Outside/Fast Lane Hogs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 24-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: -

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Not Happy Outside/Fast Lane Hogs

I'm noticing a really infuriating trends on the motorways and dual carriageways of the UK... well the South East/East to be precise in this case.

It seems that a increasing number of the middle lane hogs of old have aspired to the outside lane of the motorways and dual carraigeways that I use on a regular basis. One particular guy this morning - approx 5am - on the M1 was sat in the outside lane on a stretch with just he and I on it doing 60 mph in his fecking Merc !!

I HATE undertaking but would he move over?? Wud he **** !!

At present I encounter 5 or 6 of these 'numbskulls' - for want of another expression that'd get me banned from here - every morning at the same sort of time !!

I also see similar behaviour on the A406 (North Circular), A11 and A14 !!

And don't even get me started of the standard of driving in North Suffolk and South Norfolk !!!

Is it just me, or is anybody else experiencing this

Phew I need a lay down in a darkened room now !!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Nomes when I lay my vengeance upon you.
AO Bratpacker No1
D I L L I G A F
*Muppet Attack Mode Activated*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

happy man

Re: Outside/Fast Lane Hogs

M6 comming back from the lake district this weekend it was amazing how many people in the middle and outside lanes just pootling along.

I had to resist the temptation to duck into the inside lane and over take the lot of em

AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Is it just me, or is anybody else experiencing this
Yes, but I assumed it was just weekend drivers as I usually only drive on the weekends.

Driving up to Birmingham for a meeting on Tuesday, so will report back (if I remember).
AO Platinum Member

I think this is becoming more and more of a problem
AO Silver Member

there are an increasing number of numbskulls on the roads nowadays,i get stuck behind a few on the A46 between coventry and the M5 every night, for some reason car drivers leave their brains behind and seem to think its ok to drive at 48 in a 60 zone, then slow to 30 in a 40, then 20 in a 30, hellooooo some of us would like to get to our destinations sometime this YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! one ******** was doing about 46 all the way braking everytime he passed a road on the left and braking everytime a car came in the opposite direction, he had a massive queue behind him but was completely oblivious, imagine my horror when we got to a lit section to see that he was driving a 156!!!!!!!!!!!!! and a GTA at that!!!!!! MORON
AO Member

I know exactly what you mean. When I started driving down the A11 everyday, I was amazed poor driving and the speed that people drive down it.

I normally try to go just below 80 and I spend the entire journey getting tailgated and passed by people doing well over 90.

The A14 is even worse. It has too many lorrys which just go for any gap about 2 inches longer than there lorry with no consideration for the speed of other drivers. Couple that with the same amount of tail gating and excess speed and you find yourself stuck in the middle land on what feels like a suicide run, lorrys trying to kill you on one side, and nutters on the other
AO Platinum Member

County: Neath Port Talbot

Undertaking?? Isn't that what the two inner lanes are for?? Like Nike, just do it.........
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Why don't people understand that they are overtaking lanes, for overtaking?
Nev

Well I was just blasting back for the aeroport
and got stuck behind a GB Peugeot doing 120kph
in a 130 zone in the fast lane.

Looked like the bloke was teaching his missus to drive
abroad.

Hint: KEEP F***ING RIGHT !!!

Also don't drive around with the fog and sidelights
on. Cops here are ticketing for that now.

(Post Link) post #10 of 32 Old 24-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

RRS TDV8 HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev
on. Cops here are ticketing for that now.
I wish they did that here !!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
I wish they did that here !!
Seconded.

Actually they do, but there's never many traffic cops on the road because they have safety cameras to do their job for them.
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

That is the whole problem with the roads at the moment...it seems that almost all recources are pumped into simply reducing drivers speeds as that is deemed as the ONLY bad form of driving! Everything else is simply ignored as it is not an easy revenue earner

Why are there not more traffic police on motorways in unmarked cars pulling people for sitting in middle or outside lanes and giving them a ticking off for doing so...and also giving them a gentle reminder that those two lanes are in fact meant for overtaking

Yesterday there were massive floods in Wakefield at around 5 o'clock and traffic was at a standstill due to major roads in and out being flooded. One bridge had water under it that was almost three foot high. It was on a dual carrageway and there was no where for traffic to turn round so it had to go through...this was after being sat in the queue of trafic for over an hour. When I finally got there I wondered why there was no police presence in case of emergencies (if two cars go through with mothers and children and they both take on water an dthe engine dies....traffic is blocked...mothers panic) or, why is there no traffic police re directing or informing motorists at the end of these large tailbacks in the centre. It was not as if they could not get through...we let two ambulances through whilst I was sat there.

Now, I am sorry for going on what must seem like a completely unrelated topic, but, on that same section of road tonight..in bright sunshine...what do I see sat in a industrial estate in road? A police Volvo with the passenger holding a speed gun!

They have the time and recources for that but not to do what I would deem as something they should be doing (traffic control in extreme circumstances!)

I'll stop ranting now

'I got my violence in high def ultra realism'
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers
Seconded.

Actually they do, but there's never many traffic cops on the road because they have safety cameras to do their job for them.
Thirded
Global Mod Team

County: Tokyo
Not Happy Re: Outside/Fast Lane Hogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev
on.
Every single [email protected]@dy cab driver in Tokyo seems to have them on, day or night. Aaargh
AO Silver Member

the police dont care anymore, unless someone is hurt or they can make £60 out of someone. i went to the England v Turkey game in Sunderland a few years ago, on the way up there was a plod car on every flyover keeping an eye on things, on the junction everyone had to get off at to go to the match a foreign truck had had a coming together with a car and was causing caos, sat not 15 feet away was a plod car watching the traffic coming up the dual carriageway, did they get out and assist the accident? did they hell, they just sat there watching the caos unfold, MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AO Silver Member

Must admit I have noticed the standard of motorway driving is deteriorating and especially in the South.

i headed down to Taunton two weeks ago and was undertaken four times. I was in the middle lane doing 78 (on the clock) and the outside was clear every time. It was just sheer ignorance.

I also noticed how very congested the roads are compared to up here. As soon as I got south of the lakes the motorway seemed to fill up to an extraordinary level. Even when I got to taunton and headed in to Ilminster the A roads were equally clogged. Kind of makes you think why anyone would bother with a decent handling car down that way as you would rarely ever have the chance to enjoy it.

Makes me appreciate how lucky we country hick Jocks are.

"The Drivel Devil'

"On a scale of one to ten, with ten being a sensitive, new-age man and one being a chimp throwing faeces, I'd put you more towards the monkey axis"

- Lips
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

In a similar vein, could you remind me what size vehicles are legally allowed to travel in lane 3 of a motorway? Without looking it up I can't remember but I'm sure a large number of the commercial vehicles that seem to travel in that lane frequently today, shouldn't be there at all. Or have I missed a change in the law.

I think it's a very dangerous practice that seems to be on the increase because it always goes unpunished.

wrinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo
In a similar vein, could you remind me what size vehicles are legally allowed to travel in lane 3 of a motorway?
I've been chuntering about that too....not sure so haven't commented but 've seen lots of the 5-tonners(?) in lane three. they're the ones you can drive on a normal license so I'm not about to start challenging them until I know

wrinx

VO2Max

Is it not just the big ones with a 56mph limit that are not allowed?

harrythesnotgobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgers_nadgers
Seconded.

.........'safety' cameras ..my ar5e.......they are for revenue only

AO Silver Member

Crazed Re: Outside/Fast Lane Hogs

Help me understand this thread.
In New Zealand we drive on the lefthand side of the road.
On a multi-lane motorway, the traffic enters and leaves the motorway on the lefthand lane. This lane is the slow lane.
The righthand lane is the fast lane, and everybody's supposed to use the left lane unless it's full, and overtake on the right.
I would also describe the righthand lane as the inside lane, and the lefthand lane as the outside lane. Inside and outside lane are not commonly used terms here.
Is this lane naming different in the UK?

We have similar problems with slow drivers in the fast lane, to the point where I wonder if overseas the righthand lane is meant to be the slow lane, and foreign drivers don't realise that's not the NZ way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim
"PS and you agree with Ben so you must be wrong "
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_NZ
Help me understand this thread.
In New Zealand we drive on the lefthand side of the road.
On a multi-lane motorway, the traffic enters and leaves the motorway on the lefthand lane. This lane is the slow lane.
The righthand lane is the fast lane, and everybody's supposed to use the left lane unless it's full, and overtake on the right.
I would also describe the righthand lane as the inside lane, and the lefthand lane as the outside lane. Inside and outside lane are not commonly used terms here.
Is this lane naming different in the UK?

We have similar problems with slow drivers in the fast lane, to the point where I wonder if overseas the righthand lane is meant to be the slow lane, and foreign drivers don't realise that's not the NZ way.

On a 3-lane motorway:

Lane 1 = Inside Lane = Slow Lane

Lane 2 = Middle Lane = 1st overtaking lane

Lane 3 = Outside Lane = Fast Lane or 2nd Overtaking Lane

But in practice:

Lane 1 = Lorry lane

Lane 2 = Default lane for people who like to stick to 60 and are
oblivious to what else is happening around them

Lane 3 = Endless stream of people just trying to get somewhere but
only have one lane they can use at a proper motorway speed
VO2Max

I'd agree with that!

AO Member

I hate these idiots! it causes road rage.
AO Silver Member

County: South Yorkshire

On the way back from MeadowHell yesterday on the M1 I pulled out to overtake two trucks that , I assume, had both drivers having a conversation. I mean, why else would they be sitting side by side for about six miles?

Anyway, got in the fast lane and almost instantly had to slam the brakes on (as did everyone else)..could not see why but after about ten minutes of doing 60mph in lane three and having lane 2 empty I pulled over and accelerated past about ten cars. I saw a row of about another ten cars in front with the ones right at the front all indicating left and pulling into lane 2, undertaking a car, and then back into lane 3 to prove the point! When I got there I saw some idiot in a Ford Focus sat in lane 3 doing 60mph without any intention of moving

I could have simply undertaken him like the others, but this really does wind me up, so I pulled in behind him, started flashing my lights and sounding my horn whilst also occasionally giving him a gesture to indicate that both other lanes were empty !!!

He didn't even look in his mirror! I bet all the others had tried something similar with no luck! Eventually, he did look and noticed me! He indicated, pulled into lane 2 and let me past...and then as soon as I was past he pulled back into lane 3 and blocked traffic again

Whats really annoying though is that whilst on the way to MeadowHell we saw three police vehicles sat at the side of the road with speed cameras!!! ...but I am going to start a new thread about that as I am in a ranting mood today

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page