Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately my mpg has dropped dramatically from 46ish to 39...
Not sure why? Always use Shell Nitro, tyres are in good nick and correct pressure and air filter has 6000 miles on it.. also journeys are the same.. oh and its on 47k
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
colder weather won't help - diesels like heat!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Andy, was thinking could be the weather but I can't remember being this bad this time last year...

·
Premium Member
5,395 Posts
Maybe you're giving it a few more beans now you've had it a while!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Possibly, got a long run to Wigan tomorrow so at least it will go down a bit ;-)

·
Registered
38,658 Posts
Is the performance the same?

You should be getting much better MPG than you are.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah think so still picks up and when in D get full boost..
Just changed the oil too (6000k since last done)
Always use the same Shell station too.... I was happy with 46ish as the wife's vectra gets 41 so now mine looks rubbish!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Considering doing a Terraclean, any experiences?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Aside from cold weather, short journeys is the other killer.

If you can keep your journeys to at lest 20 miles plus then you should easily see 50+ mpg.

The third problem is speed and you're never going to get fantastic mpg figures driving at 80+ mph everywhere (I have that problem but I'm trying to curb it :disappointed:)

·
Registered
36,661 Posts
It's been a while since a thread about fuel but I remember a plausible comment about the Nitro type fuel being higher octane therefore burning quicker. Thus lower mpg can be expected. I use the BP or Shell expensive stuff (petrol) but for the last few fills haven't and the car feels less agile. It may just be the miserable winter driving!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did think about the fuel and the journeys but they are the same as always, I don't think I've been more eager on the go pedal but just wish there was an inbetween N and D :-\ town driving in D I find abit tiresome... traffic lights etc as in Telford EVERY roundabout now has them on for absolutely no reason!

Sooo my next question is what are everyone elses 1.6 mpg?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mostly short trips tbh 4miles to work and back 4 days a week then couple of motorway trips at weekends/tatting about, maybe not the best for mpg but my journeys haven't changed so Im just trying to work out how I've lost 7mpg ..
Ive checked my dpf clogged rate and its 23% which I presume is fine, clutching at straws really..

·
Registered
38,658 Posts
Try getting the car warm and then doing a steady run at around 60mph

If you don't get near 55-60mpg you have an issue.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good point Symon, I'm off to Wigan now and in no rush so Il reset the trip and cruise up there (70 miles)
Cheers :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Mpg

Trip today in my 1.6 diesel from Wisbech in Cambridgeshire to home which is just outside Brighton, I stayed about 70mph on motorway, 60mph on A roads and plus there were a couple of traffic hold ups (about five mins each).

Attachments

·
Registered
38,658 Posts
At a steady 70mpgh I get about 55mpg in my car.

Still for a 170bhp vehicle it is very good. My V5 Golf which was also 170bhp but a petrol would only manage 32mpg

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took you're advice Symon and did the whole 160 mile round trip at 60, slowest I have ever driven on a Mway lol but surprisingly chilled out and quite enjoyed it :)
So looks like I've driven faster lately then! Nowt wrong with 72 .....
Cheers dudes!

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
38,658 Posts
Result.

The long run will probably have helped clear out the DPF and other bits as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts