Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
sorry to hear Q. Painful.
Two year old battery going flat will almost definitely never going to be the same. Should angle for replacement.
Probably call them out so there is a record of it going flat.

·
Registered
GTV TS P2, Giulietta 1.4MA Veloce, 166 TS FL, 156 TS
237 Posts
Yes, you should and also ask for a new battery. If I was posting on the forum as frequently as you do I'd slip that into the conversation as well. Good luck

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be threatening them?
A man is 5 mins away!

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They called from customer services and I could tell them he’s already looking at the battery.

·
Registered
333 Posts
On the other hand after today’s announcement doesn’t look like you will need a car till 2030 so ask for a massive lithium battery and they can keep the engine.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I had the same with the Fiat recently. It's just under 2.5 years old but only 13,500 miles due to the Pandemic making me live like a recluse. It was starting but the instrument dials were occasionally juddering on start-up where there was insufficient battery. Dealer charged it overnight whilst in for a new aerial base in January and all was well. However a couple of weeks later after standing in the cold for a week (working from home) it was completely dead. Fiat Assistance (Allianz) came out, were very good & as he was local he leant me a spare battery as he didn't hold out any hope for mine due to the extreme cold at the time and having no need for a long journey. Went to the dealer last week and the old battery failed their test with a dead cell, so it was replaced under warranty.

I was expecting a battle as my mileage is pretty pathetic for 2.5 years and I do wonder if all the sitting around it's done during the Pandemic has done it any favours, but I don't ever use start-stop and avoid the HRW on short journeys, so I wasn't going to argue with a free battery. Good service from Allianz/Fiat Assist and the dealer though.

Definitely worthwhile that you got Alfa Assist out, Cue, as it documents the issue should you need a new battery down the line also. Interestingly when i mentioned FCA batteries the Allianz guy said FCA are the least problematic of all the brands they look after, with Volvo being the most problematic - software on the newer ones apparently. His next job was a week old one that'd broken down - always interesting to get a fairly independent viewpoint.

·
Registered
2017 Guila 2.0 Tbi Lusso spec, 1972 S2 Spider Junior, wife drives 939 Spider, + Abarth 595
6,711 Posts
Could anyone be that desperate? They'd never believe you.

Reactions: alfaitalia

·
Registered
333 Posts
People make decisions, not corporations. Usually whoever you are speaking to has the biggest impact on that decision. Even if they don’t make it, how they put it forward is important. So getting on the right side of that person is more important than anything else. Any negativity is unlikely to be helpful. And threatening and bluffing is more likely to trigger them than to actually make them want to help you. It’s also much easier on your own stress levels just to be nice and appeal for help.

·
Registered
Alfa 159 2.0 JTDm Lusso 6sp.
5,371 Posts
I'd like to agree with that....I'll do everything I can for a costumer with a genuine problem who's reasonable and realistic. The shouty ones get the minimum I legally have to do.....and probably won't get much of a deal on the next one!

....that said!....
....I have found that I have had to be a bit more forceful recently and tell shops/business's that I know my rights (both legal and consumer) to get stuff done. Probably because finances are tight at theses companies due to COVID....but that's not my problem.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
People make decisions, not corporations. Usually whoever you are speaking to has the biggest impact on that decision. Even if they don’t make it, how they put it forward is important. So getting on the right side of that person is more important than anything else. Any negativity is unlikely to be helpful. And threatening and bluffing is more likely to trigger them than to actually make them want to help you. It’s also much easier on your own stress levels just to be nice and appeal for help.

They’re Italians, don’t **** them off, you’ll get absolutely nowhere. Not quite as bad as Americans once they dig their heels in though.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back on subject, the battery was low through lack of use and cold weather but using the tailgate took that last bit of power. The guy from Allianz said he’d been out to “sticky switches” and even somebody who discovered the Ackerman effect when steering for the first time with a Stelvio.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Back on subject, the battery was low through lack of use and cold weather but using the tailgate took that last bit of power. The guy from Allianz said he’d been out to “sticky switches” and even somebody who discovered the Ackerman effect when steering for the first time with a Stelvio.
The Allianz guy who came to my car mentioned the sticky switches (for the stereo) and said he'd been to one Giulia with a flat battery. I think there'd been more but he didn't specify other than to mention the sticky switches being one cause. His most noteworthy comment was that FCA were the least problematic of the manufacturers they serve, which include Japanese, Chinese (Volvo) and a couple of very high end brands. Given I prompted the conversation with 'I bet you've seen a few Fiat's and Alfa's with battery issues' he had good opportunity to put the knife in as people often do with Italian cars, but he went completely the opposite way and went as far as saying the first car for his Son was chosen between an i20 and a Punto. He also mentioned how much better Jeep are since being with Fiat & that he hopes PSA don't try to fix what isn't broken, though that they were also much improved (which backs-up my findings with several cars in the family).

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
"Given I prompted the conversation with 'I bet you've seen a few Fiat's and Alfa's with battery issues' he had good opportunity to put the knife in as people often do with Italian cars, but he went completely the opposite way"

That has always been my experience with Allianz, but the cynic in me presumed they had been 'trained' not to slag off their paymaster.
So far I have needed three visits from Allianz in two years, with our Giulia and Stelvio, for electrical issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts