Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to buy a nearly new 159 19jtd and have read about the 08MY being built with lighter steel etc. Would like to make sure I have an actual 08 model and not an 07 that didn't get registered for a while. Anyone know how I can tell just by looking? I understand that 08s have white backlighting for the dials. Any other things to look for in the event of not having the ignition key to check?

cheers folks

·
Registered
529 Posts
The MY08 model rear Alfa badge doubles as a boot release. Give the badge a push and if the boot opens you have a MY08. There are probably other indicators too.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in the process of trying to buy a nearly new 159 19jtd and have read about the 08MY being built with lighter steel etc. Would like to make sure I have an actual 08 model and not an 07 that didn't get registered for a while. Anyone know how I can tell just by looking? I understand that 08s have white backlighting for the dials. Any other things to look for in the event of not having the ignition key to check?

cheers folks
IF its a Lusso >>>>>>>>>>

MY08 Lussos have Titanium colour dashboard instead of silver. Wheels were also changed - Lussos had Diamond Flat 17" as standard in UK - other markets may vary.
Boot release is a giveaway as already suggested.
Lusso front brake calipers will have "Alfa Romeo" script in white on a natural alloy caliper.

Does the Irish market have the Euro model ranges - Distinction. Progression etc?

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I am in the process of trying to buy a nearly new 159 19jtd and have read about the 08MY being built with lighter steel etc. cheers folks

Built with lighter steel? Is this true??

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
No it's not but some of the suspension bit are lighter and on the Ti's, the standard spec got worse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh! I have a 58 plate 159SW Lusso but the rear badge doesn't operate the boot release. The front brake calipers have the white script on natural alloy though!

Not sure what that makes mine?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Oh! I have a 58 plate 159SW Lusso but the rear badge doesn't operate the boot release. The front brake calipers have the white script on natural alloy though!

Not sure what that makes mine?
Heh heh...Alfa's always been great at this. lol.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Forgot to say that the seats in the standard car are slightly more supportive on the 08 MY.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Forgot to say that the seats in the standard car are slightly more supportive on the 08 MY.
For you maybe, I found the 08 seats worse than my 06 seats, too flat and wide.

Also on the wheels, the 08 Lusso wheels as standard were the same as the 06/07 models.

The 2 main differences to identify these cars are the badge boot release and a climate panel lacking the 'mono' button.

In my opinion they arent worth seeking out.

And yes the Ti spec got lower, but thats because it joined the range, the one that SR and I have are ofiicially UK Limited Edition Ti's (hence the choice of ony 3 colours), although they were much better specified for the money (folding mirrors, leccy seats, visibility pack, upgrade paint, memory seat. etc), they had little manufacturer disocunt support, so in reality cost much the same!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think that a plate with the month/year of manufacture somewhere on the car has been mandatory in Australia for around 20 years (I'm an ex-pat).

I've yet to see one on a UK car though.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For you maybe, I found the 08 seats worse than my 06 seats, too flat and wide.

Also on the wheels, the 08 Lusso wheels as standard were the same as the 06/07 models.

17 inch Diamond flat spoked wheels were standard on MY08 Lussos (Certainly on the 1.9 JTDm cos I have one) cars but an option on MY2007. Not sure about 2006 cars but I suspect they were on Multi-spokes which most standard cars seem to be on. Multi spokes were also available as an option on MY08 - you can see how Alfa make money on the options list :)

Regarding the seats - the giveaway on Leather seated cars is that the front part of the seat cushion is pleated on MY07 and plain on MY08's. Again not sure what happens if you specify the Frau leather. The 08 seats allegedly have slightly deeper cushions giving a marginally lower seating position and greater side support - also marginal. They fit me better than the 07's - who said "lardar*e"?

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Mate ordered a boggo lusso (definitely an 08) and it has teh same wheels the car would have had in 06/07.

As youre probably aware, Alfa specs are never set in stone.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mate ordered a boggo lusso (definitely an 08) and it has teh same wheels the car would have had in 06/07.

As youre probably aware, Alfa specs are never set in stone.
Very true - Alfa would use up whatever wheels were lying at the side of the production line on the day - but nevertheless the published UK spec Lusso wheels for MY2008 were Diamond Flat spoked.....I think in my brochure from last July the multi spokes on your mates car were listed as a £300 option (as the Diamond Flats were the model-year before lol)

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in the process of trying to buy a nearly new 159 19jtd and have read about the 08MY being built with lighter steel etc.

cheers folks
Going back to the OP - there has been much talk of lighter steel since the launch of the 159/Brera. All steel is pretty much the same weight, so what the manufacturers do is to use a higher strength steel and then use less of it.

I have seen an article relating to the 159/Brera that states that Alfa use a tailored blank for stamping the main panels that results in the material being thinner at the centre than at the edges (thin edges cause welding problems). The article seemed to indicate that this has been in the range from the outset and wasn't a late introduction, and there seems to be no written evidence that MY2008 bodies are any different from preceding years. Any change in body construction would have huge implications in re-engineering, structural analysis and crash testing - so I would suggest it has never happened.

What Alfa DID do, was to reduce unsprung weight by using lighter suspension components (alloy), tubular anti roll bars and lighter wheels (although the wheels all seemed to be from the options list). Quoted savings were 30-50 kilograms.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the reality

Folks, thanks for the info, having spent some time looking at various 08 models, and in particular a Sept 08 lusso SW with 70 miles on the clock, I can confirm that an 08 model may or may not have a boot badge/boot release, may or may not have variations in the seat design and pleating, may or may not have different shades of dash aluminum and may or may not have brake calipers with writing on them. What they do all seem to have is white dash lighting. Dealer was suitably amusing about Alfa's attention to detail when it comes to picking things that may or may not feature on a car after a model year is announced. Either way I am a week away from getting my hands on Alfa Number 3. The aforementioned 70 mile 1.9 JTD, now spec-ed up with 18 inch 8C Competizione style wheels as the multi-spoke wheels didn't do it for me. Will post photo soon. And will miss Number 2 a lot. Especially the easy-clean wheels.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts