Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
No, I think the 1.6 and 2.0 have different cam profiles.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Sorry for the off topic, but what parts can I put from a 2.0 TS head to a 120hp 1.6 to gain some HP.
The whole head etc is the same except for the cams.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I don't think you would get any gains in bhp without a remap to suit the 2.0 cams though :confused:

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
As topic has drifted slightly, just to confirm - 1.8 and 2.0 camlocks are the same, 1.6 are different :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Some greek members did it and said they have a gain in mid and high revs without the remap and some more after the remap. Anyone experienced?

·
Registered
329 Posts
I've just tried my 2.0TS cam locks on a 1.6TS engine. Unless someone has changed the camshafts the exhaust one fits perfectly but the inlet one, while it fits, allows the camshaft to move a little bit.
It seems to be less than a whole tooth of the belt and well within the range of the variator so I'm going with it rather than buy another cam lock.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
You'd be better to swap the belt by marking it and keeping the current timing that using the wrong locks (that don't lock the inlet cam) and ending up with random timing. Unless you've got reason to believe the timing is currently wrong?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, I've done it so I'll be unusual and post details of my experience, which answer the original question.

I was wrong about one thing in my earlier posting - it's the inlet cam lock that fits perfectly and the exhaust cam lock that is of a slightly different profile.
The new belt has alignment marks which line up with marks on the exhaust cam sprocket and the crankshaft sprocket. So by using the 2.0 cam locks, TDC gauge and manufacturers marks I've got it sorted without any drama. Hard to get wrong in fact as everything cross-checks everything else.
I'm not talking "near enough" - it's spot on.

After doing 11x 2.0 cam belts and only 1x 1.6 belt I can't see any point in buying a 1.6 cam lock if you've got 2.0 ones even though they aren't exactly the same.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts