Way Off Topic on other random forums. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 1 Post By Verbout
  • 2 Post By bazza

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
The other week, I had to do an image search (don’t be smutty!), and the search took me to a gaming site. I know zip all about PC/online gaming so forgive me for not knowing/remembering what game it related to (car chase or shoot ‘em up - dunno.)

Anyway, given this is an unknown world to me, I thought I’d look at its version of WoT to see what they’re talking about more generally, which isn’t a bad way to measure a bit of society’s pulse, esp if the contributors are international. (Btw, there’s no great punchline or learning to this post.)

One common theme (and this may have been an in forum joke) were comments about feeling worthless, or most days being pointless. Now, before we send in social services, my hunch - based on the language used and topics discussed - was that a bulk of the contributors were young ish, between school/college/uni or between part time jobs; hence, maybe their current state of woe. (There were some more upbeat posts though, and some very funny and observationally excellent ones.)

Have you ever stumbled across a random WoT that you wouldn’t normally view, and what insight if any did it give you into that group as a snapshot of that community?

(Pls - no ‘I went into the Audi/BMW/Merc site and they’re all active with their right hand’ - after something maybe a bit more unusual/revealing, if possible.)

Over to you!

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

I use a computer forum called OCUK sometimes.

Their version of WOT is called General Discussion. In it, a scarily large number of people compete to see how excessively right wing they can be. Someone genuinely suggested Eugenics as a solution to the problem of the teenager throwing a kid from the Tate museum balcony the other day. This was before anything was even known about the teenager, but apparently forced sterilisation of the poor would have stopped it.

So there you have it. Tech types are apparently untra right wing in general.
(Post Link) post #3 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post

One common theme (and this may have been an in forum joke) were comments about feeling worthless, or most days being pointless.
Hardly surprising on a gaming site. Most gamers spend most of their days tucked away in a room in solitary confinement with vitamin E deficiency. Sheez, I'd feel the same if my life revolved around a console.
I'm just surprised they can recognise the fact.
(Post Link) post #4 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Vitamin D?
Harvo likes this.
(Post Link) post #5 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
Hardly surprising on a gaming site. Most gamers spend most of their days tucked away in a room in solitary confinement with vitamin E deficiency. Sheez, I'd feel the same if my life revolved around a console.
I think you might be using the Daily Mail version of what gaming is. I'm sure you're not wrong that it can be. But 'most'?
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
On an audio forum I follow there’s often discussion about watches and sometimes there’s some mention of bicycles. A lot of discussion is on the way the particular brand of Audio/visual products is managed, generally critical and questioning how much longer it can continue as it is....
(Post Link) post #7 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbout View Post
Vitamin D?
That's what I said........
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
I think you might be using the Daily Mail version of what gaming is. I'm sure you're not wrong that it can be. But 'most'?
'most' that would be users of a gaming website? But point taken.
(Post Link) post #9 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake.
Harvo likes this.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
'most' that would be users of a gaming website? But point taken.
COuld have been worse, you could have blamed them for shootings like the Americans are busy doing currently.

Would you beleive that Walmart are currently removing computer games from display - but continuing to sell guns.

I'm only sensitive because I would consider myself a gamer.
Al Faromeo and Harvo like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I think ours is the most normal and open. The Saab forum is very self-righteous. I left a Jag forum because the off topic section was like a far right chapter of the Freemasons.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Also, not a forum, but judging from the C63 facebook page every owner except me drives around at 150 at all times with the trousers on fire.

It's also full of people who are in their early twenties. How the hell have they afforded this car?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
COuld have been worse, you could have blamed them for shootings like the Americans are busy doing currently.

Would you beleive that Walmart are currently removing computer games from display - but continuing to sell guns.
That's ludicrous. I'm no gamer but have indulged in a few laps of Spa on my mate's playstation (gran turismo I think?). Afterwards I have driven home within the law. This is the same for shoot 'em ups surely?
(Post Link) post #14 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
It's also full of people who are in their early twenties. How the hell have they afforded this car?
*cough* selling drugs *cough*

But not all of them.

I keep hearing about/reading about youngsters who have either given up on the idea of getting on the property ladder for many understandable reasons, or those that see no value in being saddled with a mortgage. To some, rich life *experiences* mean more (esp if you can post it on Instagram) than scraping a living to secure long term investments; it’s not necessarily a view I hold, but I can see where they’re coming from - and the right now fun of AMG is considerably more exciting than spending years building a house deposit for properties that, for each passing year, only get more expensive to buy.

(Here’s a reverse version of that, which sort of says the same thing. My sis has a friend called Kate. She is married to Paul, a wig in the music industry. Paul had a Testarossa. Last time I saw him, I asked him ‘where is your Testarossa?’ With the look of a broken man, he dropped his eyes and replied: ‘Kate wanted a new kitchen.’)
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Jesus, that must have been an expensive kitchen.
(Post Link) post #16 of 20 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Kate was... quite demanding... 😉
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
I use a computer forum called OCUK sometimes.

Their version of WOT is called General Discussion. In it, a scarily large number of people compete to see how excessively right wing they can be. Someone genuinely suggested Eugenics as a solution to the problem of the teenager throwing a kid from the Tate museum balcony the other day. This was before anything was even known about the teenager, but apparently forced sterilisation of the poor would have stopped it.

So there you have it. Tech types are apparently untra right wing in general.
Quote:
Quote:
Bazza, man! :bangheed:
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Also, not a forum, but judging from the C63 facebook page every owner except me drives around at 150 at all times with the trousers on fire.

Merc C63...? The drug dealer's car of choice?

I have no idea...

Ralf S.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
That's ludicrous. I'm no gamer but have indulged in a few laps of Spa on my mate's playstation (gran turismo I think?). Afterwards I have driven home within the law. This is the same for shoot 'em ups surely?
To be fair.. the last shooting game I played that was "a bit too realistic" I could only manage for an hour or two. Afterwards I had a regression of PTSD.

It was much easier to go blasting for days when games were only as sophisticated as Duke Nukem and/or the "baddies" were a load of penis-shaped hairless dogs (Quake?).

Ralf S.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
Bazza, man! :bangheed:
I thought the last line of my post you've quoted was pretty clearly sarcasm, no?

It didn't seem to add anything to the value of the post, but I can give you details of the left wing members who wage a running battle of words with them if it helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page