Chernobyl - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

56Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Chernobyl

Any one else watching this TV mini series ?

Its chilling, massive state propaganda, lies, misinformation and harrowing scenes of the sacrifice and deaths of so many of the people that sorted the disaster out.

The period costumes and depiction of live at that time brings the whole thing into a very interesting program.

Having worked in a radiation environment for 30 years the sound of the gieger counters buzzing makes my skin crawl
Wobbley and Chris155 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

It is an addictive series. Frightening. I think it is the last one today so we shall be watching this evening.
(Post Link) post #3 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015 crop.jpg (142.7 KB, 17 views)
FredDibnah and MalcQV like this.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:55.
(Post Link) post #4 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Scaryingly brilliant.

Last edited by ronan; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:35.
(Post Link) post #5 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Anyones wives/girlfriends enjoying it too, or is it more of a bloke's TV program?
(Post Link) post #6 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
I don't have Sky but so want to see this. So I'm going to subscribe to the HBO network via Amazon Prime for a 7 day free trial and watch them all over a week.

I've heard of a few female friends who are really enjoying it. My wife is wanting to watch it.
(Post Link) post #7 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Premio

I might suggest it to the Mrs then. We're about to finish the last season of Lost, which I've been trying to persuade her to watch for about ten years.

County: Cork
Garage
Excellent mini series, but as previously mentioned it's chilling !

I watched the last episode (5) earlier.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
I have all 5 episodes on the sky box. Started part 1 but stopped half way. Feel I need to start again. Got to be in the mood for this series I feel
Gaz
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?

County: Lancashire
It’s a tough watch, but extremely brilliant. I’m stuck on Ep4 currently, heard about the dog shooting scene and can’t pluck up the bravery to sit through it

Watching people dissolve in a hospital bed is fine, shooting dogs isn’t!
AO Member

County: -
Excellent series, I am watching the final episode today. My wife is just as crazy about it as I am.
(Post Link) post #12 of 122 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

What a program !

I read up about the causes of the reactor explosion and the sequence of events yesterday. It was all there in the final episode, word for word.

The dog scenes are hard but this is the reality of what would have happened, this place has animals again now i guess.
@amfalconer - that must have been really interesting, i didn't realize you could go there, fascinating.

Its a difficult program to watch but chilling - watching the men come out as heroes and knowing they will only have weeks to live.

Fab series
Chris155 likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!
Cream and alfabeat like this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Stop talking about it, I don't want to know what happens in the end!
AO Member

County: Cork
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.
I started reading Midnight in Chernobyl last night. Opening few pages are, well, real page-turners. Not sure how it will compare with Serhii Plokhy's work on it. I read his The Last Empire: The Last Days of the Soviet Union book. Found it very well researched, dense enough.
amfalconer likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

My missus loved it. It's written very well, there is at least one part changed to make the series/TV better and easier to follow perhaps but it is mentioned at then end and totally understandable.
AO Member

County: Kent
Watched it via NowTV. Brilliant - best series of any type I've seen.

Highly recommended for either sex - a well balanced blend of drama, gore, heroics and politics. The authenticity was fantastic and the audio...the rumbles, the shrieks of the geiger counters...eerie and unsettling.

The fact they used a g-counter that only went up to 3.5 so they thought "that ain't too bad". How wrong they were. Many "oh...fk..." moments.
Cream likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Suffolk
Chilling

Quote:
Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!
Yeh! Great idea! Why donít you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
Yeh! Great idea! Why don’t you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!
First off, wind your effing neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times - Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chern...ation-9853460/

Last edited by amfalconer; 1 Week Ago at 10:26.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
First off, wind effing your neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

I don't think I would want to go...but it's a free world.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Agree completely, each to their own! but if, like me, you have a scientific interest in the disaster, or fancy a glimpse behind the iron curtain 30-odd years back, or want to see how nature recovers after a man-made disaster, then there is no finer place.

Didn't think it would lead to being called a fu***ng idiot though!
Harvo likes this.

Last edited by amfalconer; 1 Week Ago at 14:28.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Gotta love Alfaowner

I would love to visit Chernobyl, I'd be more worried about Russia/Ukraine kicking off than the radiation, it'd be just my luck.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Believe it or not, it was on my radar for some time before I went, the political situation was pretty diabolical - police snipers taking out people in Independence square and all!

Despite that, the people were largely friendly, and just do a google image search for "kiev nightlife"

Not that I saw any 'nightlife' I was too knackered from the trip out..
AO Silver Member

Chilling

Quote:
First off, wind effing your neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

Well all that is really reassuring. I donít think so!

Where did they get the dosimetry instruments? - local car boot sale? And what did they use for a source to calibrate them? A bit of detritus, lying around on site.

Anyone who would willingly expose themselves to those kind of hazards, are idiots. Plenty of Nuclear industrial workers have died, despite dosage rates being within limits.

Time, Distance, Duration and Shielding. Not sure of the shielding a forest provides. But just to be on the safe side, have a fortnights holiday, in a tent, under the stars - or whatever else glows in the dark. Madness.

Some people shouldnít be allowed to go abroad.
AO Silver Member

Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I don't think I would want to go...but it's a free world.
Thomas Cook - Travel Insurance.

Risks covered - Malaria, Ebola, Dysentery, Berri - Berri etc.

NHL - no!

But carry on. Everyone has a choice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page