Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been in contact with Alfisti about the Ragazzon downpipe together with a lambda faker and according to them I would possibly get errors from time to time, so I'm curious if anyone else also has this downpipe and how often the error occur if any?

Also, would you consider the Ragazzon downpipe the way to go or are there others you would recommend?

Already did a remap, BMC inlay filter and Ragazzon back box and looking for what more can enhance my driving experience. :thumbup:

Cheers.

PS: about thore errors, from what I understood my 2011 G is euro 5 so it would give errors instead of where if it would be euro 4 it should be free or errors?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I was considering this for my Giulietta but in the end it cost me so much in repairs I gave up and got rid.

The downpipe replaces the Cat and you are supposed to combine it with the Ragazzon frontpipe with sports cat. This moves the cat to much further away from the turbo and helps dramatically reduce operating temperature and restriction. Because this still uses a Cat there is no risk of errors and the car is still fully legal (in the UK at least).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was considering this for my Giulietta but in the end it cost me so much in repairs I gave up and got rid.

The downpipe replaces the Cat and you are supposed to combine it with the Ragazzon frontpipe with sports cat. This moves the cat to much further away from the turbo and helps dramatically reduce operating temperature and restriction. Because this still uses a Cat there is no risk of errors and the car is still fully legal (in the UK at least).
What do you exactly mean by "but in the end it cost me so much in repairs"?

What is your opinion about going only for the downpipe thus ending up having no cat and use a lambda faker instead?

Would not be fully legal here as well, though it should normally pass MOT, so should not be much of an issue.

I noticed that the downpipe has a 60mm exit which then would fit on the 55mm of the MA, is it wise to exhange the section after the downpipe to 60mm as well? Perhaps getting a stock QV middle section?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
What do you exactly mean by "but in the end it cost me so much in repairs"?

What is your opinion about going only for the downpipe thus ending up having no cat and use a lambda faker instead?

Would not be fully legal here as well, though it should normally pass MOT, so should not be much of an issue.

I noticed that the downpipe has a 60mm exit which then would fit on the 55mm of the MA, is it wise to exhange the section after the downpipe to 60mm as well? Perhaps getting a stock QV middle section?
My Giulietta was a lemon. A pre-launch dealer demonstrator and everything that could break, did. It was a heap of junk and I was glad to get rid.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of the cat completely. The engine management system is designed around a CAT being present in some form and if you remove it and fake the lambda signal you are doing more damage to the environment with very little performance benefit. I am all for improving the exhaust and CAT setup but I wouldn't never completely decat a car.

I can't comment on Exhaust diameters. Alfisti.net list seperate parts for each engine size/type.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If i'm not wrong there are 2 sensors, one before the cat and one after. The first sensor checks the tempreture, airmass and some other things that give a direct input for the ECU. But after the cat there is only a check on air pollution which doesn't give any input to the ECU other than good/not good.

I'm also interessted in an other downpipe, so I will keep reading.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My Giulietta was a lemon. A pre-launch dealer demonstrator and everything that could break, did. It was a heap of junk and I was glad to get rid.

I don't like the idea of getting rid of the cat completely. The engine management system is designed around a CAT being present in some form and if you remove it and fake the lambda signal you are doing more damage to the environment with very little performance benefit. I am all for improving the exhaust and CAT setup but I wouldn't never completely decat a car.

I can't comment on Exhaust diameters. Alfisti.net list seperate parts for each engine size/type.
I understand where you're coming from and I myself am obviously also not out for damaging the environment, though I also am not looking forward in quadrupling the price of this mod by having to get a 200 cell cat, not keen on going full exhaust for 2k to be honest.

I mainly got to this idea because I'm hearing good stories from people who have them as a relative cheap mod, not so much concerning output increase, but more as in faster pick up of the turbo since there's less back pressure holding it back.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here are some pictures and the sound of my Giulietta with the downpipe!

Sound: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw6RacvKPb0

The result is amazing. The way this car now boosts after changing gears is absolutely amazing! Full boosts in a blink of an eye. Wow! With some software adjustments it is now on full boost untill the revlimiter.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Slightly late, but I'm considering down the DP on my Giulietta MultiAir.

Can I do the DP alone or will I need to do software as well? I've been reading conflicting reports on doing the DP alone.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Can I do the DP alone or will I need to do software as well? I've been reading conflicting reports on doing the DP alone.
I'm quite sure that you need a remap as well to take full advantage of the new downpipe.

·
Registered
260 Posts

I have the Wizard downpipe from my MultiAir MiTo for sale if you're interested? I also have the lambda faker that stops engine management light issues.

I think it should fit the Giulietta, looking at the Ragazzon website both the MiTo and Giulietta MultiAir downpipes have the same part number, 55.0191.00.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the Wizard downpipe from my MultiAir MiTo for sale if you're interested? I also have the lambda faker that stops engine management light issues.

I think it should fit the Giulietta, looking at the Ragazzon website both the MiTo and Giulietta MultiAir downpipes have the same part number, 55.0191.00.
How much would you ask?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do need a remap and to just warn you, I'm having problems in getting the full potential out of it and from what I know all remappers are facing the same problems in optimizing the map for a catless Giulietta MA where strangly enough they do not encounter these problems with Punto's and 500 Abarths.

As for these problems, the turbo spools up so fast that the pressure is peaking above the set goals, wastegate opens, pressure builds again, peaks, wastegate opens and so on. I am already working on this for quite some time and have already done various testing/changing remap. I bought a new pierburg valve in the hope that it might solve it and I also put a preload on my wastegate, both to no avail.

As I currently lost confidence in my current remapper (which supposed to be 1 of the best in Holland) I went out and contact another one which as it now seems is willing to take my car in for a week or so for some full testing and hopefully solving these issues.

FYI, I have been on the dyno some weeks ago and it was disappointing to say the least.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts