Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have a strange one for you. I have bought a Alfa Mito 1.3jtdm. I bought it with engine problems and I am nearly there just a small problem with smoking on start up (black smoke).
I have replaced all the injectors and programmed with Multiecuscan no problem.
My question is I have programmed them cyl 1 2 3 4 with injectors in cyl 1 2 3 4 is this right or should they be programmed 1 2 3 4 and injectors in Cyl 1 3 4 2 firing order. Does that sound plausible.
Thanks for any help Dean.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
no, you program them by cylinder nr, not by firing order, but I understand where you're coming from..

how long does the smoking last after startup? Check the glowplugs are working as they should be (this includes and is even more important after startup)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, you program them by cylinder nr, not by firing order, but I understand where you're coming from..

how long does the smoking last after startup? Check the glowplugs are working as they should be (this includes and is even more important after startup)
Thanks for the fast reply Buddy. The glow plugs are new and I have re checked them and there all working. It smokes from start up for about 2 mins. And when running on low revs and highish gear. It seems ok when warmed up.
Also I have cleaned the EGR fitted another turbo second hand but assured it was good No oil leaks or play in shaft. I have had it remapped and DPF delete. New oil and filters. I have not changed fuel filter.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Try blanking the egr completely, see if that solves the smoke issue.

the glow plugs should remain active for a while after startup, depending on the coolant temperature. This to raise the temperature in the combustion chamber. Low compression will have the same effect as non working glow plugs.

The normal startup strategy is to get the catalyst up to temperature as sooon as possible (200 °C give or take) and the injections are tmed for this effect, another contributor to black smoke when cold. Make sure the injection strategy when cold gets adapted aswell with the dpf delete as you won't have a cat anymore either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try blanking the egr completely, see if that solves the smoke issue.

the glow plugs should remain active for a while after startup, depending on the coolant temperature. This to raise the temperature in the combustion chamber. Low compression will have the same effect as non working glow plugs.

The normal startup strategy is to get the catalyst up to temperature as sooon as possible (200 °C give or take) and the injections are tmed for this effect, another contributor to black smoke when cold. Make sure the injection strategy when cold gets adapted aswell with the dpf delete as you won't have a cat anymore either.
I fitted a blanking plate but light came on so I drilled a 6mm hole in it and refitted. My glow plugs come on for 15 secs then knock back off with relay.
I have a 09 plate Mito and the DPF is separate to the Cat which is still fitted. That came in on 2010 were the DPF and Cat are integrated.
Cause I tried to buy a full exhaust of a 2010 and it is completely different to mine.
Also I can still start car with 2 glow plugs out of engine so compression must be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts