Average Speed Check - what does it mean? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 09-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol
Average Speed Check - what does it mean?

Whilst travelling south on the M1 this morning and entering the roadworks just south of Luton, I spied the sign saying ‘Average Speed Check’ .

Now, what is the significance of this sign? Does it imply that our average speed is being checked against the signed maximum speed limit? Does it mean that if our average speed is higher than the speed limit we face a conviction? Or perhaps a prize?

Or is it a tease with no real significance? Simply there to worry us with more signs than we really need?

Surely they can’t convict on average speed if they don’t indicate what the permitted average speed is. And it will, by definition, be lower than the signed maximum speed no matter how long a stretch of road it is tested over.

As we all know, our average speed is always lower than the maximum we may achieve in any journey.

Otherwise we could have some fun by passing the start point of an average speed check, drawing to a halt for a few minutes, perhaps ten minutes, then accelerating to the maximum possible speed of whatever vehicle we’re in, safe in the knowledge that our average speed would still be below the signed maximum.

Or have I got the concept completely wrong?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Re: Average Speed Check - what does it mean?

It's the SPECS system. Bascially, it's a series of camera's that pick up your car and time it over a set distance. If you go through that distance faster than a car at the speed limit, you will be prosecuted for speeding. I'm seeing the cameras more and more now, they're becoming quite popular in road works. They look like CCTV cameras, one poiinting at each lane. There can be just two or a lot more in series. It's similar to the way the french have been timing people between Peage points on the autoroute. Down right stingy if you ask me. But as far as i'm aware, threre's nothing to stop you pulling over and taking a break before continuing!
AO Member

County: Greater London

Would that be the section of the M1 roadworks with the whacking great 50mph signs in place?? If you didn't notice the '50mph in 3/4 mile, 1/2mile, 1/4mile and every 1/2 mile after the limit then i'd seriously be considering a trip tpo the opticians.

If you can find your front door that is........

Just like Truvelo, they also give a nice picture of the driver, which means you can't claim your 90 year old granny was driving your transit that day..

James

County: Greater Manchester

The SPECS cameras are quite often mounted on posts that look like they have been filched from a shopping precinct. They are very effective at car & number recognition and calculate speed between cameras and (I think) from start to finish of the controlled section if several sets are involved.

It is not a tease, unfortunately.

I have a Road Angel, which is a Godsend as a warning sometimes (assuming I've recently updated the thing! )
AO Platinum Member

I've seen the SPECS cameras by roadworks along the M62 too, but they only had the normal speed camera warnings. If your aim is to porevent speeding its a good idea, as it prevents people slowing down for the cameras and then speeding up as they go by.

The first time i saw them being used in anger was when i was going up to Edinburgh, they had them at all the roadworks on the motorway north of the border. TBH it worked well, everyone stuck at 50 through the road works. Better than just putting normal speed camera's there and getting someone driving like a ****** in the roadworks. I've got a Snooper S6-R and it picks them up and tells you when you've past the last one so you can tramp on again.

What's with all the motorway roadworks now seeming to be going down to 40 as well?
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnywb
What's with all the motorway roadworks now seeming to be going down to 40 as well?
I think they've done that after some roadworkers got killed.

Is the snooper still leagal, I thought they were banning them?
AO Member

County: Suffolk

Member car:

156 1.9 jtdm

There have used them quite often on the A14, But they dont bother me on my motor bike as they read your front number plate, I just give them a friendly wave as they try andget me.

Dose any one want to buy a Kawasaki ZX6R?? need to seel to pay for the 145 cloverleaf.

Yeah the snooper is still legal, as is the road angel, Beltronics stuff etc. The Government didn't have a chance to pass the new Road Safety Act before the last general election. This is the piece of legislation that was going to make them illegal. I'm going to change it to an Origin when i change my car as it can be mounted more discreetly. Plus it's got a built in jack for plugging in the laser unit which will open the electric gates at home. Apparently the laser unit might also jam police lasers or something, but obvisouly that's highly illegal and i'd always turn it off once i wasn't near home.....
(Post Link) post #10 of 18 Old 10-05-06 Thread Starter
AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Bristol

I was attempting to make the point that an average speed check, for those who understand averages, does not achieve the aim of preventing people from travelling at speeds higher than the posted maximum.

Therefore, what's the point

AO Rosso Alfa Member

Member car:

156 2.0 JTS

Boring Re: Average Speed Check - what does it mean?

I have done that stretch of motorway at the desgnated speed limit. As someone said, everyone does seem to stick at the limit. However, I found the experience a bit 'zombie' like, as in lacking stimuli, especially in the middle lane. In which case everything on the left and right is more or less moving at the same speed so it's like being on a river or something. Anyway, I find my attention wondering because it was extremely boring (ZZzzzzz) over that distance
VO2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo
I was attempting to make the point that an average speed check, for those who understand averages, does not achieve the aim of preventing people from travelling at speeds higher than the posted maximum.

Unless you can do the sums in your head as to how long you should be taking to cover the stretch of road, I guess you'd be inclined to stick to the limit, rather than surges of speed in between the cameras, which is what you might intend to do if they were standard cameras?

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn145
There have used them quite often on the A14

was that on the orwell bridge?
i hate these feckin cameras you cant speed up between them
VO2Max

QED! :d

AO Silver Member

County: Hertfordshire

I heard a rumour that the Big Brother cameras don't like Alfas (and Mitsubishi Evos) because they can't handle an offset front number plate and therefore can't nick you.

Anyone else hear this?

And no, I haven't tested this theory.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire

Unfortunately that is not true just call me six point Sandy possibly more after hitting 3 mobile vans today between 75-80 not in my car and so not used to the speed creep when watching the road as I always use cruise control to curb my right foot. bloody Toyota corolla bereft of any feeling 70-80 seem the same and the sneaky barstewards were sitting on a bridge at the bottom of a hill just around a bend on two occasions, wonder why they picked that spot, nice little earner. Hopefully I spotted them in time they were about 900yards away when I clocked them and checked my speed.

Last edited by sandys; 10-05-06 at 22:09.
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Octavia vRS tsi

I think a revolving number plate like Mr Bond had in Goldfinger would be quite handy!
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo

Realistically, there's no real way of catching people going faster than the limit unless you have an infinite number of cameras (or more pragmatically, one every 200 yards or so). Its surely better than the accident inducing braking that discrete cameras cause?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page