Anxiety dreams - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

18Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Anxiety dreams

Does anyone have a kind of 'stock' dream they have which is either a cause or symptom of anxiety? One that repeats - not necessarily frequently, but is something you've experienced several times.

I do. In fact (and I'm not sure whether this is weird) I have quite a selection of them.

Let's get the obvious one out of the way first. Being at school, and realising you're naked. Yep. Still have this one, despite now being in my forties! I can at least report that in the dream I'm still a kid, otherwise it might be even more worrying. I'm not sure anyone else even features in the dream, strangely enough the thing I remember most from it is the place - cloakroom of my primary school.

I have one where I'm driving along a road, and a traffic light ahead turns red. I brake, but can't slow down in time, and I go through the intersection anyway. I then accelerate again, and another light in front turns red, this constantly repeats with me never able to stop in time.

There's at least a handful more, but whenever I come to think about them, they disappear into the ether.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I occasionally have a dream where I lose my teeth, one comes out quite normally, but by the end they're like melting ice cubes - which just crumble away to nothing. Apparently it's linked to money worries.

I had the naked one, and it was the same, in primary school, walking out at playtime to other children teasing, being of the age where being naked in public didn't fill me with dread, I just remember thinking 'why didn't my mam give me any clothes to wear??'

Never had that one since.
(Post Link) post #3 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

I have a recurring one where I'm in uni and the finals are approaching and I haven't been to any lectures, have no notes and have done no revision.
(Post Link) post #4 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Yes, the teeth one! I absolutely have that one. I think it's one of the worst in fact.

PP - Yours rings a bell more as a memory than a dream.
(Post Link) post #5 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
PP - Yours rings a bell more as a memory than a dream.
It certainly has a base in reality but not quite as extreme.
(Post Link) post #6 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

I have one where I am at work, gives me the heebie jeebies.
(Post Link) post #7 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

I don't generally remember my dreams but in the 12 months leading up to doing finals at university I had one particular dream a lot. I am driving home and pull up at the house I used to live in a few years ago (this is 17 years ago). I go upto the door and open it with the key, pick up the post from the mat and start looking around. Suddenly I remember I don't live there anymore and start to panic, then I wake up. I also had the teeth falling out one, I found that one less unsettling for some reason. Only have these dreams when something is really stressing me out which is probably why I remember them.
(Post Link) post #8 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
I used to occasionally have 2 recurring dreams fitting this general theme:

1) Sitting down on something not there and falling.

2) Trying to run away from or towards something but feeling movement seriously impeded - as if running through treacle, or some other viscous fluid.
(Post Link) post #9 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I don't get enough sleep to have time for dreams.
Pud237 and alfabeat like this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Too anxious?
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post

2) Trying to run away from or towards something but feeling movement seriously impeded - as if running through treacle, or some other viscous fluid.
I occasionally get a falling dream, but I'm walking along the top of a steep verge, when one of my legs goes out from under me - it normally wakes me up as I jump, leave the surface of the bed and kick out pretty spectacularly, much to the annoyance of some of my past partners.

Strangely only happens when I'm in the process of nodding off - and sometimes more than once a night.
(Post Link) post #12 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I don't think I've had it for a long time, but I used to have one where I was walking alongside a swimming pool, on a walkway which had the usual ridged surface - but it was only about 3 inches wide between the pool and a wall.
In a terrible bit of Health and Safety planning, the swimming pool had been filled with Piranhas.

I'm not sure that I ever fell in, but I was eternally on the brink of doing so.
AO Member

County: Berkshire

Member car:

159 V6

I have been having a recurring dream for the last few years about surfing in an idealic looking beach expecting the water to be cold but for it to actually be bath like and just generally having a really good time riding the waves some of which are enormous. I did use to surf quite a bit when I was younger but haven't for a few years now. Not sure what this means!

I have had the typical naked and teeth falling out dreams too. The worse type of dream I have is that I am in a physical fight with someone but every time I try to punch them if feels like my arms are moving through the thickest substance known to man so when I do hit them it's like I am hitting them in slow motion!
(Post Link) post #14 of 32 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Oh, despite never having done the stereotypical peeing in a wardrobe when drunk, I also occasionally have a dream where I'm piddling in the wrong place, and someone's about to come in but I can't stop. So prim and proper am I though, that the shocking place I'm usually weeing is a sink.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post

I get the running one!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I also get sleep paralysis from time to time which is a weird feeling.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I’m conscious that I dream every night – all quite intense dreams, most of which I remember. I wish I could take my brain out and pop it in a jar next to my bed before I go to sleep so I can rest undisturbed by the madness in my head.

I do have a re-occurring dream (every three/four weeks). I’m trying to get to an airport to catch a flight. It’s always an overseas airport. It’s variants of this; the airport is visible from the dual carriageway, but I’m too far from it to get to it. Like Chris, my legs are also useless in this dream (or my lungs can’t take in enough air) and I’m getting angry that I can’t run fast enough to get there. If I use my phone to call, either I can’t grab my phone properly, or I can’t see the screen properly and the numbers I’m trying to press are kinda dissolving in front of my eyes; the inability to make a call to let folks know I’m running late, means the frustration mounts further. Or, I can’t get to passport control in time, and again, my legs aren’t working, or I discover I haven’t checked in and now I can’t find my ticket and so on. And, as it’s overseas, I’m struggling to ask for help, too.

I don’t doubt that the airport dream is a reflection of/form of latent mild anxiety creeping up on me when I sleep; it’s a healthy anxiety rather than a Pop-Some-Pills anxiety, but I really, really hate that damn airport dream.
cnut likes this.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Apparently, the difficulty in running dream is linked to low self-esteem. Wouldn't say I have low self-esteem but I'm usually wrong about most things.....
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
<MontyPython>Dreams! Ya posh git!<MontyPython>

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
I always dream Iím driving the car. Except Iím sitting in the rear seats trying to brake.
AO Member

Member car:

156 2.5 V6

Sometime I have difficulty running in dreams as well as you guys do. I'm usually trying to run and hide away from someone/something but I never have a chance and I feel that I, in my dream force myself to 'wake' up to spare me from the consequence of the one pursuing me.

Another common dream is linked to real life. At home, the toilet is not securely bolted down to the floor. I mean, it doesn't move, but it also isn't 100% secure. I have had recurring dreams of the toilet moving, falling over. Or the toilet not being there and having to just use the hole in the ground. Or using the toilet, only for it to be away from the plumbing and making a mess. There is no loss of bodily functions in bed after these dreams thankfully.
(Post Link) post #22 of 32 Old 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickhoughton567 View Post
I always dream Iím driving the car. Except Iím sitting in the rear seats trying to brake.
Ooo. That's a good one - yep, I've had similar too. Driving the car and realising you're in the back seat and can't reach the controls properly.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Last night I dreamed I was changing the clutch in the GT.
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
I've never had the teeth one but certainly the being naked in a variety of situations and feeling totally embarrassed and shamed with nowhere to hide.

Another very regular one though not for a few years now involved playing football and allowing a pass to run across or in front of me but being unable to catch up with the ball and agonising as I try to get there before an opposing player, constantly, repeatedly failing and letting everyone down. The same running hard but hardly moving sensation others have said.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Don't have many recurrent dreams but I do occasionally have one where, as I step forward I realise that I am 'bouncing' quite high in to the air. By exerting more pressure into my steps I can start to 'bounce' higher to the point where I can actually get airborne. That's the point at which I realise I am sort of flying and shouldn't be and start trying to work out how to control it and not slam into the ground.

Fortunately I am not naked with my teeth dropping out when it happens.
cnut and Harvo like this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page