Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me, buying an Alfa is like getting a puppy.:rolleyes:

You know that he will eventually chew your new trainers :eek: and pee on the carped, but you just can’t pass him by..

Our (My wife’s) new puppy (old dog) is a 156 2.4 JTD.

2001 Model, 134.000 Miles, almost perfect body work, leader is like new, nice one.:cool:

In the last two days, I got the chance to test the car a little more.

I found a new Turbo under the bonnet (even the stickers are still in place) :p and apparently had a new clutch too.

While going true the extensive paperwork that came with the car, I found an invoice from a company “Angel Tuning” for a re-map from summer 2007.

That would explain the new turbo and the new clutch; the re-map was not mentioned when we bought the car.:tut:

But the car pulls like a train between 2500 and 3500 rpm.:D

Now I wonder if the car is chipped.:confused:

Faults found so far are;

..it feels like the clutch is due again soon.
It does not slip but it engages at the very top of its travel.
(The last owner said it was like that immediately after they put the new clutch in).:(

The lose gear stick (excessive travel between gears).

The rev counter stops if you go over a bump some times (a slap on the dashboard and its back again).

And a rattle that only appears when the engine is hot and idling.

Looks like the “Puppy” will need some TLC.:lol:
Mike

·
Registered
455 Posts
i believe the clutch is like that as mine is the same. I have had to change the slave cylinder once and again its the same, so I would not worry about that :)

i doubt its "chipped" as the remap has taken care of all your power needs :)

gear stick will be worn bushes, maybe something you can attempt to fix yourself? if not wont cost the earth at a good garage :)

the rattle sounds like a heat shield from an exhaust or such like.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The bite point on modern clutches (I believe) is self adjusting so you can't actually measure the wear based upon peddle position ... hopefully with the re-map they will have put in an uprated clutch rather than the standard because the remapped engine will push a standard clutch to the limits of it's performance envelope (although my standard clutch seems to be holding out quite well) ...

... sounds like you've got a good'un ... replacing the turbo isn't cheap, so looks like you've got one that has been looked after well :thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
The rev counter stops if you go over a bump some times (a slap on the dashboard and its back again).
sounds like you just need to un-plug and plug it back in to get a better fit ...

And a rattle that only appears when the engine is hot and idling.
This is a little more worrying ... what sort of rattle and where does it seem to come from???

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, 156Chris

Sounds like an "Old 1970's Diesel" starting up..

Clatery sort of sound.

But only when the engine is hot and it disapers when I tuch the acelerator.

Valve clearances, Cambelt, Waterpump all been done some 10.000 miles ago. (By Alfa Dealer)

Odd..

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Well it's good that it doesn't increase with engine rpm ... I was hoping it wasn't something serious, which it sounds like it isn't ... don't know what it could be, just might be because it's a diesel ;) ... if you cant get a sound recording of it then I'm sure someone on here might be able to point you in the right direction :thumbs:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts