Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
At 17, I'm now beginning to wonder about what to get for my second car. (I have just purchased a seriously beaten 1.1 Fiesta for £100, and in about two to three years would like to change to something a little more... Alfa.) The reason I spent so little on the car was because I so badly want the MiTo, and wanted to save money as a result! Besides, the Fiesta seems much easier to learn in then the Alfa.

As I said, the MiTo looks as though it could be a decent contender as my second (perhaps third) car. I pretty much love everything I have heard or seen about the car, however the model I would get would be the 1.4 16v Turismo. Having scoured through the internet in search of reviews (gives a clue as to just how much I wan't it, this being two to three years before purchase!), I have pretty much been unable to find reviews of this engine. Any thoughts?

Also, as a young buyer I am keen on some of the finance options on the MiTo. £25 per week would be okay (I think) with the money I'm starting to get, and by the time the three year monthly payments have finished, I should hopefully be able to afford the £5000 lump sum. Has anyone done this scheme? How does it seem to be working?

Hopefully with your help, at the age of about 20, I will have my dream car!

P.S I know this is a bit of a funny thread, I'm just interested to know a little more.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
well the mito is my first car at 17, i have the 95 bhp veloce.

now its nowhere near a rocket ship but it does have alot of go in her. revvy little engine that needs to be above 4000 before much happens. the DNA sqitch does meake a noticable differance even in the smaller engine. still not properly run in and is still a bit tight. but so far shes going good

B

·
0 Posts
Sounds a good plan, if you search this forum, you'll find a few with the none-turbo'd 1.4 16v.

As you are asking the question on a Mito forum, I expect that you won't get that many people saying they are rubbish! ;)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I've gone for the 1.4 engine simply because I've owned a 2.0 litre Fiesta ST for the last two and a half years and I've had my fun in it. Now time for a great car, but without the cost!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wotcha,

It was your post that inspired me to get involved and post as i've just purchased a Turismo. Firstly, i think you've done absolutely the right thing by buying a cheap beater with the intention of saving up for a nicer car next time. Throwing heaps of money at an old car with wheels and bodykits etc is a sure way of losing a shed load of cash!

As far as PCP goes, it's not generally the cheapest way to finance a new car, but it does have it's advantages. For me the key to it is that after 3 years (which is probably as long as I can keep a car without being bored to tears) you can hand the keys back and walk without the hassle of trade ins / worrying about depreciation etc. Also, as with any Hire Purchase agreement there is a statutory right to end the agreement after you have paid 50%. This means after 18 months, if i hate the car, i can walk. Again a big bonus if like me you are fickle, or if the economy does us all up the bum and we have no jobs. However, in 3 years it might be smarter to get a second hand one, a 3 year old Turismo will probably only cost 6k from a dealer with 36k miles on the clock.

As far as 95bhp goes, it'll be sprightly enough to have fun. Due to an inordinate amount of traveling i've been (un)lucky enough to drive loads and loads of hire cars and can safely say that a zippy little hatchback with 95bhp will be better than a heavy diesel saloon with twice that. My first car was a Ka with 59bhp which i got up to all sorts of tomfoolery in, despite the fact that mile after mile of motorway would still not see it reach more than exactly 100mph on the speedo. Infact i dare say it was more fun than my current 160ish bhp MR2!

:thumbs:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks for all of the input!

Perhaps a second hand would be my best option - I have several years to consider! In the meantime, it's back to the Fiesta...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts