Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm Becks and have just registered to this site tonight as I am hoping to purchase an Alfa Romeo 147;)

I have my eye on a particular one at present but unfortunately just a mechanical concern I feel I should check out before I end up taking it to the mechanics more than driving it for my own leisure....

The seller has informed buyers that the Alfa Starts first time every time, never lets her down, however Its a bit smokey when you first start it on a cold morning but then it clears..

According to her local garage, as long as you keep an eye on the oil then it'll probably run forever and this is nothing to be concerned about??

Please can anyone confirm this in the slightest? I am aware without looking at it it's hard to fully diagnose, but rather than just take a garage's word for it I felt best to check on any common known issues this model has?

Below is a full list of car specifications should they be needed!

The car specs are as follows:

Grey Model: 147
Engine Size: 1,598 cc Type: Standard Car
Power: -- Mileage: 95467
Seats: -- Doors: 5
MOT Expiry: Jan 2013 Model Year: 2002
Drive Side: -- Reg. Date: 20 May 2002
Road Tax: Mar 2012 Reg. Mark: **02 *** Get the Vehicle Status Report
Exterior: Alloy Wheels Previous Owners: 4
V5 Document: Present Transmission: Manual
Manufacturer's Warranty: -- Fuel: Petrol
In-Car Audio: AM/FM Stereo, CD Player Service History: Yes
Interior/Comfort Options: Air Conditioning, Auxiliary heating, Power-assisted Steering (PAS), Power Locks, Power Windows, Tilt Steering Wheel Safety Features: Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Driver Airbag, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Immobiliser, Passenger Airbag, Rear seat belts

Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can offer dealing with my little concern Kind Regards
Becks x

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
welcome

first question i ask seller when where cam belt service carried out and by whom and any definite proof of this ie bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, especially to reply so quickly...

Obviously I am not fortunate enough to have much mechanical knowledge hence my interest in learning now I am older ha ha, however am I correct in thinking that cam belts should require changing on cars around every 100k miles, obviously having service checks etc in the meantime?

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Thank you, especially to reply so quickly...

Obviously I am not fortunate enough to have much mechanical knowledge hence my interest in learning now I am older ha ha, however am I correct in thinking that cam belts should require changing on cars around every 100k miles, obviously having service checks etc in the meantime?
not on alfa every 3yrs regardless of mileage or 36 k

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow slight difference then lol.
I have emailed the seller asking for cam belt history so hopefully I shall receive a reply shortly

The Head Gasket wouldn't have anything to do with the smoke by any chance would it? probably being a real dummy and making women sound terrible so apoogies in advance but I am aware of different oil formulas, so could this effect it at all

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
smoke can be just condensation in exhaust in cold weather or head gasket failure or lambda problem or engine burning oil
male female doesnt matter advice is what you get on here regardless of gender or mechanical knowledge ..just dont ask me about dyeing hair ,nails :cheese:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ha ha :lol: I'll join another forum if and when beauty advice is needed

The Alfa I am interested in buying is on ebay so if I was to purchase car and then find out it's one of the problems you mentioned above, would this be expensive work that would be best left, or if these are just common faults/easy and affordable to repair then I'll buy it at the right bidding point.

There are plenty more Alfas out there after all

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
ha ha :lol: I'll join another forum if and when beauty advice is needed

The Alfa I am interested in buying is on ebay so if I was to purchase car and then find out it's one of the problems you mentioned above, would this be expensive work that would be best left, or if these are just common faults/easy and affordable to repair then I'll buy it at the right bidding point.

There are plenty more Alfas out there after all
pm the link to ebay seller so i can check it out for you :thumbs:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lambda Problem??:confused: this is the oxygen sensors isn't it that help fuel consumption or I am way off track again ha ha

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
Lambda Problem??:confused: this is the oxygen sensors isn't it that help fuel consumption or I am way off track again ha ha
it controls fueling yes your right but i see loads of issues and not all the same diagnosis but cold mornings every car suffers with white smoke but how much is normal or how much abnormal is the problem working it out

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well I have a car that's due for antiques roadshow, peugeout 206 w reg, but had it since new always looked after her well and never ever have i experienced smoke or a non start at any time, but I am bored as I can't broaden my knowledge any further so hence the new challenge on a much better standard of vehicle.

Obviously if I could afford an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione Spider - or an audi R8 I would steer well clear of learning mechanics and leave it to the professionals

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry I had problems lost internet connection, Thank you for taking time to locate ebay advertisement, it would be interesting to see if we receive same answers or not, that's if we are lucky to receive a reply at all:rolleyes:

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have a 1.6TS 2003 with 130k miles. Some comments:
- To get a crack in the bumper like that, the car has either run into a towbar or had a fair impact with something. I've nudged gates and posts with mine and it didn't crack. Just check that nothing is bent behind it.
- My car smokes a bit each morning, especially when cold, even if it has been parked in a garage overnight. Mine uses 1L oil every 2k miles and loses coolant somewhere that only needs topping up every 6 months.
- Check that the temperture of the car gets up to 90 within a few miles (otherwise new thermostat requried).
- Does it knock or clonk over bumps or even on small bumps when driven slowly?
- When starting from cold is there a brief diesel rattle (new variator needed soon).
- cambelt should have been changed at 72k (2 x 36k) miles or in 2011 (3 x 3years from new)at the latest, but even then you can't be sure that it has not had problems or a re-build.
- ask about any oily build-up in the engine bay.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
9,912 Posts
this is reply i got ...................Changed at 70k .. I'd have to check the service book for date but it's in the car and it's too early to get up on a Saturday morning lol.. Will get back to you later...........

probably when auction finishes :cheese: so i think belt change is well due by date

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Are you sure it's smoke (blue or black/grey) rather than just water vapour? TS engines tend to produce a fair bit of the latter from cold.

M

·
0 Posts
Have a look at the classifieds on here. some lovely cars for sale. forum members tend to be Alfa nuts so more likely service history is good etc. And you have the benefit you can search their posts in here and see what maintenance has been done etc. Or if any problems etc and if they were rectified.

Cheers

John

1 - 20 of 20 Posts