Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the figure being spent on the houses on my sisters street, a street i know well, a street where the 'serial scroungers' live, none of them are even trying to find work, they live to sponge.
They are all getting new upvc D/G windows and doors, new roofs (nothing wrong with the old ones), new kitchens and bathrooms and frontal makeovers

I walked with my sis in law and my nieces from school yesterday, we were behind a posse of Ms Chavs who were all discussing the problems they were having;
One of the poor souls had to spend over £400 pounds on takeaways for the baby spongettes in the last 2 weeks whilst the work was being done, reason being ' her cooker is dusty', " why cant the workmen clean up after themselves each day"

or

"why cant they send us on holiday while the work is being done":wow:

or

"they seem to make more noise when Jeremy Kyle is on":eek:

This is not from a third party, i actually heard them:(

V

·
0 Posts
i used to sub contract for connought who did a load of houses in Ellesmere. same thing as you describe wayne, new doors windows bathroom and kitchen.

the scroungers were the worst, trying to get anything they could extra for nought (some upgrades were available if the tennants paid the extra). the people who worked for a living on the other hand seemed happy with what they were getting and very pleased about it even when they only had the basic pack

S

·
0 Posts
i used to sub contract for connought who did a load of houses in Ellesmere. same thing as you describe wayne, new doors windows bathroom and kitchen.

the scroungers were the worst, trying to get anything they could extra for nought (some upgrades were available if the tennants paid the extra). the people who worked for a living on the other hand seemed happy with what they were getting and very pleased about it even when they only had the basic pack
This working household were very happy with the NI Housing Executive gave us gas heating 6 years ago. Finally got rid of the old Rayburn Rhapsody coal fire.

·
Registered
150 Posts
this is what is wrong with this country too easy to be a scrounger and a layabout. they all vote labour so the government wont do anything about it. instead of relying on eastern europeans to to jobs we brits supposedly dont want they should make these people work or stop the benefits

·
Registered
302 Posts
Spot on skellster, i would neuter the parasites as well. Instead of paying/housing them to breed a new generation who think its acceptable to be on benefits from school, and never contribute to society.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
It's enforced gentrification, seen a few of these estates have this kind of makeover round here to see that the council tenants have been ousted and the houses sold on as town houses to private buyers making lots of money for the local council.

Council tenants then get moved to new build housing developments problem is they dump all the scum in one place in a nice new estate for them to **** up.

Used to go out with a girl who had been allocated a flat in a Brunel Housing Development, thing is word on the 'street' was that Brunel got a development grant to build it from Manchester council as long as they took some of the more troublesome occupants of Mosside along with the grant.

Wonder who made lots of money out that deal, social housing, shudder, company I work for is currently doing fire and asbestos surveys to a couple of councils property estates and the scum they have to deal with on a daily basis is unreal.

One of our guys told me a story of how he went in one house and it was a **** tip and there were half dead druggies and spent hypos just laying around everywhere.

Not nice. :(

·
Banned
4,522 Posts
It could be the same estate that my sister lives on.

Unfotunately, she bought hers so is getting no work done at all.

B

·
0 Posts
Sorry to sound likr a broken record over a few threads but all of this is to do with a EEC directive that ensures all "Social Housing" across Europe meets a living standard by 2014. This goverment has received a 10 Billion grant for this purpose that is then allocated to the councils etc.

·
Registered
943 Posts
They are all getting new upvc D/G windows and doors, new roofs (nothing wrong with the old ones), new kitchens and bathrooms and frontal makeovers

(
How many houses is there, because £40K won't go far to have all that done?

V

·
0 Posts
40k per house mate:eek:

:)
:eek:

:tut:

:rant:

:mad:

when i did it iirc it was £12k per house which at the time (2006) we thought was well over the top.

40k is just absurd :tut:

another little story from when i was down there.
one off the wasters on the estate was having his work carried out, half way through he demanded the electrician leave his house. the tenant then went to the clerk of the works and accused the electrician of theft :eek:
all because the electrician had charged up one of the batteries for his cordless drill in the mans home, he did at the time rant and rave and said he wanted compensation, and if he did not get it would report the incident to the police:rolleyes:

after that we were issued with permission slips for tenants to sign to say it was ok to use their electricity :rolleyes:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Don't know the sizes of the houses, but

About 4k for the roof?
Double Glazing, what a couple of doors, 6 windows, erm 3K?
Bathroom? 5K
Kitchen round about the same
Makeover, could be anything, say a couple of grand?
19K?
Blind and off the top of my head.
(This does not constitute a quote:tut::D)

·
Registered
10,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't know the sizes of the houses, but

About 4k for the roof?
Double Glazing, what a couple of doors, 6 windows, erm 3K?
Bathroom? 5K
Kitchen round about the same
Makeover, could be anything, say a couple of grand?
19K?
Blind and off the top of my head.
(This does not constitute a quote:tut::D)
John, they are 3 bed semis, 6 windows, 2 doors,
40k is outrageous imho, and most will be trashed yet again by the 'poor unfortunate souls, that are desperatly trying to find work':mad:

·
Registered
943 Posts
John, they are 3 bed semis, 6 windows, 2 doors,
40k is outrageous imho, and most will be trashed yet again by the 'poor unfortunate souls, that are desperatly trying to find work':mad:
Ok, so maybe a bit more for the roof then, but I'd still guesstimate around 20k +.
40 does seem well over, though obviously without knowing exactly what's going into it, it's hard to say.

Having done a fair bit of council/housing association work in the past I know what you are saying about some of the tenants.
We've actually refused to do several properties until the council/HA have sent in cleaning/waste/pest teams to clear them out...
needles,
excrement(human and animal),
bags of rubbish rotting,
flea/fly/cockroach infestations
filth

...and these are houses that people are still living in, usually with children.
We've seen drug dealing, prostitution, had shots fired while we work and been threatened.

And the worst thing of all?
In amongst this scum are decent people, trying to live decent lives, taking a pride in their (and that's the key, they think of them as 'their') properties.

I do believe money should be spent bringing this housing up to standard. I'm not sure I believe that some of these people should be living there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My missus works for the Council. She is a Liaison Officer for council house renovations. Some of the stories she tells me about chancers who are screwing the system and getting off with it make me want to scream!!!:wow::tut:

Folk who've never worked a day in their lives, who are getting a new 3 piece suite in their living room because the joiners alledgedly scraped their chair while carrying in their new kitchen, which has, of course, been in a state of disrepair for many moons. :mad:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts