Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could any one give me some advice please, i bought the car two weeks ago from a dealer, it had a few faults that i thought had been put right befor i took delivery, ie thrust bearing whinning, door trim loose, passenger door would'nt open, they replaced the full clutch a fixed the other bits, i picked the car up only to have engine warning light come on two miles up the road, car lacking in power, took car back next day ,they found o2 sensor had failed, replaced it few days later, all fine again i thought, i didnt use the car for a week, when i came to drive the car, when i started it up every thing fine, only when it warmed up did the clutch start to slightly rattle,depress the peddle the noice goes, i looked under the car only to find the gear box had a bad oil leak, im not sure but does the car have a full under tray, mine is missing the drivers side now , im sure it was on before they changed the clutch, are these the joys of owning an alfa or have a bought a lemon

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
It seems that you are not having much luck.

Looks like they did a poor job on the clutch replacement, get it back and repaired under warranty. If they try to give you grief say that you want your money back as the car is not fit for purpose. If they give you trouble there are quite a few options open to you as you have only had the car two weeks and that they had agreed to fix all the problems before you took delivery. Stand your ground and don't be fobbed off.

Does seem that there are more problems than I would have expected in a three year old car, any history on it ?

Missing undertrays is common, I've never actually seen one ! Doesn't seem to cause any problems but maybe someone will be along soon to say it does !

Good luck with the garage, it seems that you are in the right here and putting your foot down with a firm hand should get you a result.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice, the car will be getting shoved back to the garage on tue, had a good look under the car today, the clutch has been fitted badly, gear box bolts hanging out, heat shield on the exhaust damaged, must have been a sod to get back in, or just a crap garage,other than that im made up with the car,

·
Banned
61 Posts
i cant imagine what goes through a mechanics head when stuff like that happens. Surely they must have some personal standards!

They will sort it mate, and then you will absolutely love the car. Prob not a great idea to drive it around too much until its fixed, the garbox only holds 2 litres of oil, and it may have lost over a litre from the leak.

First signs of low oil are jumping out of gear when you accelerate.

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats annoying i told the garage i wouldnt take the car unless it was right, i used to work as a machanic for ten years and know what i'm looking at, i checked the car right through, even contacted mangoletsi who sold the car to the previous owner, was told its a good car, just goes to show not every one has standards, i would love to get my spanners out and do the job properly, but why should i,

·
Banned
61 Posts
mate, give it good check over when you get it back. There is nothing nicer than the knowledge that your car is bone dry underneath with zero leaks.

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,370 Posts
Hope you get a good result. Would not be returning to these " Professional Mechanics " after the warranty work has been completed satisfactorily.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
It seems that you are not having much luck.

Looks like they did a poor job on the clutch replacement, get it back and repaired under warranty. If they try to give you grief say that you want your money back as the car is not fit for purpose. If they give you trouble there are quite a few options open to you as you have only had the car two weeks and that they had agreed to fix all the problems before you took delivery. Stand your ground and don't be fobbed off.

Does seem that there are more problems than I would have expected in a three year old car, any history on it ?

Missing undertrays is common, I've never actually seen one ! Doesn't seem to cause any problems but maybe someone will be along soon to say it does !

Good luck with the garage, it seems that you are in the right here and putting your foot down with a firm hand should get you a result.
Do what Nige says - perfect advice.

As far as the undertray is concerned it is not vital. However it is very desirable. Our 147 (7 years old) does not have one. Our GTV (10 years old) does. The difference - you could eat your dinner off the GTV's engine - it is so clean. The 147's engine is filthy - all of the road muck gets sucked up and deposited.

Paul.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i know the car had the undertray before the clutch was fitted, i went over the car with a fine tooth comb, the car was bought from a garage but nothing to do with alfa, he had the garage next door replace the clutch, i dont think they have a in house machanic, i'm going to demand they fix the leak and replace the undertray, if available, ???,

·
Administrator
23,076 Posts
i know the car had the undertray before the clutch was fitted, i went over the car with a fine tooth comb, the car was bought from a garage but nothing to do with alfa, he had the garage next door replace the clutch, i dont think they have a in house machanic, i'm going to demand they fix the leak and replace the undertray, if available, ???,
It will be available - they took it off didn't they??

Insist upon it.

Paul.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does any one have a part number for the undertray on my o5 spider, forgive my ignourance, are they a two piece part, i asked at the garage who replaced the cutch and was told by some grease monkey that the car only has them fitted to the near side, my reply , bull sh....t,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts