Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big 'Hello' to all,

I recently bought the wife another 156 (04 plate 2.4 20v with 68,000mls) since, after 3 months of owning it, she decided she didn't really like her 06 325ci and missed her old Alfa 156 Twinnie. It's our first diesel and drives great (apart from a rattle around the front n/s wheel/suspension area), but over the weekend I noticed a trail of greyish smoke from the exhaust just after she had 'hoofed it' pas some slower traffic. This seemed to clear after a few hundred yards and was fine the rest of the way home. She says it was putting black/grey smoke out for the last few days when 'pressing on' but is fine at slower speeds/idle. The car had recent belts, water pump and service a Palmers before we bought it, so what are the most likely culprits to look at first? I'm reasonably competant with the spanners and don't mind diving underneath to check what I can, though I'm more used to V8's, so I would really appreciate any advice or guidance from you guys 'in the know'. The turbo seems to spool up ok (quite a loud whistle though) and the boost seems fine (from around 2700 up), although it's mpg is only around 40ish. How would I tell if it's the turbo itself on it's way out?
All suggestions are greatly welcomed.:thumbs:

Cheers,

Jase.

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Is it an 04 156 175bhp unit :confused: My old 156 was mapped and used to kick out the black stuff on full boost but not in standard form.
Check the turbo inlet pipe for a break. I had mine replaced twice for excessive smoke screens pre-remap. :)

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
As others have said, could be a split intake pipe. Could be the car has been remapped in the past too. But even standard ones will kick out black smoke when ragged, this is unburnt diesel. White smoke is a sign of impending turbo failure, blue smoke is burning oil.. Not sure about grey :hmm:

·
Registered
766 Posts
As others have said, could be a split intake pipe. Could be the car has been remapped in the past too. But even standard ones will kick out black smoke when ragged, this is unburnt diesel. White smoke is a sign of impending turbo failure, blue smoke is burning oil.. Not sure about grey :hmm:
Also, over and above Pud's remarks, has their been issues with the EGR??

Mine had the same symtoms, after the EGR was cleaned, never had it again, even with harsh acceleration.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll clean the EGR valve out and check all hoses asap. I did notice one thing last night, was that the MAF is pushed into a 3 inch long piece of silicone tube which is, in turn, clamped onto a strange looking air filter case which has CDA on the side (looks like carbonfibre finish). Would this have any bearing on the smoking issue? Also think that part of hte rattling under the car is that the undertray bolts seem either loose or missing!!

·
0 Posts
I have a CDA on my V6, but the MAF is where it should be in relation to the 'normal' set-up - could you post a pic? :)

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll clean the EGR valve out and check all hoses asap. I did notice one thing last night, was that the MAF is pushed into a 3 inch long piece of silicone tube which is, in turn, clamped onto a strange looking air filter case which has CDA on the side (looks like carbonfibre finish). Would this have any bearing on the smoking issue? QUOTE]

Thats the air induction kit.

You don't per chance have my old 2004 156 saloon in silver, black leather with cloverleaf alloys and big evo spolier :confused::eek: If you do, its been mapped... ;)

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
The CDA is a good thing, its a great bit of kit. Can you post a pic of the intake set-up with the MAF though? Cheers :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try to get some pics. of the Maf/airbox set up... if I can prise the missus out of the car for a few minutes (she absolutely loves this car). Are the filters in these CDA's cleanable or do you just buy new ones? I don't think it's your old car Hunter, as it's red but I think someone has looked after it/spent good money on it as it's got good quality drilled disks and performance brake pads, cloverleaf alloys (look new) with Pzeros on and a good history so I'm deffo going to stick with it. Thanks for all the suggestions, and keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick update on this. Checked all hoses (intercooler & turbo) and cleaned EGR (not too sooty), but yesterday went to Flamingo Land for sons 3rd birthday and, after the wife dropped a gear to overtake a couple of tractors, there was a 'James Bond' type smoke screen out the back. The strange thing is the car was driving great with no smoke on the motorways etc., even at 'higher' speeds, and no smoke during the 'hoofing' but it started smoking AFTER we had slowed down to normal speeds (immediately when getting back 'onto throttle' after the overrun) and took a good few 1/4 mile to fully clear. The smoke was light grey/white so i'm fearing the worst now. Also noted that there is a slight oil leak at the manifold downpipe-to-system joint. I'm thinking turbo oil seals now but can these be replaced or is it a new unit? Whaddya think fellas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi tigger

Did you find the cause of the problem. My 156 1,9 JTD 16V has the exact same symptoms with greyish smoke and oil leak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, it's sorted. I removed the CDA filter and had to chisel the crap out of the pleats in the filter element then used 2 large bottles of filter cleaner and lots of patience. Once the filter was dried/re-oiled, I checked all the plumbing for splits or cracks, cleared all the oil out of the turbo-intercooler-throttle hoses etc. & as much as I could out of the intercooler itself (about 1/2 litre in all), re-fitted everything with new clips & fasteners then gave it a 'whirl'. The turbo is a little louder than I orignally thought but theres no boost problems and power is all there. The oil level hasn't dropped a bit since either!!! There's still a little plume of grey/black smoke on start up but I'm going to swap the EGR for a new one. I personally don't like the induction noise of the CDA 'cos it sounds a bit 'tinny' but it's working ok soit's staying put for now.
The blocked filter has apparently been starving the turbo which has caused it to suck oil past the seals and into the inlet pipes and fired some through into the exhaust downpipe. I may need a new turbo at some point, but until this one packs up I'll leave it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts