Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having trawled through the posts and reviews on the web most feedback seems to be from the 1.4 155.
As the 120 is the only model with the 5 speed gearbox ( I have read why that is more suited to this engine), and it not having the "kick" when D is selected (because it changes the dynamics and is not a go faster button as such) I would be interested to hear why other 120 owners chose that over the 155. Has anyone had any regrets in their choice?
Also how does it handle in "A"?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I chose the 120 because i wanted the leather and climate.

The 155 is only 0.8 seconds faster than the 120, so i thought i'd rather spend the money on extras that i want rather than not a lot of extra speed.
I was only gonna spend 14k, but it went upto just over 15k because i chose the veloce when i ordered, originally i was gonna choose the lusso.

I have no regrets at all choosing the 120. I could have had the 155 for the money i spent, but i didn't like the cloth seats.
"A" mode, is ok, i like the fact you get a digital speedo when your in A mode, so i sometimes have it in that even when its not raining.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I bought it as i do 400 miles a week, and wanted that little extra fuel econamy.

Plus as im 19 my insurence on the 120 is about £400 cheaper than the 150.

There is only a marginal difference and im sure I can get the pull out of the engine.

No regrets

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bought it as i do 400 miles a week, and wanted that little extra fuel econamy.

Plus as im 19 my insurence on the 120 is about £400 cheaper than the 150.

There is only a marginal difference and im sure I can get the pull out of the engine.

No regrets
same reason. plus the 120 is cheaper to buy and is in a lower tax band

·
Registered
150 Posts
i take delivery of my 120 next week and havent even driven one as my test drive was in the 155bhp. i chose it because it was at the top of my budget basically. i went for the veloce spec and couldnt afford another £1000 otherwise i probably would

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have the 120, and must say that I am perfectly happy with it. At the end of the day there is only 0.8 seconds in the 0-60 time between this and the 155 and in my eyes that just wasn't worth the extra cost for the car, insurance, petrol and tax.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your repies so far, I always find it interesting to see what prompts peoples choices when it comes to stuff like this. I can see where the younger folk are coming from in terms of insurance etc and even though I am now getting on in years I decided that it wasn't worth the extra money and opted to get the smaller engine and spend the difference on a leather interior instead. That has since changed though and I am now buying "used" but wont bore you with the details as I have posted details in a previous thread.."Mito on order".
At the end of the day its still a Mito, and thats enough for me!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
quite right, at the end of the day they are very similar in most ways, so either choice will be a good one...

If costs of insurance is no problem, then I would like to have 0.8 seconds faster to 60. If you're in a race (on a track), 0.8s can make a huge difference to lap times

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Yeah, that came out a little wrong...

Of course you can take anything you like on a track - a transit van sir? No problem :thumbs:

My point was that if someone was getting down to being concerned about split second lap times, then they'd realistically want to be looking at something a little more track focused than a MiTo

I wasn't saying that you shouldn't go near a track with one for a bit of a giggle :thumbs:
haha, i know i know, i won't be using my mito for track days, I was just saying hypothetically... and i don't want to condone street racing

·
Registered
841 Posts
I have driven the 120 and 155 back to back and regardless of the raw figuress in my opinion the difference between the two is minor. The 120 picks up just as well as the 155, its only when you really rag it and start flooring it past 5K revs do you notice any significant difference as the 120 tails off earlier than the 155. In real world driving i defy anyone to say the difference is obvious or marked and if anything the 120 has more low down usable power as it develops its peak torque so much sooner. If 0.8 of a second is really important then go for it and each to their own. If however cash is a consideration I simply dont believe that the very minor extra oomph in the 155 is worth a grand more. If power is that vital go for the GTA when it comes out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Mito 155:-
155 BHP @ 5500 rpm. 230 Nm torque @ 3000 rpm

Mito 120:-
120 BHP @ 5000 rpm. 206 Nm torque @ 1750 rpm

One engine tuned for revvy power, one engine tuned for tractibility.

Personally, the 120 would suit my commute much more than the 155, but I'm not in the market for a Mito, so doesn't matter.

You don't have to buy the biggest engine available.

The heart says Alfa. After that, the head should take over and choose the one that suits your usage best.

·
Registered
841 Posts
A couple of good responses there, ta :thumbs:

I have to say, that research has left me thinking that although the 155 would be a bit more fun when the mood strikes and the situation allows, I actually think that 95% of the time, for us at least, the 120 will be perfectly usable

Those last few comments do seem to support that feeling :)
Horses for courses as ever but the 120 give us plenty of driving enjoyment. Was reading about your test drive, never tried the diesel as we dont do big mileage and the Mito is giving us mid 30's average MPG so acceptabel for us and teh wife wanted a petrol car (As did I). All in all ive been very impressed with the Mito, they are a touch expensive but the ability of the car has been impressive. Tend to find myself borrowing the Mito instead of taking my 159TI 2.2 which probably says a lot about the Mito and unfortunately also about the 159 :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts