Obese people - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

(Post Link) post #1 of 92 Old 18-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Obese people

What do you think of them? What do you believe they think of the way the rest of us are treating them? Do you believe they are discriminated against either professionally or personally? Do you believe that their condition is entirely their fault or that it can somehow be attributed to external causes?

PS: This may prove to be a sensitive subject so please choose your expressions carefully. Despite having used third person of plural i myself have exceeded the official level of "overweight" and am now in the realm of "obesity" being 105Kgs in weight and 184cms in height.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Re: Obese people

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfasud.ti
Despite having used third person of plural i myself have exceeded the official level of "overweight" and am now in the realm of "obesity" being 105Kgs in weight and 184cms in height.
I've got to say the medical definition of overweight and obseity are pretty loose. There are other factors than height and weight (e.g. muscle mass) that need to be taken into account.

My view on obseity is that it's a health risk and that in most cases if people want to do something about it they can (a bit like smoking really).

I'm sure there are people with genuine medical reasons for being obese but I'm also sure there are people who hide behind this rather then face up to the fact that it's their own life style which is to blame.

Never one to shy away from PC.

It always amuses me to hear.. the old cliche I cant help it, because I have a thyroid or other gland problems, whilst they are happily munching on their 5 th bag of crisps of the day.

Consume fat retain fat...so if you do have a slow metabolism, and are not an active person or their are medical circumstances which cause fat to be easily put on and stored....DON'T EAT FAT....but will power seems to be the real problem that and self esteem.

But if you are truly happy at the weight you are fat or thin, thats all that matters....and not what I personally think.

Chris
AO Silver Member

I know this is not "PC" but here goes

I have very little tolerance for obese very large people - not chunky people

1: Gluttony
2: Greed.
3: No Discipline
4: Drain on the countries resources (NHS, Sick days etc)
5: When on planes and one is beside me and leaking onto my side I want to puke and punch the person in the face. I dont because I'm a woose
6: I am appalled when I see fat parents with fat kids. You are killing them you stupid fat ****rds!
7: They are good to point at
8: They make me feel better, because I am none of the above, or below.
9: They can't drive because there fat arms cannot move over their fat chest to turn the wheel.
10: They sweat
11: They stink
12: They eat like pigs
13: They moan about how hard it is. Stop eating sh*t food, and exercise. AAAARFGGGGHHGGHGHGHGHHGH

I could go on forever.
AO Silver Member

wow talk about intollerance of other people, fat bashishing, last bastion of the bigot
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwocky
wow talk about intollerance of other people, fat bashishing, last bastion of the bigot
Yup
AO Silver Member

well at least you are honest about it, love to hear your views on jews and muslims
AO Gold Member

County: -

I don't think we should judge.

I've been overweight and classed as obese and I know it was my own fault. I ate too much and didn't exercise enough - simple as that. But I convinced myself for too long that it was because I had two children and once you've gained that weight it's there to stay. And I think that's what a lot of overweight people do - deep down I hated the way I was, but wasn't emotionally ready to do anything about it, so I persuaded myself it wasn't my fault.

Then something in my brain clicked and I thought "No more". It was affecting my work as my confidence was low and I'm sure my health and relationships were suffering too. So I decided to do something about it and whilst I'm still a stone heavier than I want to be, I'm happy with myself now, my confidence is far higher, I got promoted at work and life is better in general. I walked the Djbel Saghro in Morocco, something I would never have dreamed of a few years ago.

I think my point is, there are some people out there who have genuine health reasons for their size, some who don't, some who are genuinely lazy and greedy, and some like me whose weight gradually creeps up and are obese before they know it, but who's to say who is which one. It's miserable enough being overweight and you don't need other people judging you on top of that.

Well, that's my piece said!!!

PS - I do get incredibly angry and sad when I see obese kids though - especially when you see parents continuing to feed them chips, cakes and sweets

Passion: there are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your Heart...pursue those

County: Oxfordshire

I think that most people can help being fat, and that they should eat less and excersise more. It is a will power thing not to eat junk food, like it is to not smoke or drink. IMO.
Nev

Quote:
well at least you are honest about it, love to hear your views on jews and muslims

This is kinda true, and we should all learn to live and let live.
But what we should also be asking is why isn't society doing
more to help our larger neighbours?

If we taught kids from an early age about food and how to eat
correctly, this wouldn't be such a big issue. (No pun intended.)

And although you can equate it (in some respects)
to black/asian/gay/jew/muslim bashing there is one major
difference:
In a lot of (okay, not all) cases large people can actually
stop being that large.

N.

AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 2.5

Classing people you don't know i would say is a no-no as there may be any of a whole list of medical condidtions causing it.

While I was younger, I was borderline overweight / obese according to those charts at the docs (weight fluctuated between 14 1/2 - 15 3/4 st , 6ft). I used to be on my school's 1st XV rugby, and the best 400m runner in my year, and top 3 at the 800m. But I was not happy with by extra weight.

At one stage I went down to 11 3/4 st, but I had also stopped doing any exercise for a while. Now I was the right weight, but was more prone to colds, weak, and not generally feeling too healthy. I thought the girls would like it, but I remember being sat with an old mate - (female) who pulled out some photos of me when I was larger, and her mates were saying wow what happened to you, you look like a model in those pics!

Now I am getting back towards 14 st, I need to do some excercise, and I should be feeling great (even though I'm becoming a fat git, I feel better than I did when skinny). I would say you can tell yourself whether you are healthy by how you feel, sod those stupid charts.
(Post Link) post #12 of 92 Old 18-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

I believe that most people with bad habits are in a vicious cycle: They would like to be able to kick them but they would like to see the good results BEFORE or at the start of their effort, which never happens of course. At least this is the case with a heavily obese female friend of mine.

I believe that our way of living discourages us from getting ourselves to Do The Right Thing in many cases. You can't even think of exercising when you are working 9 to 9 which means that 14 hours of your day are lost at work (plus commuting) and you have as much as 3 or 4 hours spare time to see your loved ones, eat and socialize.

To many people exercise is not a likeable situation; for instance there are people like me who sweat like pigs when exercising even when they are at their best shape after months or years of going to a gym. Also the "social" aspect of a gym can be really frustrating but that's another thread.

Other than that there are several eating disorders that have only recently been recognized as such, like binge eating disorder which are related to other situations like high anxiety and even depression. These buggers are very devious, can easily creep into a person's life and are very hard to fight. Plain "will power" is simply not enough, one may need help to overcome them.

To me a severely obese person is in a similar fate as an anorexic living skeleton -you may remember the female model that had some pictures taken of herself in that state some time ago- and should be treated in a similar manner.

The problem is still with the so called style guru's and experts.

They do not have a clue about how different bodies work in any given situation...

So immediately tell you the wrong stuff over and over again...like cut your calories and excersise....

That is simply [email protected]

If you are over weight...and want to go to the gym or swim or excersize...you actually have to increase you calorie intake....But REMOVE FAT totally from your diet.

the extra calories, give you the energy requirement to do excersize to actually cut into stored fats....

how many obese people moan when cutting calories that they don't now have the energy to excersise and start running out of steam so then binge on [email protected]

Kill all the style guru's, and so called diet experts and perhaps obese people wqould stand a chance....

Chris
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

For every 1 person who is obese for medical reasons I will show you 20who are obese because they don't have the willpower to lay off the chips & fizzy drinks and do a bit of exercise. British culture is becoming too American in terms of allowing obesity to become acceptable and excusable. For the vast majority of obese people the casuse is simple: they consume more calories than they expend. It is just pure laziness and good old-fashioned gluttony. I have the willpower to not eat loads of fatty food all day and do a bit of exercise, so why should my taxes subsidise the increased cost to the NHS of obesity?

Too many people seek to blame others and find spurious excuses for their own shortcomings (another unwelcome American import) when they need to get off their backsides and sort themselves out

As for Alfasud ti's retort to Mike Russ about his views on Jews/Muslims etc I must say that's a nonsensical point. Discriminating against obese people has nothing whatsoever to do with discriminating on grounds of race. Being Jewish/Muslim/any religion is not a product of laziness. Being Jewish/Muslim is not a drain on the NHS. Being Jewish/Muslim is not a serious health risk. Being Jewish/Muslim does not mean you are likely to die young, leaving your family grieving.

I think it is absolutely RIGHT to discriminate against obese people, it's about time it became socially unacceptable to be vastly overweight again, just like it was a generation ago.

NB. I am not referring to people who are a couple of stone overweight, I am talking about major league fat people
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACAPULCO AL
As for Alfasud ti's retort to Mike Russ about his views on Jews/Muslims etc I must say that's a nonsensical point. Discriminating against obese people has nothing whatsoever to do with discriminating on grounds of race. Being Jewish/Muslim/any religion is not a product of laziness. Being Jewish/Muslim is not a drain on the NHS. Being Jewish/Muslim is not a serious health risk. Being Jewish/Muslim does not mean you are likely to die young, leaving your family grieving.

NB. I am not referring to people who are a couple of stone overweight, I am talking about major league fat people
Well put.

Now as you may be able to tell - forget illness) I'm talking about over eating - I have no patience and find the values and social effect it has unacceptable. I may have been blunt and "Non PC" and flippant but as with obesety I have less time for pussy footing around. I have the same opinion about smokers - I am an ex-smoker! People who damage themselves and expect the state to help them, plus pass on their habbits to their kids is one of the worst things you can do.

The fact it's kicked off a good argument also illustrates a lot....?
AO Gold Member

County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

2007 Ford Focus!

If someones comfortable in their own skin,then thats fine by me.
People are always judged whether they fall out of whats deemed "average" whether they be fat,thin,tall or short.
(Post Link) post #17 of 92 Old 18-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Quote:
As for Alfasud ti's retort to Mike Russ about his views on Jews/Muslims etc <snip>
Please read usernames more carefully...

Quote:
(Post Link) post #18 of 92 Old 18-08-06 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Alfasud TI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruss
Well put.

Now as you may be able to tell - forget illness) I'm talking about over eating - I have no patience and find the values and social effect it has unacceptable. I may have been blunt and "Non PC" and flippant but as with obesety I have less time for pussy footing around. I have the same opinion about smokers - I am an ex-smoker! People who damage themselves and expect the state to help them, plus pass on their habbits to their kids is one of the worst things you can do.

The fact it's kicked off a good argument also illustrates a lot....?
Is your opinion on anorexic people similar? They waste health-related resources as well; they only die sooner.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Quote:
Please read usernames more carefully...

*oops* my mistake, sorry

I'm sorry if my viewpoint offends anyone, it's not done with the intention of being offensive, however I stand by my opinion
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
people like me who sweat like pigs when exercising even when they are at their best shape after months or years of going to a gym.
That's me. It's unbelievable how much I sweat. My T-Shirts come out of the washing machine drier than they do when I come out of the gym. Doesn't stop me though!
AO Gold Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruss
I have the same opinion about smokers - I am an ex-smoker! People who damage themselves and expect the state to help them
Well, we do more to fund the NHS than we take from it as I understand.
wrinx

I see the usuall narrow minded views have appeared....there is ALWAYS an alternate perspective and deviations from the rule

I'll take this post as an example but it is representative of the thread and not to pick on Al.

Quote:
For every 1 person who is obese for medical reasons I will show you 20who are obese because they don't have the willpower to lay off the chips & fizzy drinks and do a bit of exercise. British culture is becoming too American in terms of allowing obesity to become acceptable and excusable.
Presume you can back up those figures? Anyway, people have the right to eat what they like...or not, simple really.

Quote:
I have the willpower to not eat loads of fatty food all day and do a bit of exercise, so why should my taxes subsidise the increased cost to the NHS of obesity?
Lots of people do other activities that knowingly may cause injury, are we to speak the same of them? What this is effectively suggesting is that we all pay for heatlh insurance...which is another discussion.

Quote:
Too many people seek to blame others and find spurious excuses for their own shortcomings (another unwelcome American import) when they need to get off their backsides and sort themselves out.
It's not all about willpower either, there are lots of emotional/psychological/physical/genetic reasons why people may overeat.

Quote:
As for Alfasud ti's retort to Mike Russ about his views on Jews/Muslims etc I must say that's a nonsensical point. Discriminating against obese people has nothing whatsoever to do with discriminating on grounds of race.
Whichever way you choose to wrap it up you are still discriminating against people because of a preconceived idea of who they are....the subject matter is irrelevant, discrimination is wrong! We are used to subjects such as gender, religion and ethnicity being talked about under this banner but it affects us in a much wider way.

Quote:
I think it is absolutely RIGHT to discriminate against obese people, it's about time it became socially unacceptable to be vastly overweight again, just like it was a generation ago.
So who else is on your hit list..no, I'll get more personal, this is an appalling response and one you should think about. For a start there will be many people on this form who are overweight and may find your comments hurtful, how do you plan to discriminate against them?

Quote:
Obesity comes in many different forms, it's not just about people you may think look overweight...are you going to decide who should and shouldn't be discriminated against?

Using negative methods to promote healthy eating is not going to work, educating and supporting people is the way to go. I would hope that if I had an illness (of whatever type) there would be people there to help and understand, not condemn.

Whilst I agree being overweight may have health consequences, there are many activities that have similar or greater impact upon a body but are deemed socially acceptable...strangely, all in the name of exercise!

wrinx

Last edited by wrinx; 18-08-06 at 14:46.

AO Silver Member

County: Cambridgeshire

As Cartman said "I'm not fat I'm just big boned!"

I think if people get fat because they choose to because of their own lifestyle so be it.. live and let live (even if it for a shortened life span).

Where I get very f#cking angry is where parents don't even give their kids a chance because they are too lazy to cook them proper nutrious food and encourage them to take exercise. Especially when the parents blame it on a lack of education.. FFS if you love your childern go and educate yourself to look after them!! GRRRRR
wrinx

Parental responsibility....that also is affected by many variables

wrinx

I do agree with much of Wrinx has said...however I disagree in the most part that persons have genuine reasons...

I understand compulsive disorders, and other anxiety based illness can affect the way that you eat, but those that have these do understand the consequences of the types of food they are eating....

So Wrinx's argument falls down...sorry Wrinx

I have seen few experts on TV that actually give good advice, but there are a few....if you need to eat or have uncontollable deires...due to many factors...choose to supply your fridge & shelves with high calorie, but low fat & sugar intake products, such as peanut bars....muesli, fruit....etc. Then indulge in them rather than the usual comfort foods such as chocolate and crisps, chips, etc...AND NEVER EAT LATE AT NIGHT....

(your body is knackered and is starting to slow down for rest..so can not process the food taken correcty)

The problem is that The human brain gets extra endomorpines of various types that make you happy when eating Fats, and complex sugars, so effectively becomes hooked and addicted to such products....and thus the vicious cycle begins.

Which means unfortunately the only answer is cold turkey or hard medicine..... give up the junky desire for the fats & sugars give you....it is tough, but your brain will adapt and the pleasure levels will return with the correct intake of foods.

as for excersise take it easy....after a meal go for a small walk for 20 minutes thats all it needs...you dont have to pound the weights or run the treadmill like a nutter...its all about returning your body where the food levels particular to your body type and metabolism can be put into some sort of harmony...

Everyone is different and processes food differently, and the problem is that the message from the TV is there is only one way...and it tends to be one way for one type of person.....usually the nubile spindly thing giving the message...

Chris

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page