Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, im going to look at what looks like very clean 156 tomorrow, 101k mikes but is showing as needing an airflow meter, scanning this thread shows this as a common and reasonably easy fix. the car seems quite cheap, sub 2k. really dont want to buy a money eater and am a bit worried. i am expecting wishbones to be on their way out but these are easily diagnosed problems, its the airflow/egr stuff that could leave me chasing my tail that is putting me off!

what advise would you give a first time alfa owner.

where i live dosent have a huge supply of second hand cars so its not a case of wait for the next one. ive wanted an alfa for a while and have came so close to buying 3 in the past, saying that, it was when times were better and it was 2.4 q4 159s that were on the menu but those days are now long fogotten.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
a MAF isn't a huge deal really, around £100ish maybe a little less and easily changed yourself, the MAF looks like this and is located just after the air filter,

as i said easily changed yourself and i'm sure you could wangle £100 off the asking price to fund it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
"saying that, it was when times were better and it was 2.4 q4 159s that were on the menu but those days are now long forgotten."

I once got loaned one of those when my 156 2.4 went in for an oil cooler under 3rd year warranty. I would say it must have been considerably slower than a 1.9 156. Gutless but more stable in comparison. Don't think you are missing much.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Check the PAS is ok, MASSIVE job, very pricey...says he with a 54 plate JTDm with a dodgy pas pump! The EGR is easy diy, very easy to clean and replacement is 6 bolts off and on again. The suspension will need work, it is just a fact of life.

What you'll get is a great engine for a diesel and a great car overall. I love mine, hoping tomorrow's re-test proves ok!

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Check when the cambelt was last changed and if the water pump was also replaced. The pump in teh 1.9 is a bit of a weak link and if it seizes, then lots of engine problems when the cambelt skips. Although I think the 1.9 has the sacrificial rockers which at least saves the valves.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Personally, I am very wary about cars sold with a known and apparently simple fault. As said above, a MAF replacement is a simple and relatively cheap job. Why hasn't the PO changed it? It may be indicative of how the car has been looked after. How has the fault been diagnosed? If in any doubt there are lots of other cars out there.

Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy selling it said car still running well and the light had 'just come on'. He diagnosed it with his own computer and would be replacing it himself. Would the car still run ok with dogey airflow meter?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys. I took it a drive, it runs ok. Suspension is tight. There is a hesitation at 3k and was a tiny bit smokey on startup. Airbag light was also on. Im assuming a loose wire on pcb as detailed on thread elsewhere. Car just needs tlc. Im expecting egr away as well. Think i'll bid him quite harshly. £1700 for an 04 car seem ok?

L

·
0 Posts
water pump, timing belt, DMF's & Clutchs are potentially the most expensive parts needing replacement

1 - 10 of 10 Posts