Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

ive recently purchased an 06 brera second hand. The battery was replaced by previous owner but I am now having problems

1. radio codes but I know that's due to the battery

2. when unlocking or opening doors the windows come down but wont go back up unless I manually do it (very irritating!)

3. now showing a hill holder is unavalible

4. engine management light

car runs smooth, drives easy, clutch feels ok underfoot brakes fine.

ive had a company car for 8 years so this is my first purchase of a second hand car and I am panicking quite abit. I love the car but am just not sure if any of these are due to the battery as its since that's been changed

any advice on what I can do? I really don't want a huge bill from the dealers :(

thanks for reading :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yea I know the feeling :disappointed:

2. It might be that it needs window calibration. I don't know the exact procedure but a search might turn up results
3. Might be due to faulty clutch/brake switch
4. I really recommend you get a code reader for like €15 and use AlfaOBD(free) app to read codes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know the feeling :disappointed:

2. It might be that it needs window calibration. I don't know the exact procedure but a search might turn up results
3. Might be due to faulty clutch/brake switch
4. I really recommend you get a code reader for like €15 and use AlfaOBD(free) app to read codes

thankyou for the response!

I want to do the window reset but unfortunately the switch on the drivers side that controls the window snapped off today so I need to purchase one of those,

I will read up on the clutch/brake switch,

will any code reader work? do I just search ebay UK?

thanks again

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I think it could be something to do with the battery too. Have a look at the earth lead(s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're welcome!

will any code reader work? do I just search ebay UK?
Pretty much yea, what I did was see which Wifi OBD dongle had the best reviews on amazon and brought it. There might be a slight chance that it won't work for some reason, in which case just return it and buy another. I recommend buying one which is small- the fuse box cover won't close with the normal sized ones so checking parameters while driving will be annoying if you have to do it.

Such issues are to be expected for a 13 year old car. I've learnt owning a SW from 2006 that it does no good stressing about it.

Hopefully the engine light is for something non critical. I'd check fluid levels regularly and keep an ear out for weird noises.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're welcome!

Pretty much yea, what I did was see which Wifi OBD dongle had the best reviews on amazon and brought it. There might be a slight chance that it won't work for some reason, in which case just return it and buy another. I recommend buying one which is small- the fuse box cover won't close with the normal sized ones so checking parameters while driving will be annoying if you have to do it.

Such issues are to be expected for a 13 year old car. I've learnt owning a SW from 2006 that it does no good stressing about it.

Hopefully the engine light is for something non critical. I'd check fluid levels regularly and keep an ear out for weird noises.
ok thank you!

yeah I guess so it fell in budget and I need to remember the age like you say.

awesome car though - looks so mean! :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would,'t worry about the hill holder warning as mine has come up with that one for years but it just disappears after few days. Also not a big issue unless you live in a hilly area and don't know how to do a proper hill start.

My Brera's also an 06 and has over 150 miles on the clock and no major issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts