Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To conclude.
I continued to drive the car, monitoring the backlash. 4000 miles later it was getting worse so now 8 months outside of warranty I re-approached Alfa and the dealer to get the problem fixed. It was a long drawn out battle during which I took the car off the road, just in case it was a gearbox problem, it wouldn't sieze. To cut a long story short, I manged to negoiate with them both and got a goodwill contribution from Alfa, a gearbox at half price and the dealer work at cost.
However I lost confidence in the dealer a long time ago and had my suspicions that it wasn't actually the gearbox and that the main dealer may have wrongly diagnosed the problem..........
So before I commited to the deal, I took the car to an independent alfa garage to remove the gearbox. Inspection highlighted no backlash problems and there was no debris in the oil, no signs of iminent failure, so gearbox problems were dismissed.
Inspection of the Dual Mass Flywheel however, showed a lot of backlash, about three teeth of rotation before the shock absorbing kicked in. This in all likelyhood appeared to be the problem. A new DM flwheel was ordered and fitted and although there is still quite a bit of backlash, the noise or clunk, for now at least, has gone away. If it happens again I'm going to cut away the gearbox casing to get enough access to it weld the flywheel halves together........This would be easier and cheaper than taking the box out again. I no longer care about my Giulietta and thinking of buying an Audi............sorry I didn't mean to swear!
The moral of my story is don't bother with a main dealer, buy your car from them, but get it serviced elsewhere and use genuine alfa parts to validate the warranty. Read you warranty smallprint and make sure you satisfy the requirements, you can still take it back to the dealer and get warranty repairs carried out.

Original Post:
My 1.6 JTDM Giulietta has done 24000 miles and has developed a gearbox clunk. It is also sometimes difficult to get into third gear.
There is a lot of backlash in the gears (any gear) and when you take up this play (8 degrees rotation) at the drivers side (which has the longest drive shaft, to amplify the noise) with the wheel off the ground it clunks........... I can hear this when driving, whether changing gear or just lifting and pressing the throttle. It's not slack in the drive shafts........or a faulty clutch/flywheel or loose wheel nuts...... On all the other cars I've check (about 6 but not another Giulietta) there is nowhere near as much slop in the drive line.
It goes in to my Alfa Dealer tomorrow to see if they can diagnose the problem if any.
Anyone got any thoughts, particularly if this or other gearbox problems are acknowledged by Alfa?
I see from various posts that there have been gearbox syncromesh problems even on the 1.6 diesel but this wouldn't cause the backlash.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid but it is annoying and I'm concerned this could turn into a liability?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think I had the same issues as you. My G is a 2011 170D

Clunking when changing gears was very intermittent. Sometime I would get a clunk when driving you change gear and release clutch pedal.

Also try this…. when the clucking starts happen, when stationary handbrake on and NOT pressing the clutch. Just knock the gear forward and backwards (it won’t into gear obviously) do you get the clunking!??

I also had issue with gear change for 1st and 2nd. The solution for me was a new gearbox, (collected last Thursday) so far so good. I think I saw something on the parts list for the clutch but not 100% sure.

Is your car still in a warranty period?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts