Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi forgive me as I know there is a lot on hear about the oil drinking in TS engines....but...

I'm new to the TS motor. When I bought my 1.6 TS about 3 weeks ago the oil was at half on the dipstick - fine I thought. Then the other day the 'low pressure' message came on the dashboard while going round a corner. Went off, then came on again and stayed on - fortunately close to home!!

I stopped, checked the dipstick and was horrified to find no oil on the stick - not even at the tip!!! so in about 3 weeks or 500 odd miles its used all the oil in the engine!!?? Really that can't be right!?

So the question is what could be the cause of this excessive oil consumption? I know the TS uses about 1ltr per 1000 miles. but in this case it appears to have drunk at least 3 ltrs in about 500 miles!!??? I cant see any blue smoke and there is no puddle of oil on the driveway!? Are there any common/known things I can look for?

For now I've filled it up with 10w40 and it seems to be ok. I'm terrified I may have caused serious engine damage so will get it properly checked out. In the meantime any help/advise welcomed, cheers

·
Registered
801 Posts
It’s probably not used *all* the oil - the difference between max & min is a litre and it holds 4.5l - but there won’t be much left, maybe 3l. It’s best to always run as close to the max mark as possible.

A litre in 1000 miles is the ‘acceptable’ upper end of consumption, but leaks and burning can easily increase that. I had a 2.0 TS 156 that did a litre every 4-500 miles consistently. There was a leak from the rear main seal (between engine & gearbox) and it had a fair few miles on it. The leak didn’t leave so much as spot on the ground but it was still there. They also can leak from the rocker cover gasket. Basically I had to check and top up a couple of times a week, or after a long run. Enthusiastic driving would also up the consumption.

Being honest, the TS engine doesn’t like being run low on oil for any length of time and main bearings get damaged very quickly. You may have been lucky, maybe not. Unless you take the sump off you won’t know for sure, so time will tell.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
In addition to Iron Wizard's advice which should be followed first;

Check your coolant to ensure it is clean and the oil/coolant heat exchanger which the oil filter spins onto isn't allowing cross fluid contamination.

Ensuring the oil separator in the plastic camshaft cover is clean is another thing to consider. Diesel or kerosene would clean it. Make sure it does not contaminate and swell the gasket though.

Is engine making any untoward noises? That is the major factor. If it is, it's bad news. If not, then a thorough oil change and good oil may sort things after all the above. Obviously oil consumption is too high and it is hard to say what the problem is. I have noticed sometimes a flush additive then ideally a flush with flushing oil (which is a high detergency oil) and then a new oil filter and quality oil may sort it but it is difficult to say for sure. Changing to a 10W/60 such as Motul may help but it won't be a miracle cure. If everything else is good, a flush and oil change may be enough to free off possibly stuck piston rings which suffer deposits if low quality oil has been used or not changed as scheduled.

Testing the engine oil pressure certainly won't hurt either but I'm not aware of the oil pumps wearing. Sump removal would enable inspection/replacement of big end bearings and ensuring the pump pick-up is not partly clogged (with parts of big end shells) but that won't sort the excessive consumption.

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
The "acceptable" oil usage in the manual is actually 1L/1000km, which is 625miles.

Most don't use that much, but some do, so it is a car where regular oil level checks are critical.

When you checked it 3-weeks ago and saw it half way on the dip stick, did you top it up to "max" again, or just leave it?

Also check the sump for signs of damage. They are low and it is easy to damage the sump.

·
Registered
720 Posts
When it really consumes allot of oil you can use Gastrol GTX high mileges.
I used that on my 1.6 fase 1 TS engine, allmost didnt consume oil 10K kilometer.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In addition to Iron Wizard's advice which should be followed first;

Check your coolant to ensure it is clean and the oil/coolant heat exchanger which the oil filter spins onto isn't allowing cross fluid contamination.

Ensuring the oil separator in the plastic camshaft cover is clean is another thing to consider. Diesel or kerosene would clean it. Make sure it does not contaminate and swell the gasket though.

Is engine making any untoward noises? That is the major factor. If it is, it's bad news. If not, then a thorough oil change and good oil may sort things after all the above. Obviously oil consumption is too high and it is hard to say what the problem is. I have noticed sometimes a flush additive then ideally a flush with flushing oil (which is a high detergency oil) and then a new oil filter and quality oil may sort it but it is difficult to say for sure. Changing to a 10W/60 such as Motul may help but it won't be a miracle cure. If everything else is good, a flush and oil change may be enough to free off possibly stuck piston rings which suffer deposits if low quality oil has been used or not changed as scheduled.

Testing the engine oil pressure certainly won't hurt either but I'm not aware of the oil pumps wearing. Sump removal would enable inspection/replacement of big end bearings and ensuring the pump pick-up is not partly clogged (with parts of big end shells) but that won't sort the excessive consumption.
Fruity - The coolant looks good - nice pink colour and no sign of oil in it. Initially it had a 'ticking' noise that increased with rpm, but after I filled it up with oil it went after about 5 mins of the engine running - could this be hydraulic tappets??? Drove it today and the engine sounds fine. For now I will just check the oil daily and top up where necessary. Thanks agin for the advice

1 - 8 of 8 Posts