Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Thanks for taking a look at my thread. Have recently bought a 03 Plate Phase II 2.0 GTV and I have a couple of issues. The car cost under a grand so for any fixes I am hoping (praying) I don't have to spend much on. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated. In order of seriousness:

1) Loss of coolant

After a short journey with heater on full blast got out of the car and noticed that car was squirting a stream of hot steamy water out of the front grill and onto my girlfriend (she ok!). Looked in the expansion tank and there was no water. On the few journeys I've made, the car hasn't overheated (temp was less than 90).

I filled the tank up with water (I think it took about 3L to get it back upto the level). I ran the car for 10 mins stationary with intermittent revving of the engine and temp hardly got about 70 degrees. I checked the expansion tank and there was a foamy film in the tank on top of the water (see attached Tank pic). In the 10 mins it didn't look to lose much, if any, water - though I suspect this wasn't long enough to judge.

The engine seems fine. Revs fine and sounds nice and normal.

Does anybody have experience of this? I imagine I needs a new radiator regardless (will unbranded new ones from ebay do the job?)

2) Whining Noise from Boot

There is a constant whining noise from what sounds to be the back left hand side of the car. From what I have read this appears to be the fuel pump. I have tried opening the petrol cap to relieve pressure. I think this has had some effect but am not sure yet. If it needs replacing, again can the £40 jobs from ebay be trusted?

3) Intermittent Squealing from back right wheel

At motorway speed there is sometimes a squealing noise from back right wheel. I've read that the calipers seize up occasionally. Is there a quick fix or do I need new bits?

4) A plug near the fuse box is not connected

I plug near the fuse box is not connected. Can anybody identify it? Should I plug it back in? It looks wrong not to be reunited with its connector (see Plug pic).

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

·
Registered
839 Posts
The plug by the fuses is where you connect the diagnostic cable. Unless you have a laptop plugged in to it, this is how it looks. You can see the plug cover underneath…

·
Registered
120 Posts
1) Could be a nasty radiator leak which is causing your loss of coolant? You 'd propably have to get it out of the car and see if it can be reconditioned..if not a new one will do the trick ;) don't forget to fill the tank with the correct proportion of coolant-water and not just water, as this alone might have been your cause of problem in the first place ;)
2) Might be wheel bearing?? That has been the case several times for me in the past..:rolleyes:
3) I don't think you'd need new parts, if that's it, but I'd check the suspension parts as well

Hope i 've given you some ideas, these are just my thoughts :)

Enjoy your bella!!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Thought I'd update. The car has been looked at and needs the following:

New radiator
Tracking
Two new shock absorbers
Exhaust weld
Caliper cleaning

This has come to £480.

I also need a replacement fuel pump but need to wait until the guy gets a second hand one or I can source an after market (new Alfa part would have been to much)

Does anybody have any experience of after market fuel pumps?

Cheers

·
Registered
708 Posts
Rad 65 1hr job Max very easy
Rear shocks 100 another easy job if fronts then a bit more needed
Caliper cleaning nothing take off and strip down clean and put back together
The tracking approx 40 to 50
Welding ??

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
As Mike says, these jobs are pretty simple. It just depends whether you want to spend your time out on the driveway in the cold.

I got a radiator from Boston Radiators (on ebay) for about £100 nd it's lasted me fine for a couple of years.

Rear shocks are about £100 and can be bought from a few places.

My fuel pump has been whining since I bought the car 3 years ago and it has caused me no problems, if you don't want to spend the money you could just live with it for a while

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. I suppose I can restricted in that I don't have the tools, garage, time or skill to do these things myself!

The fuel pump is annoying, resonating at just the right frequency to give a massive headache! Do you have experience of aftermarket replacements, or should I find a decent used genuine Alfa example?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
the fuel pump on the GTV always comes up it does when low on fuel sound very loud lasts 20-30 seconds then goes quiet......................... all quite normal and just a quirk of the car its working perfect and does not need changing............... of course if it carries on and does not go quiet then thats different

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.