Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cath and I went up to the NEC show on Sunday, really enjoyed the day. I was a bit disappointed that there were no GTVs on the AROC stand, but plenty of other wonderful cars to daydream over.

However, on one of the classic car mag stands (sorry, forget which one) they are running a competition to win a green lhd 2000GTV. What puzzled me is that they are claiming it is worth £10k. Really? For a lhd in not-perfect condition??

I know that a little artistic licence will be used here, but do GTVs really go for that sort of money? We were hoping to get something for £5k tops.

Martin.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
The prices vary enormously starting with Ebay and ending up with the known dealers.
I think the C&SC GTV is top side as well, but their theory is that it is a little used car from a dry country and has never had any serious work done on it. Cars which have been played with can sometimes have weird and wonderful panel gaps.
Just keep an eye on the mags, the Owners Club classifieds, and websites like ClassicAlfa and Alfaholics. Ring round, get advice, and don't buy the first one you see!!
;)

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts
I'll echo that. Don't rush into buying one and get as much advice as you can. Early step-front cars in tip-top nick will go for over £10K, but you should be able to find a nice enough car within your price range.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
It's sort of in the magazines interest to talk up the price of that Car, makes it seem a bigger give away. That particular one came through, the 'alfa classic connections' people, they have others at not too disimilar prices. So C&SC, are only exagerating a bit I suppose.

I do think, though that the Dealers are trying to edge prices upwards, this can be good or bad, depending on which side of the fence your on I suppose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Funny thing is that if you look in the back of the very mag that the car is advertised in you will see that cars in show condition are not valued at that. I also think that the Classic Connections people ask absolute top dollar. 5 grand should see you get a good sound 2000 GTV that's pretty original. The current fashion for GTA replicas and historic racing has meant that the step front cars are in demand and difficult to find. The most commonly advertised cars at the moment seem to be late model GTJs.

Good luck with your hunt anyway

Richard

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Not sure I agree MRS, I'd say 7 to 8, for a really good one, Not saying you can't get one for 5K, far from it mine was a fair bit less than that. But most of the dealers want between 7 and 10 for a fully restored Car. Richard Norris even has a mint looking 1750 at 15000. :eek:

Like I said they are talking the prices up and if people buy them at that they will keep going up.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Rich - the price guides in the Classic mags are notoriously out of synch. They only update them once a year or something!! In the last Classic Cars mag, Andre Bloom the Aston guy had sold a DB6 and had a big note next to the pic which basically said "Would you please get the guys who do your price guide to give me a ring as they are miles out, but not as far out as the guys from C &SC!".
:rolleyes: :cheese: :cheese:

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have to say that the car at the NEC had a very shabby interior, it looked good on the outside but the interior was very rough.

That said with regards to value, I believe the competitions rules and regs state you have to keep the car for a certain period of time. So it's value is a bit acedemic really.

JaB

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
This month's C & SC says that the car is due to go down to MGS for some TLC before it is won.
:rolleyes: ;)

·
AO Silver Member, Classic Alfas Lounge Winner 09
1,315 Posts
RicksAlfas said:
This month's C & SC says that the car is due to go down to MGS for some TLC before it is won.
:rolleyes: ;)
That should cost more than it's worth :eek: !

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Bill Smith said:
That should cost more than it's worth :eek: !
Maybe it's just a sales pitch and what they are really going to do is send the office junior down to T-cut it and hoover it outside Mike's gates and just take a pic.
;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts