The difference between a ‘terror’ attack and an act of terrorism? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

2Likes
  • 2 Post By soolka

(Post Link) post #1 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

County: Surrey
The difference between a ‘terror’ attack and an act of terrorism?

As you probably know, there was a pretty scary event in Manchester today.

According to the BBC: “A man, 41, is being held on suspicion of terror offences after three people were stabbed and two others were hurt.”

Someone has created ‘terror’, then is held for a terror offence. Ok, got it.

Did we call such things terror events in the past? Does it sound too close to - and is hence confused for - a ‘terrorist’ attack? Usually a terrorist attack has some political or religious motivation behind it, or is conducted by a terrorist group. A terror attack is usually conducted by someone with, well, issues.

Calling events like today’s a terror attack could make or scare folks into thinking there are many more ‘terrorists’ among us, which probably isn’t true.

Any thoughts?

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Kent
I see what you mean about this semantic game that the journalists, and the police , are playing. I always feel uncomfortable when the Police spokesman describes happenings and incorporates their feelings in a tabloid style. This event in Manchester could from the sound of it was the act of an individual rather than representing a shared message with others.
(Post Link) post #3 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

It always seems that the press are always desperate to make the IS connection. That today's attacker has been detained under the mental health act must be a massive disappointment to them.
(Post Link) post #4 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
It always seems that the press are always desperate to make the IS connection. That today's attacker has been detained under the mental health act must be a massive disappointment to them.
Agree.

Last edited by Scudetto; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:38.
(Post Link) post #5 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
It seems to me that those in control wish to keep the entire population in a constant state of fear.

Maybe to justify the ever-increasing Big Brother-style rules and regulations, which seem Hell-bent on eroding our diminishing, already fragile, privacy rights.

Just put it all down to terrorism - or acts of terror - and itís all done for our own protection.
cue2 and Cavyracing like this.
(Post Link) post #6 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by soolka View Post
It seems to me that those in control wish to keep the entire population in a constant state of fear.

Maybe to justify the ever-increasing Big Brother-style rules and regulations, which seem Hell-bent on eroding our diminishing, already fragile, privacy rights.

Just put it all down to terrorism - or acts of terror - and itís all done for our own protection.
Except the police didn't say the Manchester event was terrorism; they said not to make any assumptions. They did involve their anti-terrorist branch, which is consistent with not knowing.

Meanwhile the thing that receives little publicity is the number of times they intercept people planning terrorist acts - from memory I think it's 22 this year. The risk is real and they're actually having some success protecting us.

Out of interest, can you cite the rules and regulations you mention? Not sure which ones you mean.
(Post Link) post #7 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

County: Carmarthenshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Except the police didn't say the Manchester event was terrorism; they said not to make any assumptions. They did involve their anti-terrorist branch, which is consistent with not knowing.

Meanwhile the thing that receives little publicity is the number of times they intercept people planning terrorist acts - from memory I think it's 22 this year. The risk is real and they're actually having some success protecting us.

Out of interest, can you cite the rules and regulations you mention? Not sure which ones you mean.
I absolutely agree that an awful lot of hard intel. work goes on behind the scenes....out of the public eye. I, for one, am extremely grateful for the cracking job our security forces do, in order to minimise the damage certain whack-jobs can inflict upon us.

However, I feel the “terrorism” bandwagon is too often jumped upon, by those seeking to justify the intrusion into our allegedly private lives. The UK is bristling with CCTV surveillance, facial recognition is being used/trialed at various shopping centres/museums etc., our data is being endlessly Hoovered up and no - I’m not a tin-foil-hat wearing conspiracy theorist!

Wanting to maintain a degree of personal privacy does not necessarily mean an individual has something to hide. With so much information being constantly harvested, I cannot help but think......who is watching the watchers?
(Post Link) post #8 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

I agree there's a concern about the surveillance cameras. I think they began their spread as a counter to everyday crime, but yes, the terrorism fear has undoubtedly increased them. Overall, it's probably a good thing they're there, but we do need real control of how the info is used, and our legal system traditionally lags way behind the times. Perhaps madly, I twitch more about commercial surveillance than about the crime prevention stuff, although the potential for misuse of the latter is obviously more serious.
(Post Link) post #9 of 9 Old 4 Weeks Ago

Did you watch 'Capture'? I've just finished a binge-watch on iPlayer.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Off Topic Section > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page