The football discussion thread - Page 1221 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

 1900Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Status: Gormless [email protected]*
AO Gold Member
 
Paddy OPlastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 8,144

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Borrocking borrox.
Paddy OPlastic is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,682

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Leeds fall at the final hurdle after a storming game sees Derby win 2-4, 4-3 on agg
Our perennial capitulation.......my 20yo son who I warned not to support Leeds Utd is away out in a huff....stalking the streets.....poor lad.....he has years of misery in front of him.

I think i will see the grave before I see Leeds back in the top tier......ahh well.....no one has died

Last edited by ronan; 5 Days Ago at 21:01.
ronan is offline  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,300
If Bielsa stays, I’m not sure if there was any truth in the reports he’d walk if they didn’t get promotion, if he stays I think you’ll be one of the front runners next season. Clearly shown this season that you’re up to the challenge so next season you should be in a different mindset to push on. And a lot of the players will be hurting, knowing they’re more than good enough to go up
Gaz is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
Leeds fall at the final hurdle after a storming game sees Derby win 2-4, 4-3 on agg
Great game really. Leeds looked so dominant in the first half but Derby were inspired in the second.
You did have to wonder if the Leeds fans' Lampard-baiting chant might come back and bite them.

I feel a twinge of sympathy (a very, very small one admittedly - it is durty Leeds, after all) for them though as it looked for so long like the prodigal son would return to the top table.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,682

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

During the match new expletives were created....my wife,Anne hid in the bedroom with the door closed tight.
Just the normal Wednesday evening in the Ronan household........
Let's do it all over again this time next year.
ronan is offline  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 13,664

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I had a feeling last weekend that the door was closing on Vincent Company's time at City. They way he was after the Brighton game and what he said was a bit of a give away.

I'm deeply sorry to see him leave. He has been a huge part of everything that has happened at City since the takeover. A fearsome competitor on the pitch and an absolute gentleman off it. Intelligent, articulate, professional to the end. City always have played better with him in the team.

I hope that things work out well for him at Anderlecht because I would absolutely love to see him back at City one day in a big grey cardigan on the touchline continuing the pep philosophy. Hopefully with Zaba also back coaching defenders in the art of sticking your head in front of everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GettyImages-924132416_1558289421726.jpg (123.9 KB, 4 views)
73GTVJim likes this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
keithyboy is online now  
Status: New job, location new car :-)
AO Silver Member
 
AmicusPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,395

Member car:

159 SW TBi

If the only way to get rid of Sanchez was a swap for Bale (loan or otherwise) and the wages involved were identical, would that be worth it? On the plus side, we are being linked with some decent youngsters so long as we get back to playing the right way, and don't totally bomb, Ole will get some time.
AmicusPro is online now  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I had a feeling last weekend that the door was closing on Vincent Company's time at City. They way he was after the Brighton game and what he said was a bit of a give away.

I'm deeply sorry to see him leave. He has been a huge part of everything that has happened at City since the takeover. A fearsome competitor on the pitch and an absolute gentleman off it. Intelligent, articulate, professional to the end. City always have played better with him in the team.

I hope that things work out well for him at Anderlecht because I would absolutely love to see him back at City one day in a big grey cardigan on the touchline continuing the pep philosophy. Hopefully with Zaba also back coaching defenders in the art of sticking your head in front of everything.
It was obvious he was leaving, as you say, and it wasn't surprising as he's showing his age a bit this last two seasons. Can't disagree with the summary of him, especially as he embodies some of those old, professional traits and values that are disappearing not just from the game but from society, it seems at times.

Let's hope he's back as your manager in the next two seasons.
Another Gulf war in your owners' back yard wouldn't be too bad either*







*For the hard of intellect - this is a JOKE! Thankfully, we don't have any idiots in the regular contributors to this thread, but just in case......
keithyboy likes this.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jan 2019 New Giulia Veloce Misano Blue
2008-15 New 159Ti experience: overwhelmingly positive. Reliable and fun over nearly 100k.
2015-18 147 1.6TS runaround
6/9/12 - 15 New Mito 135MA Distinctive - 100% reliable 37k
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
If the only way to get rid of Sanchez was a swap for Bale (loan or otherwise) and the wages involved were identical, would that be worth it?
AP you are beginning to sound like Ed Woodward or one of the board members.......
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Half man Half biscuit
AO Silver Member
 
jparkin486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bramley
County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Posts: 1,357
Garage
Now we have got the appetizer at Wembley out of the way, the real football returns under the Arch.

Nervous excitement for the L2 playoff is starting, work is going to suffer this week! I've booked Friday off so I can start the drinking early! and even bought a new footy shirt (Strange how the ones I had in the 90's have shrunk over time!!).

Looking for a comfortable 6-0, but would take a nerve shredding 1-0. Just, please no extra time or peno's!!

Come on Tranmere!!! Mickey Mellon's Super White Army
FredDibnah, Starkers and keithyboy like this.
jparkin486 is online now  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 13,664

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmicusPro View Post
If the only way to get rid of Sanchez was a swap for Bale (loan or otherwise) and the wages involved were identical, would that be worth it? On the plus side, we are being linked with some decent youngsters so long as we get back to playing the right way, and don't totally bomb, Ole will get some time.
I think you'd be getting much the same in return. Reports coming out of Spain suggest that Bale is happy to collect his money and play golf until his contract is up.
73GTVJim and AmicusPro like this.
keithyboy is online now  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I think you'd be getting much the same in return. Reports coming out of Spain suggest that Bale is happy to collect his money and play golf until his contract is up.
TBF there might be more end product with him on the pitch than with Sanchez so I get AP's argument that it might represent better value but he's not right for us. It'd be yet another sticking plaster temporary fix even assuming he isn't injured half the time.
AmicusPro likes this.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: New job, location new car :-)
AO Silver Member
 
AmicusPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,395

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
AP you are beginning to sound like Ed Woodward or one of the board members.......
Unless I'm missing the lovely associated wages and perks, I can assure you... I was merely looking at how we get rid of an overpaid player no-one wants (assuming we can't offload some of his wages to Inter or invent a reason to put him on unpaid "gardening leave").

If I was Woodward, then I would be better at sharing rumours and link to the right people... honest :-)



(ok, I mis-read your e-mail of "sounding like"...!)

I agree with your follow up though... I would see it only as a short-term improvement but only if in addition to the other "expected"/required signings if it meant the alternative was a Sanchez that did absolutely nothing.
AmicusPro is online now  
Status: Thinking about a Scirrocco
AO Platinum Member
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton.
County: Good old Sussex by the sea
Posts: 12,624

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkin486 View Post
Now we have got the appetizer at Wembley out of the way, the real football returns under the Arch.

Nervous excitement for the L2 playoff is starting, work is going to suffer this week! I've booked Friday off so I can start the drinking early! and even bought a new footy shirt (Strange how the ones I had in the 90's have shrunk over time!!).

Looking for a comfortable 6-0, but would take a nerve shredding 1-0. Just, please no extra time or peno's!!

Come on Tranmere!!! Mickey Mellon's Super White Army
Good luck.
Starkers is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: United Kingdom
County: Powys
Posts: 1,010

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

Balotelli is out of contract if you're looking for a Sanchez replacement.

Glad to help



Imagine him and Pogba in the same squad though
JRow is offline  
Status: strongstablestrongst able
AO Platinum Member
 
keithyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cambodia
County: Phnom Penh
Posts: 13,664

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRow View Post
Balotelli is out of contract if you're looking for a Sanchez replacement.

Glad to help

<img src="https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/smile.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" class="inlineimg" />

Imagine him and Pogba in the same squad though [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/images/smilies/alien.gif[/IMG]
If you could get both of them to consistently achieve their full potential, that would something to see.
keithyboy is online now  
Status: Half man Half biscuit
AO Silver Member
 
jparkin486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bramley
County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Posts: 1,357
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkers View Post
Good luck.
Cheers bud.

I'll be interested to see how Potter fares at BHA next season. Thought after Houghton they'd have gone with someone with Prem experience.
jparkin486 is online now  
Status: Thinking about a Scirrocco
AO Platinum Member
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton.
County: Good old Sussex by the sea
Posts: 12,624

Member car:

The train :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkin486 View Post
Cheers bud.

I'll be interested to see how Potter fares at BHA next season. Thought after Houghton they'd have gone with someone with Prem experience.
It's an interesting appointment, I guess I ought to be excited about it.

I don't know much about him other than that he is bringing some of his backroom staff with him (pretty standard) and that he is supposed to play attacking football. Whether he will be able to do that in the Premier League, with the resources that we have at the moment, will definitely be a test for him. Perhaps he has been promised some money.
Starkers is offline  
Status: Half man Half biscuit
AO Silver Member
 
jparkin486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bramley
County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Posts: 1,357
Garage
Seemed odd to go that far down the championship for a manager, wonder if it was case of who they could afford not who they wanted.
jparkin486 is online now  
Status: Thinking about a Scirrocco
AO Platinum Member
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Brighton.
County: Good old Sussex by the sea
Posts: 12,624

Member car:

The train :(

His first managerial job was at Ostersund (Sweden) in 2010, where he lead the club from the fourth tier of Swedish football to the first, winning the 2017 Swedish Cup and reaching the knockout stages of the Europa League - everyone has to start somewhere!
Starkers is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
If you could get both of them to consistently achieve their full potential, that would something to see.
One for Pep to have a go at seeing as he's your old boy.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: Winning small victories
AO Platinum Member
 
73GTVJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 24,347
Apparently Real Madrid fans have voted, well some ~170 thousand or so, for the half dozen players they most want at the club next season.

Predictably Eden Hazard romps it with most of the vote but *sniggers* Pogba trails in a very distant last with something like 13,800 votes.

I doubt they will, but I really hope Pogba and his rapacious agent read that and start asking themselves "why?". He has made no secret he wants to go there. Raiola even mentioned it at the time he signed for us! He thinks he's so good everyone wants him. Think again sonny. You're 26. You can't keep coasting and resting on supposed potential and occasional minutes of brilliance in a season.
AmicusPro likes this.
73GTVJim is offline  
Status: New job, location new car :-)
AO Silver Member
 
AmicusPro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Nottinghamshire
Posts: 3,395

Member car:

159 SW TBi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73GTVJim View Post
Apparently Real Madrid fans have voted, well some ~170 thousand or so, for the half dozen players they most want at the club next season.

Predictably Eden Hazard romps it with most of the vote but *sniggers* Pogba trails in a very distant last with something like 13,800 votes.

I doubt they will, but I really hope Pogba and his rapacious agent read that and start asking themselves "why?". He has made no secret he wants to go there. Raiola even mentioned it at the time he signed for us! He thinks he's so good everyone wants him. Think again sonny. You're 26. You can't keep coasting and resting on supposed potential and occasional minutes of brilliance in a season.
A small part of me likes the idea of voting, but a bigger part doesn't trust others to do their due diligence and not look beyond the big names/headlines... And at least while it isn't an option, I can still give me opinion without voting! :-)
AmicusPro is online now  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Psychological screening SpiderMonkey Poll Room 26 22-03-11 19:57
World Cup Discussion Thread! phil155 Way Off Topic 81 18-06-06 20:26

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome