Errors on CVs - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

11Likes
  • 1 Post By rxe
  • 1 Post By Sterzo
  • 3 Post By Pud237
  • 5 Post By Keithy
  • 1 Post By Ralf S.

(Post Link) post #1 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
There are many ways to filter out CVs. Should one of them be spelling or typo errors? If so, could you be overlooking a genius who is a poor speller? Should you overlook a typo or a spelling mistake and concentrate on the content, instead?

Or is your CV the first chance to make a first impression and therefore it must be right?

I guess many of you have kids leaving uni this year who maybe applying for jobs. What CV advice would you give them?

Also, is there an alternative way* to get yourself noticed without using a CV?

*legally, obviously!

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.

Last edited by Scudetto; 4 Weeks Ago at 21:55.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Lying on a CV is commonplace isn't it. Akin to the false lives people lead on social media.
I'm sure most employers can see through this though so I'd suggest a well written CV with no over the top embellishments and knock 'em dead in an actual interview.
(Post Link) post #3 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Good point, mate. I wasn’t thinking of lies as such - infact, I hadn’t though of that - but mistakes resulting from sloppy proof reading/no proof reading.

But as you mention it, that’s worth throwing into the ring, too 👍
(Post Link) post #4 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

With all the tools and information available, especially online these days, to my mind, there is no excuse for misspellings on CVs - unless its handwritten obviously.

Regarding 'stand-out' CVs, I was sent a genius "CV" from a game designer, and it was an 80's retro platform game, the levels being different parts of the CV, experience, references etc - you could control the player, but you didn't have to do anything special like fight monsters etc.

Must have been 10 years ago now, and remains the most ingenious CV I have ever seen... Others have included pop up books, puzzles etc.

If you're writing one from scratch, my number 1 piece of advice is to keep it brief, it only serves to get you in front of a prospective employer.

I briefly flirted with a career in recruitment, well 8 or so years anyway.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
(Post Link) post #5 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

That game idea is terrific, if you have the skills/time to do it.

I guess there’s a bit of a ‘spray n pray’ approach to CV distribution. And I totally understand why. That means that often with CVs, we get very bland covering letters (‘I’m very interested in a career in your industry’, while never specifying the industry); even a tiny bit of tailoring would help them stand out a bit.

It’s tough though for applicants and I don’t want to dishearten them.
(Post Link) post #6 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
That game idea is terrific, if you have the skills/time to do it.

I guess thereís a bit of a Ďspray n prayí approach to CV distribution. And I totally understand why. That means that often with CVs, we get very bland covering letters (ĎIím very interested in a career in your industryí, while never specifying the industry); even a tiny bit of tailoring would help them stand out a bit.

Itís tough though for applicants and I donít want to dishearten them.
The bit in bold.
I would treat any generic application as spam.

And yes, spelling and grammar.
If it's a genius applying he or she should understand the importance of this and get a non-dyslexic acquaintance to proof-read
(Post Link) post #7 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

And that chucks in another dilemma; folks who are dyslexic - not all - often take different approaches to problem solving (which is handy) and can be more creative. So on a CV should they down play it or state it? Theirs is a reading/writing challenge that’s unlocked with the right tools, and they could be a brilliant asset to the workplace.
(Post Link) post #8 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Although I am a pedant when it comes to spelling and grammar, I am of the opinion that you have to give a bit of leeway to people whose standards are not as high as you would like them to have. Unless the industry in which you reside is the publishing or newspaper industry, then it's about their skills and not their standard of English.
(Post Link) post #9 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
I review a lot of CVs, and hire a lot of people.

Categories that get CVs binned:

More than 2 pages - if you canít get the salient points of your life over in 2 pages, then I donít want you writing stuff for me.

Typos - careless. If you canít write a CV then you canít write public facing documents.

Having skills in everything. You donít, nobody does, itís a lie, and youíll waste one of my interviewers time finding out.

Flowery sections on why I want to hire you, your biggest mistake, what you do at home. I donít care.

Unless youíre a contractor, lots of 2 year (or less) employments. Youíre either useless and being found out or you donít like finishing stuff. If you serially join companies and are bored with them quickly, you have bad judgement.
Ralf S. likes this.
(Post Link) post #10 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

My careers advisor at school always said 'you don't get a second chance to make a first impression'. Get someone you trust to check your CV for typos and other errors it really is that important. Always try to tailor the CV to the job you are applying for, I know it's a PITA but it really improves your chances.
(Post Link) post #11 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Do errors matter? It depends on the job. Used to recruit system testers, business analysts, developers and managers, and one typo might be OK; any more would be a distinct disadvantage.

Saw some fabulous CVs and application forms. Thank you, Mr X, for telling me what made you happy instead of what you could do. An ex-colleague claimed to have completed a project which I ran, not him. I enjoyed replying.

My favourite was an application form asking for a photo and any motoring convictions "For Sales Vacancies Only." This was not a sales vacancy, but the applicant included a pic of himself in a mask and snorkel jumping off a diving board, and claimed to have been convicted of "Driving with undue care and attention."
AlfaDrivingFan likes this.
(Post Link) post #12 of 19 Old 4 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
I received one once with no address, phone number or email address on it.
(Post Link) post #13 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
Do errors matter? It depends on the job. Used to recruit system testers, business analysts, developers and managers, and one typo might be OK; any more would be a distinct disadvantage.

Saw some fabulous CVs and application forms. Thank you, Mr X, for telling me what made you happy instead of what you could do. An ex-colleague claimed to have completed a project which I ran, not him. I enjoyed replying.

My favourite was an application form asking for a photo and any motoring convictions "For Sales Vacancies Only." This was not a sales vacancy, but the applicant included a pic of himself in a mask and snorkel jumping off a diving board, and claimed to have been convicted of "Driving with undue care and attention."
Brilliant! I trust he got the job and is now CEO of the company?
(Post Link) post #14 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

The whole point of a CV is to illustrate to the prospective employer, whether or not you have the skills/experience for the position you are applying for, so typo's are quite important.. but not the be-all.

As a CV reviewer;

1) Does Kaarolyne have a name that is spelt different to convention? Yes he does. He's going to be "eccentric" and a Crazy. Great if I want someone for media/creative arts... but I don't. I didn't get to where I am today by hiring Crazies. So Kaaz goes in the bin.

2) Does the applicant with a sensible name have the right skills I want (key words in amongst all the grey lines of drivel about how they single-handedly saved ICI from ruin etc. that are applicable to the role, or any qualifications that are relevant)? I'll read on.

3) Job stability. At least 5 years in two of their last three of jobs for a PAYE... contractors are different. First-jobbers and youngsters I give much more leeway to. But I don't want drifters and flakers. I didn't get to where I am today by hiring drifters and flakers. Drifters and flakers go in the bin.

4) The CV is for me to find the right person, so minor typo's and grammar... I'll put my eye on them in the interview.. but generally not a problem unless there's "too many". I didn't get to where I am today by having a "hard" too-many either. One might be too many, or ten might be, depending on whether I like the rest of the CV or not. But if I have 5 similar CVs and I want a short-list of 4... guess which one goes in the bin?

5) Hobbies and interests are not that interesting, particularly if it hints at a life more exciting than mine. Don't mention interests and hobbies. You'll go in the bin.

6) Concise, so I know what you can do for me/the position is better than a load of flannel that leaves me wondering whether you were a fighter pilot in the air-force, or a cleaner for British Airways. If I can't tell what you actually did, you go in the bin. If I can tell what you did but that's not what I'm looking for... you go in the bin (but with a little regret).

7) If you have your photo on the CV and you look like a Donkey/Chav/Crazy.. you go in the bin. Similarly, the CV has to be a piece of paper with words, in black ink, on it (Arial font ... not Comic Sans or anything with too many seriphs, please). I didn't get to where I am today hiring people who can't understand what their CV is for and how it is used. ComicSans goes in the bin. Any colour not black goes in the bin.

8) Anything that pops up, I need to plug in, download Jizzasoft 3.5, start, wind up, power, construct or de-code etc. might be very clever and creative.... but I have 300 CVs to read and I didn't get to where I am today by wasting time plugging in, downloading Jizzasoft 3.5, starting, winding up, powering, constructing or de-coding . Yours goes in the bin.

9) Usually I am left with 2 or 3 good CVs. Perfect!

Ralf S.

No bullets for Chaingun..
(Post Link) post #15 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Ralf reviewing CVs
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 84E9ED5B-BAFD-43E2-9691-EFA5A356E90D.jpeg (16.5 KB, 3 views)
Ralf S., Sterzo, SanRemo78 and 2 others like this.
(Post Link) post #16 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Ralf reviewing CVs
Super!
(Post Link) post #17 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishendrix View Post
Super!
Great!

Not everyone will get it...

Ralf S.
chrishendrix likes this.
(Post Link) post #18 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf S. View Post
I need help with my CV
Not experience. There are a large number of services that will help you with writing CV . Here, for example - https://paidpaper.net/paperhelp-review/ . On this site you can find a large number of reviews on services that provide services for writing written works. Essay, resume etc. Pay attention to the advantages and disadvantages of the authors and choose the most appropriate option. I wish you good luck.

Last edited by qusserel; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:40.
(Post Link) post #19 of 19 Old 3 Weeks Ago

County: -
I can't say better than this post https://zety.com/blog/how-to-write-a-cv
I believe one of the most important things in CV is "Organize this all on a professional CV template"
Also, I'd like to add this site that can help you too

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page