

See the tiny brass jet on the end of the main bearing cap?

and looking down the bore, on the right hand side in line with the drill hole on the counter weight

Attachments

K

·
0 Posts
:D cheers for that mate, wish i had a garage at the house :(

anyway, now i'm really confused.

been down to the shed dodging the frogs out for a midnight feats to have a look.

found the little brass jets you mentioned on the main bearing caps, don't know how i missed them really, but only on the front and middle caps :confused:

they point towards cylinders 1 & 3 only, can't find anything for 2 & 4 :confused:

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
they point towards cylinders 1 & 3 only, can't find anything for 2 & 4
possibly because 1 & 3 are higher and always have a lubrication problem so alfa's solution was to put these jets on just the 2 cylinders!!!

wish i had a garage at the house
ditto +1

K

·
0 Posts
possibly because 1 & 3 are higher and always have a lubrication problem so alfa's solution was to put these jets on just the 2 cylinders!!!
never heard of this before, so went to check.

all cylinders are the same distance from sump level & block top :confused:

can't see why they would be at different height levels anyway?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
never heard of this before, so went to check.

all cylinders are the same distance from sump level & block top

can't see why they would be at different height levels anyway?
my error then. not sure where I heard that.
But for sure piston 3 always had a lubrication problem and was always the first to get worn (rings and small ends). Maybe due to the upwards motion and 2/4 push on a downwards motion.
I'm stabbing at the dark here!!:lol:
trying to understand AR engineers!

·
Registered
870 Posts
is it to lube the trust side of the pistons on that side of the engine ? maybe that side is not splash lubed very well from the crank ?

just thinking out loud on this... also Kev check your other thread i just posted about some things to watch out for on 16v engines mate

K

·
0 Posts
is it to lube the trust side of the pistons on that side of the engine ? maybe that side is not splash lubed very well from the crank ?

just thinking out loud on this... also Kev check your other thread i just posted about some things to watch out for on 16v engines mate
did think that could be the only explanation kam, the way the crank rotates and splashes the other 2...

thought i'd asked the question on my build thread though :eek: sorry 888dee :D

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
IN response to the OP. I have 2 and a half engines sitting in my garage at the moment - the one in the car, one I bought from down south plus one I got from Sprint68 at the weekend.. If you are in no hurry, I will have a block going spare you can have. I am on the north side of Glasgow. And I come up to Crail most weekends . . . . so it looks easier by the minute . . . . .
The only snag is - time. I have to do a rebuild and I don't work fast alas. However drop me a line if you are interested and the block that is left is yours for the taking OK ;)

PS it's a 1.7 8 valve

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
PM replied to. :thumbs: Just need you to be patient while I work out what ones I will be using . . . . . Have the heads to strip off the engine from down south first to see what they are like. Funnily enough, the compression was down on no3 cylinder on the engine still installed in the car. Either rings or valve stem seals suspected . . . . .

Don't happen to have an 8v camshaft pulley do you . . . . . . . . .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts