Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got a 2006 model 147 1.6 with 3500 km on the clock, the thing is it seems faster according to 10.6 sec value for 0-100 km. I have several drag races with my friends here from standing point to nearly 180 km/h, and she easily outperform these

Audi A3 1.6 fsi with 115 ( slow car believe me)
BMW 116 ( very huge difference slower than A3)
Renault Megane with 1.6 115 hp
Focus 1.6 with 115
Honda 1.6 with 110 hp ( very good car pushes hard till 160 km but then alfa rulez)

and the big one mercedes clk 1.8 compressor with 163 hp) we go side by side till 160 km :cool:

so these are cars with nearly the same datas 0 - 100 around 10-11 sec but somehow my car is much more lively and faster than them.

the thing I like to ask all of you is that do you have 0-130 or 0-160 datas for 1.6 engines or maybe the 0-400 m or 0-1000 km data can help so we can see the true performance and compare

regards

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
Muratti said:
Hi All,

I got a 2006 model 147 1.6 with 3500 km on the clock, the thing is it seems faster according to 10.6 sec value for 0-100 km. I have several drag races with my friends here from standing point to nearly 180 km/h, and she easily outperform these

Audi A3 1.6 fsi with 115 ( slow car believe me)
BMW 116 ( very huge difference slower than A3)
Renault Megane with 1.6 115 hp
Focus 1.6 with 115
Honda 1.6 with 110 hp ( very good car pushes hard till 160 km but then alfa rulez)

and the big one mercedes clk 1.8 compressor with 163 hp) we go side by side till 160 km :cool:

so these are cars with nearly the same datas 0 - 100 around 10-11 sec but somehow my car is much more lively and faster than them.

the thing I like to ask all of you is that do you have 0-130 or 0-160 datas for 1.6 engines or maybe the 0-400 m or 0-1000 km data can help so we can see the true performance and compare

regards
0-60mph for a 1.6 is about 9.5-10 seconds or there abouts.1/4 mile takes forever though. :lol:

0-60 is 5.5 seconds for my 1.6 litre and 1/4 mile time is currently 14.5 seconds.Top speed is currently 140mph.

·
Registered
187 Posts
some questions here...
1) in the drag races, did someone time yr 0-100kmh? sometimes its down to the driver's skill.

2) at what revs did u shift gears, 4krpm, 6krpm etc?

3) what size wheels were you on? 15s, 16s, 17s? also were they alfa rims?

4) were the cars you went against auto or manual?

5) lastly, were there any modifications on your car?

overall, the paper specs don't tell the whole story. for e.g. many have claimed to have gone beyond the spec 195kmh top speed.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
trento said:
some questions here...
1) in the drag races, did someone time yr 0-100kmh? sometimes its down to the driver's skill.

2) at what revs did u shift gears, 4krpm, 6krpm etc?

3) what size wheels were you on? 15s, 16s, 17s? also were they alfa rims?

4) were the cars you went against auto or manual?

5) lastly, were there any modifications on your car?

overall, the paper specs don't tell the whole story. for e.g. many have claimed to have gone beyond the spec 195kmh top speed.
Good questions. ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
trento said:
I once heard that 3 147 1.6 TS, fairly stock standard were hitting about 220kph on a long stretch of highway. My other friend in the Toyota Altezza 2.0, supposedly about 200bhp (auto transmission), was just able to keep up with them, but could not overtake them. As his speedo only showed 180kph (JDM version) he didn't know how fast they were going until later when he checked his Apexi RSM, from the memory it showed he did a max of 224kph. So the 3 147 1.6 were doing about 220kph that time.

I also heard that if you turn off the traction control for the 1.6 manual, you can actually 'chirp' the tyres while shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear :eek: At least 2 1.6 owners told me this.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Now I may be wrong, and I'm sure there will be lots of people flaming me for this, but I find it hard to believe that a standard 147 1.6 can do a genuine 220kph (over 135mph). Maybe the speedo / Apexi was overreading a bit?

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
mave said:
Now I may be wrong, and I'm sure there will be lots of people flaming me for this, but I find it hard to believe that a standard 147 1.6 can do a genuine 220kph (over 135mph). Maybe the speedo / Apexi was overreading a bit?
Why should you be flamed for this? Of course a 147 1.6 TS can't reach a genuine 220 km/h (only a 1.6 TS with a lot of plastic add ons from Ireland can ;)). They can reach it on the speedo when going downhill, but that is about it.

If a 1.6 could do a genuine 220, Alfa wouldn't have sold any 2.0 TSs at all, as they only do 208.

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
mave said:

Mave you are completely correct.You cannot do a speed like that one quoted above if the gearbox and gear ratios will not allow the car and engine to those sort of speeds.The standard 1.6 litre box wont get near 135mph.120-125 is about the limit,if you are lucky.My gear box is modified/strengthened with longer 1st and a one off 5th gear for the top end.Im am in the process of installing a modified JTD 6 speed box to suit the cars power.

All this rubbish of a standard 1.6 litre doing over 135mph is just that,rubbish.Even with my customised box and gear ratios I am presently only able to achieve 140mph,and thats in 5th gear at 7,500rpm.

The only way to measure 0-60 and top speeds is have timing equipment and data logger(same as you see at 1/4 mile drag events) record the time of the cars acceleration and top speed.This is how my cars times and speeds were recorded. :D

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
selespeed said:
Why should you be flamed for this? Of course a 147 1.6 TS can't reach a genuine 220 km/h (only a 1.6 TS with a lot of plastic add ons from Ireland can ;)). They can reach it on the speedo when going downhill, but that is about it.
Ha ha, just trying to be polite. You should see the first thread I wrote, then I toned it down somewhat before posting :cool:

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
selespeed said:
only a 1.6 TS with a lot of plastic add ons from Ireland can ;)
No plastic add ons in my engine or gearbox,but lots of forged internals,one off/bespoke parts and a hybrid turbo though.That might have something to do with it ;) :D

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
selespeed said:
I was referring to the bodywork
No plastic there either.You must be confusing my car with someone elses car. :lol:

The only add ons(as in added on/stuck on) are a pair of fibreglass side skirts. ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts

·
Banned
1,895 Posts
THROTTLEMAN said:
So it's cardboard? :confused: j/k ;)
Standard metal front/rear wings.Rears are rolled and flared.One off metal bonnet.Fibreglass front bumper and fibreglass rear bumper.Fibreglass sideskirts.No plastic or cardboard though. ;)

·
AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
3,202 Posts
mave said:
I reached 206-209kph according to my speedo. I think this is less or more the real 195kph. I was at 6300rpm on 17" wheels.

Autocar measured 0-100kph for 1,6 120bhp 10.2s.

·
Registered
187 Posts
209kph??? thats the top speed for the 2.0TS. The limiter cuts in around 7000rpm. does this mean you were not on the limit and the top speed can still stretch a little further?

·
Registered
924 Posts
trento said:
209kph??? thats the top speed for the 2.0TS. The limiter cuts in around 7000rpm. does this mean you were not on the limit and the top speed can still stretch a little further?
Nah...I bet the 2.0TS would be able to squeeze out a bit more. I've also hit 210kph on my speedo, as gotcha mentioned, engine speed was around about 6300-6400rpm, and limiter wasn't activated yet. I've also got the 1.6TS 120hp, 17" rims. It did take a while and a long open road to get it up from 180kph though :p

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Most cars can't hit the limiter in top since they don' have the power to overcome the wind resistance.
The top speed of a car is either wind resisted, or rev determined.

A 1.6 T-Spark is likely wind resisted.

Most saloons and hatchbacks will not be able to hit the limiter in top since normally there is a concession to fuel consumption and the top gear ratio would be a little longer as a result.

@gotcha - that sounds about right, the speedo error would be around 16kph/10mph or so at that speed.

Cheers,
T B

trento said:

·
Registered
14 Posts
mave said:
That's what I thought. Coz on my 155 1.8 16V, I could max out at 220kph pedal to the floor on 5th for like 15 secs. I had light mods then. Still got lots more to go on the rpm meter. I managed 240kph on a long downhill stretch at 7000rpm for my 155. With my current mods I could do about 230kph, maybe a little more, but injector light comes on and power automatically reduces :rant: Maybe fueling problems?

I think Alfa Romeo figures are a little pessimistic. Quite a number of people in my car club here has passed the stated limit in the manual. For my 1.8 16V, it states 205kph, 2.0 16V, it says 210kph. At close to 220kph, the 2.0 16V was still noticeably faster than me, so I'm estimating about 230kph? Anyone tried?

All these were done with light mods, but I don't think light mods can raise the top speed by 15 to 20kph. Light mods on my car that time was K&N cone air filter, 2.25" exhaust and FSE FPR. Now I've got cams and chip.

I've posted some pics extracted from video taken by my terrified gf :lol: Even on 4th, my 1.8 could hit about 209kph at 7200rpm rev cut. The other pics show max speed at about 220 kph on level ground, and the other shows the 240kph on a long downhill stretch :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts