Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
The 8 valve Fire does as it’s not an interference engine. The one on the Fiat 500 750 L snapped as I was taking it off to change it. The one on the Punto snapped but belt, etc., changed and it started up fine.
I can remember my mum's Uno breaking down when I was a kid, we had to walk to a phone box to ring my grandad, he came down with a box of tools and a new cambelt and tensioner and fitted it at the side of the road and away we went.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I feel your pain - my Megane looked this for nearly a year following covid related parts shipping delays and my breaking bones coming off my mountain bike! Not sure id be emotionally equipped for the another big car project!

View attachment 948630
That's how I do iot on Hyundais aswell, much easier to get box and engine ine through the front, and you can put all extras on the front of the engine on after it's hanging from it's mounts.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Timing belt is in tact,turbo shaft isn’t though.
oil a bit milky and traces all through exhaust system.
So got to pop sump off and some caps make sure no damage along with cam cover to check the cam bearings. If all good replacement turbo and oil system flush out. Source of water in oil will need to be traced wonder if it’s as a result of turbo failure causing coolant to escape in the CHRA or if the coolant in oil has caused the turbo? Oil cooler or head gasket the only other possibilities.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Replacement turbo fitted after finally getting time to have a few hours on the car. While it was in pieces I had MA unit off to check plunger locking nuts and make sure no contaminated oil in there,cleaned filter and pre filled with fresh oil.
cranked engine with crank sensor disconnected to prime turbo with oil, but even after that engine took an age to fire up was spinning over like it had no compression. Eventually stumbled in to life. Assuming it just took a while to refill MA and build some pressure in there?
Going to service and change belt/water pump anyway but I think this is going to take some running to clear exhaust of oil!

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
Replacement turbo fitted after finally getting time to have a few hours on the car. While it was in pieces I had MA unit off to check plunger locking nuts and make sure no contaminated oil in there,cleaned filter and pre filled with fresh oil.
cranked engine with crank sensor disconnected to prime turbo with oil, but even after that engine took an age to fire up was spinning over like it had no compression. Eventually stumbled in to life. Assuming it just took a while to refill MA and build some pressure in there?
Going to service and change belt/water pump anyway but I think this is going to take some running to clear exhaust of oil!
Yeah that's what they always do.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
No, if the car comes in running fine and you want to check compression, then you can just unscrew the spark plugs and do a compression test like normal.

If its been stripped and the MA unit is not functioning and opening the inlet valves, but you want to check for leaks through the valves in anycase just to rule something out, then a cylinder leakdown test is probably better.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thanks for the info pud, I was on the verge of cracking compression tester out when I gave it one more crank and it showed signs of life.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
I still always feel nervous when I've put one back together and it is just cranking and cranking... Nice relief when it fires into life.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I think that's universal amongst mechanics, Dan.

I'd like to add that after an oil service on timinng chain hyundais, it's very unnerving to here the rattle of death for a few seconds, until oil reaches the tensioner... phew, breathe...

·
Registered
710 Posts
You can pre-fill the MA unit with oil so it starts up first crank and avoid all the start up hassles mentioned above.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Even a pre-fill might not be able to completely fill the MA cylinders, one or more of the pistons could be in a position that prevents the cylinder being at its fullest. I used a 60 ml. syringe to pre-fill until oil was forced out of all vents along the top of the unit, even then it took a couple of turns.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I took your tip armoore after reading it on another post about syringe some oil in via the ball valve.probably didn’t do enough given how it started up.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
What I should’ve added was as oil is added to the ball valve when oil appears out of the vents it does so progressively as it proceeds along the unit. I had to put a finger over each vent as oil came out of it. I almost ran out of fingers! I recall from somewhere the unit takes about 250 ml. Additionally if it doesn’t catch, stop and give the starter a rest then try again.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just in the interests of anyone doing a search, the 1.2 FIRE was non-interference on MK1 & MK2 Punto's, plus at least most (possibly all) 2003-2011 Panda's. However the 500 from launch in 2007 and all current shape (2012 onwards) Panda's are interference (with VVT) and a belt snap may cause damage.

Unsure if some Grande Punto's, Punto Evo's etc are safe or not as the GP launched in 2006 whilst the 'safe' Panda was in production, but continued until at least 2016 with the 1.2 lump, by which time everything else had the interference VVT engine. They were never as nice to drive after VVT was introduced in my opinion, and have now been phased out in favour of the new (and rather slow) 1.0 Mild Hybrid engine. Sad times.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts