Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had the chance to drive my wife's G today and was very impressed.:) As we are still running it in I left the Dynamic switch alone but found that the performance in 'Normal' mode was still quite lively. Clearly the quoted 170bhp is in Dynamic but I wondered what power output the engine has in normal mode. Does anyone have the answer to this?
Cheers, Phil

·
Registered
62 Posts
I finally had the chance to drive my wife's G today and was very impressed.:) As we are still running it in I left the Dynamic switch alone but found that the performance in 'Normal' mode was still quite lively. Clearly the quoted 170bhp is in Dynamic but I wondered what power output the engine has in normal mode. Does anyone have the answer to this?
Cheers, Phil
170bhp in all settings but bear in mind the car is restricted to 75% output for the first 1000 miles.

M

·
0 Posts
170bhp in all settings but bear in mind the car is restricted to 75% output for the first 1000 miles.
I thought this was an urban myth based on the fact its not acknowledged by Alfa or Fiat anywhere and being Italian it would be based on x kilometers! However it does get even better as the engine loosens up.

This urban myth is great for car salesmen to use on punters however. "You think this is good. Just wait until the engine is derestricted at 1000 miles!"

Also, I thought bhp was directly related to torque and revs? Lower the torque and the power must drop at the same rpm? Thats why diesels with their higher torque dont rev as high. Could be wrong though

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must admit I have always struggled to understand how maximum power and maximum torque can occur at different times. If the maximum power is not producing maximum torque then where is the power going? :confused: Actually, don't answer that question I probably won't understand the answer.:lol: I assumed that the turbo power was boosted in dynamic mode but then I am not an auto engineer and I was just guessing.

Our dealer did suggest that the ECU managed the run-in period, though he wasn't that convincing. I could equally believe that its just the engine loosening up. If it gets even more fun when that happens I might find myself getting quite jealous even though I love my Brera!!

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah, the Turbo goes into overboost in D which gets taken advantage of further when tuning. Torque can go down whilst power stays the same or goes up cos the revs have gone up

From wikipaedia

Power = Torque x 2Pi x rotational speed

If torque drops by 10% but revs goes up by more than 10% the power will go up

P.s. just looked this up. Not trying to pretend I know all this stuff! :)

Presume the Turbo pressure is upping the torque. Hence why when you change gear up your revs drop, you loose your Turbo pressure and torque so your power goes down. Marvellous stuff. Any mechanical engineers in the room to confirm any of this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks mgginger - I knew I wouldn't understand the answer:rolleyes:

P

·
0 Posts
Yes your MA will kick out 30 more torque in Dynamic.. And trust me you will feel a noticable difference between D and N. Steering is heavier, brakes a lot sharper, throttle response instant, exhaust note more gruff to it... Flick it into D man! Go give the Alfa the treatment it wants!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Flick it into D man! Go give the Alfa the treatment it wants!
Perreby, I took out a Guiletta for a test drive before we placed the order and did try the D mode. When I operated the switch the car just took off, so I know what you mean. It was awseome. I am looking forward to "borrowing" the wife's car sometime soon so I can have a bit of fun.;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts