Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to say goodbye, sadly my GTV met her end today, smashed front, crumpled side, twisted chassis, it happened on private land so it could have been dodgy re insurance but the owner has already compensated me (quite generously) and admitted fault, I cant say exactly what happened cos I dont want to give them any bad publicity, as I said they have been very fair and it was at the end of the day an accident, I probably wont go for another GTV, great cars but after 2 years its time for a change, thanks to all on the forum for their help etc, (i'll hang around til my membership runs out), cheers all :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear of your misfortune but glad you're ok. Out of interest, what car are you going to go for next?
Probably another ALFA , possibly an estate though (156?) could do with the space for my mountain bike etc and I stiil have my 944 if I feel the need to return to a sportier drive in the future.

·
Registered
12,751 Posts
Sad news.......what about all the spare parts/engine that you have accumulated???

Sounds like a big "accident" to twist the chassis, an arguement with a bulldozer......:confused:
Are the wheels OK.....could do with a spare set while I refurbish mine..........sorry for sounding like a vulture....

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cheers Stu, no u dont sound like a vulture,just practical :), the engine has gone, i still have a few bits like doors, boot lid, headlamps etc, i have got a spare set of wheels 16" with good tyres (or should i say cheap tyres with good tread),these are all from the car i broke a few months ago, i want £100 for the wheels/tyres but it would have to be pick up due to the weight of course.

·
Registered
12,751 Posts
Want 17" ones...:(....hope you can find good homes for all the parts.....:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Are you going to post a photo of the damage? It's quite rare to see a crashed GTV these days, You see more Corsa's and Paxo's being the choice of accidental collisions etc
Glad you're ok though, 156 Sportwagon is my next choice after the GTV :D

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to post a photo of the damage? It's quite rare to see a crashed GTV these days, You see more Corsa's and Paxo's being the choice of accidental collisions etc
Glad you're ok though, 156 Sportwagon is my next choice after the GTV :D
Oh it wasn't crashed, more sort of dropped :eek:, it was in the workshop having new bushes fitted for the MOT when it was allowed to drop 6' from the 4 post lift, I wont say where it happened though as they are a good local garage and it was just a silly mistake by a normally excellent mechanic, as i said they have compensated me well and to be honest I feel as sorry for them as I do for my car:(.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
W'oh!!! What a way to go :)
Fair play to them though, There's loads of articles everyday about garages causing damage and trying to get out of it :)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
W'oh!!! What a way to go :)
Fair play to them though, There's loads of articles everyday about garages causing damage and trying to get out of it :)
Yes, absolutely no quibble so can't complain really, will miss my car though I had done a lot of work to it over the last 2 years.

·
Banned
2,933 Posts
How was it.....

..... it was in the workshop having new bushes fitted for the MOT when it was allowed to drop 6' from the 4 post lift,.....
.....'allowed to drop' off a 4 post lift which normally have safety bars to prevent a car from rolling off when raised & they are usually completely flat?:confused:

Clive

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Similar thing happened to me..had a bike stolen ..heartbroken.. classic insurance paid out.. agreed value.. far more than the bike was worth.. no quibble.. So I decided to be sensible and 'retire' from bikes.. I held out for just under six months!!
Breaking strain of a soggy Kit Kat... :)

anyway you can't go.. we need you..

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
.....'allowed to drop' off a 4 post lift which normally have safety bars to prevent a car from rolling off when raised & they are usually completely flat?:confused:

Clive
To be precise they had the car on the lift above head height, they were using a prop against part of the suspension during the bush fitting process(not too sure why I had gone out in the courtesy car), then they lowered the lift but forgot the prop was still in place, it would seem the prop had supported the car long enough for the lift to lower a couple of feet, then the car tipped to one side and fell slightly nose first/drivers side to the ground, e' morta.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
it is a buyers market your generous payout can buy you and absolute bargain and with your expereience you know everything about what you should be looking for

1 - 20 of 31 Posts