Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My 2006 1.6 TS (120PS) Alfa Romeo 147 sounds exactly like a diesel engine after warmup. I know about the very-common variator problem on this engine but I think my problem is different because my engine sounds very normal at cold starts.

When I cold start the engine, everything sounds normal. After warming up, the engine sounds like a diesel one at idle (reving up does not worsen the sound, even suppresses a little bit, I think)

After that point, if I stop the car and re-start it immediately, the diesel sound goes away until reving up to 2500-3000 rpm.

I use Selenia 10W60 oil and my car usually runs on LPG (liquid petroleum gas) but the problem occurs with either gasoline or LPG fuels. I check my oil level at least once a week and add oil if needed so the problem must has nothing to do with low oil levels.

I don't think it's a common variator problem and makes me worried, could it be about lifters or a more serious problem?

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Pretty sure you should be using 10W40, semi synth. That could be your problem. 10W60 fully synth is for the JTS engine, and is a lot thicker when cold.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Pretty sure you should be using 10W40, semi synth. That could be your problem. 10W60 fully synth is for the JTS engine, and is a lot thicker when cold.
10W60 has been used in TS variants before and is quite common among GTV owners. Though it is only really recommended for very spirited driving. Otherwise a 10W40 fully or semi synthetic oil should do just fine (or any xW40 or xW50 oil).

Also 10W60 has the same thickness when cold as 10W40. The first number (being 10W in both cases) indicate the viscosity when cold and the second number is when the oil is hot. So in this case the 10W60 should be exactly the same as the 10W40 when cold but will be thicker when hot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update here:

I visited my mechanic yesterday and he said the problem is about hydraulic tappets. He offered changing all tappets and also cam shaft if needed.

After that I went to another mechanic (a more experienced one) and he said the sound has nothing to do with tappers or valves, it's just the variator noise.

Now I'm very confused but I think I'm going to stick with the second mechanic and do not open the engine at least until the next timing belt change. :confused:

@pendragonfalls Thank you for opinion but they both didn't note anything about the oil viscosity, just checked the level.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Can you post up a video of the noise? If you can get one with reasonable audio quality?

I would definitely look at the variator first but keep in mind that if you do that then you should do the cambelt and tensioners + water pump as well. It would still be way cheaper than getting a new camshaft and changing tappets or valves any way and if you're reasonable with tools you can change the timing belt + associated bits and the variator quite comfortably within a morning so long as you have a basic toolset and the appropriate cam locks and a DTI gauge to find top dead centre. There are lots of guides out there on cambelt changes for the TS engines with plenty of photos etc. and the cam locks and tools are easy enough to come by. I would say for a first time budget 5-6hrs just to be safe. If you know what you're doing its a 2-3hr job I would say.

But try and get a video up here first if you can. Then someone might be able to give you further advice.

Where do you live also? People might be able to recommend some decent garages in your area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've recorded some videos.

1- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6Aij1v8g7E

This is the cold start. I think this is a variator noise.

2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sfQAQsug-c

This is the warmed-up sound. Isn't it different from the first?

3- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yExdC8nTpAU

And this is the most confusing part. Right after the restart of noisy warmed-up engine: Pure silence.

4- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bbu5H2yIUc

Finally, reving up a little bit and the diesel sound comes back.

All videos recorded at idle. Maybe anybody could be familiar with the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts