Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i was suprised by a Golf GTD.
Earlier on today i was sat waiting for the traffic lights to change on Chester Rd heading towards Manchester UTD's football ground just minding my own business.

When a dark blue Golf GTD stopped besides & goaded me to use, shall we say all what i had.
Anyway i knew what was about to happend, so i held my finger down for two seconds on the ASR/VDC button untill i got the confirmation beep to tell me both are now disabled.

I felt confident in the heavy beast that the Alfa Brera is, so the next thing you know lights changed to amber.

We're both off the mark 1st, kneck & kneck 2nd, kneck & kneck, change up to 3rd now at 70mph i started to only get a slight advantage, but with respect he had to start braking due to a little white van on the inside lane which he was in.

The point of this thread is even though the Golf only has 181bhp but 280lb ft of torque.
It seems torque can have better improvements over Bhp

And more to the point modern day diesel engines are getting really nippy ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im not surprised, the 3.2 is blunted in our cars by the weight which makes the lack of torque more apparent.

Dont stress over it though....it was a turbo diesel shopping trolley at the end of the day:lol:

·
Vendor
46,131 Posts
The Golf is 2wd as well, which means it will typically lose about 18-20% of power in the transmission, 4wd tends to suffer 25-30% losses. 4wd does mean you can be brutal in first gear (loads of throttle and very quick off the clutch!) but I think your car has limits in the ECU which prevent this in 1st & 2nd gear. Don't sweat it :)

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Aeroresh & Pud237, it hasn't made me think to get rid of it. But it has got me thinking of modifications to the engine, like the header's removed for some cat free ones, also a straight through pipe with a re-map now.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Golf is dull & common as muck, reliable maybe but i wouldnt glance back at it if it were on my driveway.
The Brera is a stunner, i wouldnt care if a micra was faster, just get out and look at it.
I ignore any driver that goads me, let them pass to admire the Alfas agressive face, i get so many stares from german car drivers.
Brera and 159 are stunners.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Why does it matter?

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your right the Brera/159 is a real looker, most high-end car drivers want to know who the car maker is of the handsome brute that they can look when cleaned.

Even Aston Martin & Bentley owners have had another glace. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
@adamcot, i suppose it's just my ego! :D
Thing is, if you wanted the car to do traffic light GP's with Golf diesels, then you got the wrong car unfortunately. This is the thing with the Brera. It's a GT car, not a sports car. Built for cruising around in, not racing between red lights. :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Completely with Bruce100 on this.
As soon as I saw the word 'Golf' I started yawning.
Shopping cars trying to go fast just look silly and most of us just think ''what a plonker''.

·
Registered
743 Posts
thank your lucky stars it wasnt an 'R' golf then pal , you wouldnt have seen him for dust lol , golfs are sooooo boring thow

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thing is, if you wanted the car to do traffic light GP's with Golf diesels, then you got the wrong car unfortunately. This is the thing with the Brera. It's a GT car, not a sports car. Built for cruising around in, not racing between red lights. :thumbs:
I think the Brera was built to be a sports coupe myself. Alfa brought all the ingredience to the table, brembo 4 pot callipers, a rear drive unit for extra fun, 260bhp V6, ect.
It was even tested on the nurburgring. But the recipe just didn't make for that much of what the intentions were :)

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completely with Bruce100 on this.
As soon as I saw the word 'Golf' I started yawning.
Shopping cars trying to go fast just look silly and most of us just think ''what a plonker''.
I think at some point most of us have either owned a fast Golf or atleast wanted to at some point of our driving careers so to speak

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
40mph. I but only the police can enforce the speed limits.
And i say that loosely, because the police in manchester don't seem to care about traffic laws, judging by most of the people in manchester who are either talking on their phones of facebooking at the lights.

I mean it's like 6 out of 10 cars everywhere

·
Premium Member
3,476 Posts
I think at some point most of us have either owned a fast Golf or atleast wanted to at some point of our driving careers so to speak
I waited 6 months for one of the first GT TDI PD's (115bhp models) to be built to my spec in 99 :) loved that car it had every option on the list and was built like a tank. Had it for 3 years as a company car then bought it and kept it for 2 more.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A friend of mine still owns his ( from 3 years old ).A 98 S Reg, exactly the same as your old one but in 5 door. He also loves his. :) Strange because they fiited AC aswell as an electric sunroof :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts