Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an hour to myself this evening so I put the 2.0 throttle body into my 1.6 156 that I got last week.
Went in very easy. I used the 1.6 throttle ecu with the 2.0 body as I was affraid the 2.0 throttle ecu would not work with the ecu in the car. Is this ok, it seems to work anyway.
The car is deffinitly more responsive and seems to get through 1st and second a bit quicker. Not a massive difference but a difference none the less.
Only problem now is there is a squeeking coming from the theottle body every time I press the acelerator. Could the throttle body be a bit sticky and causing the squeek? Ive no idea how long the car that it came off was sitting in the scrap yard.
Any help would be great thanks.
Heres a video demonstrating the noise.
https://youtu.be/44uCeiCTv_E

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yes probably needs a clean. Unless a bit of air is leaking through.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll give it a spray of throttle cleaner and wd40 tomorrow hopefully that puts a stop to it. It is visibly clean though.
I dont know if its an air leak because it only does it when you touch the accelerator, its not a continuous squeak and I tightend the lifeout of the throttle body and the intake pipe.
After doing a 10 mile spin there. The car feels more torquey at lower revs, I think the car feels more driveable. Noticable difference going up hills in town in 2nd or 3rd gear. Havent been able to open it up full because of other road users in my way :( Also sounds a bit healthier combined with the v6 intake.
Cant wait to get the cams and vim in.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
When I changed the throttle body to the larger 2.0 on the 1.6 I didn't notice that much difference to be honest. It probably helped at WOT and higher in the rev range.

I think it feels like its offering a faster response because at partial throttle openings the engine would be getting more air for any given percentage open.

However I wouldn't imagine its really much of a restriction.
Might work against at lower rpm's.

Still its a cheap easy modification that takes 10 mins and costs about £15 for the part.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly, its cheap and seems to fell better so Im happy enough.
I was watching the mpg on the infocenter last night. The actual mpg seems to have dropped by about 3mpg on average. The petrol gauge also seemed to fall quicker than normal. My driving style didnt change. Is that normal?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
It will do. You will be getting more air into the cylinders. So more air = more fuel required.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
VIM if you get it working correctly will help mpg.
Makes it a little more effcient at certain rpm.

The cam (Depending on what spec) will either eat up a bit more fuel or use less.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well if no one else on here ever got the vim to work I dont think I will either.
They are just cams from a 2.0 cmpg
I still need to pick up a cf2 manifold or a second cf3 manifold and get the cats cut out.
Would a map help the mpg

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yes to more mpg and power too.
Remap you could get the VIM to work too as you can turn it on as an option I think...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did i not read that its not possible to get the vim to work as an option on the 1.6 ecu?
I didnt take the wires for it from the car in the scrap yard, i wasnt thinking at the time

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New problem.
Took the intake pipe off the throttle body and sprayed some carb ckeaner in to try stop the squeak.
Now I have an engine warning light and a message on the info center saying motor control failure go to dealer.
What does this mean?

·
Registered
13 Posts
New problem.
Took the intake pipe off the throttle body and sprayed some carb ckeaner in to try stop the squeak.
Now I have an engine warning light and a message on the info center saying motor control failure go to dealer.
What does this mean?
In my brief experience the MCSF error just means a problem code has been logged. Hook up a code reader and see what code is logged.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the lads at work has one. But hes on holidays :(
Maybe it happened when I started the car and the intake still off the throttle body

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
dont bother getting a cf3 and smashing out the cats. It will hurt your hands and the stuff inside is pretty lethal!
It makes a tinny noise and doesnt really do a lot either. (have tried both ways on mine)

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Maybe it happened when I started the car and the intake still off the throttle body
That would probably do it.

Engine running but the ECU not seeing any air flow in the MAF sensor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The fault vanished by itself. Left the car alone for half an hour and it was gone when I started it.
I meant cut the precats out and weld in pipes in there place if a cf3 is all I can find

·
Registered
841 Posts
CF2 Manifold

The fault vanished by itself. Left the car alone for half an hour and it was gone when I started it.
I meant cut the precats out and weld in pipes in there place if a cf3 is all I can find
I have a CF2 manifold for £15 if you want one!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts