Chernobyl - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

 56Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Cream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: wrexham
Posts: 1,553

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

Chernobyl

Any one else watching this TV mini series ?

Its chilling, massive state propaganda, lies, misinformation and harrowing scenes of the sacrifice and deaths of so many of the people that sorted the disaster out.

The period costumes and depiction of live at that time brings the whole thing into a very interesting program.

Having worked in a radiation environment for 30 years the sound of the gieger counters buzzing makes my skin crawl
Wobbley and Chris155 like this.
Cream is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
(Post Link) post #2 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,437

Member car:

Office Chair.

It is an addictive series. Frightening. I think it is the last one today so we shall be watching this evening.
MalcQV is offline  
(Post Link) post #3 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,456

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0015 crop.jpg (142.7 KB, 17 views)
FredDibnah and MalcQV like this.

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes

Last edited by amfalconer; 2 Weeks Ago at 13:55.
amfalconer is offline  
(Post Link) post #4 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,767

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Scaryingly brilliant.

Last edited by ronan; 2 Weeks Ago at 17:35.
ronan is offline  
(Post Link) post #5 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,678
Anyones wives/girlfriends enjoying it too, or is it more of a bloke's TV program?
Pud237 is online now  
(Post Link) post #6 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: Loving the GTA
AO Silver Member
 
alfabeat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: United Kingdom
County: Herefordshire
Posts: 3,945
I don't have Sky but so want to see this. So I'm going to subscribe to the HBO network via Amazon Prime for a 7 day free trial and watch them all over a week.

I've heard of a few female friends who are really enjoying it. My wife is wanting to watch it.
alfabeat is offline  
(Post Link) post #7 of 122 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,678
I might suggest it to the Mrs then. We're about to finish the last season of Lost, which I've been trying to persuade her to watch for about ten years.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: BORED
 
David P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 84,781
Garage
Excellent mini series, but as previously mentioned it's chilling !

I watched the last episode (5) earlier.
David P is offline  
Status: Half man Half biscuit
AO Silver Member
 
jparkin486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bramley
County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Posts: 1,431
Garage
I have all 5 episodes on the sky box. Started part 1 but stopped half way. Feel I need to start again. Got to be in the mood for this series I feel
jparkin486 is online now  
Gaz
Status: Privileged
Regional Support North
Is there a meet near you?
 
Gaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Behind the wheel
County: Lancashire
Posts: 63,310
It’s a tough watch, but extremely brilliant. I’m stuck on Ep4 currently, heard about the dog shooting scene and can’t pluck up the bravery to sit through it

Watching people dissolve in a hospital bed is fine, shooting dogs isn’t!
Gaz is offline  
Status: Getting the full Alfa-experience
AO Member
 
John Sahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Denmark
County: -
Posts: 356
Excellent series, I am watching the final episode today. My wife is just as crazy about it as I am.
John Sahl is offline  
(Post Link) post #12 of 122 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Cream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: wrexham
Posts: 1,553

Member car:

Brera 2.4SV

What a program !

I read up about the causes of the reactor explosion and the sequence of events yesterday. It was all there in the final episode, word for word.

The dog scenes are hard but this is the reality of what would have happened, this place has animals again now i guess.
@amfalconer - that must have been really interesting, i didn't realize you could go there, fascinating.

Its a difficult program to watch but chilling - watching the men come out as heroes and knowing they will only have weeks to live.

Fab series
Chris155 likes this.
Cream is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,456

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!
Cream and alfabeat like this.
amfalconer is offline  
Status: Half man Half biscuit
AO Silver Member
 
jparkin486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bramley
County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Posts: 1,431
Garage
Stop talking about it, I don't want to know what happens in the end!
jparkin486 is online now  
Status: -
AO Member
 
fabiocity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Ireland
County: Cork
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
I've been watching it, it's been incredible, easily one of the best docu-drama's I've seen, and it topped IMDB's TV chart after only 2 or 3 episodes

Also worth a read is Serhii Plokhy's Chernobyl: History of a Tragedy book - which complements the series quite nicely, as well as giving an insight into the aftermath, and what happened to all of the key players.

I've had an interest in the accident for some time, I visited Chernobyl back in 2017, and it was a staggering place, I'd wholeheartedly recommend it - the costume designers and location scouts (some of it is actually filmed in Chernobyl) have done an awesome job.
I started reading Midnight in Chernobyl last night. Opening few pages are, well, real page-turners. Not sure how it will compare with Serhii Plokhy's work on it. I read his The Last Empire: The Last Days of the Soviet Union book. Found it very well researched, dense enough.
amfalconer likes this.
fabiocity is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
MalcQV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Greater Manchester
Posts: 13,437

Member car:

Office Chair.

My missus loved it. It's written very well, there is at least one part changed to make the series/TV better and easier to follow perhaps but it is mentioned at then end and totally understandable.
MalcQV is offline  
Status: Alive - that'll do for me.
AO Member
 
NuovaApe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: England
County: Kent
Posts: 40
Watched it via NowTV. Brilliant - best series of any type I've seen.

Highly recommended for either sex - a well balanced blend of drama, gore, heroics and politics. The authenticity was fantastic and the audio...the rumbles, the shrieks of the geiger counters...eerie and unsettling.

The fact they used a g-counter that only went up to 3.5 so they thought "that ain't too bad". How wrong they were. Many "oh...fk..." moments.
Cream likes this.
NuovaApe is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
Yes, incredible trip - and you're right the place is teeming with wildlife again, there's lots of stray dogs and cats milling about, all are tagged with radiation dosimeters so their health and radiation absorption can be monitored - whilst stray they love the tourists as they get well fed!

I think you've been able to visit since about 2011, and it's not expensive - I think a day trip was about 95USD, think the whole weekend, flights, accommodation and the trip was under £400, and Kiev (Kyiv) is a beautiful city, and it's so cheap.

Everyone thinks it's quiet and deserted, but far from the truth, and by now almost none of it's 'as left' it's all been moved about and fiddled with for the sake of 'arty' photos..

I'd reccomend it to anyone, but get in quick as I predict the tours will be booked solid, and prices will likely rise on the back of this HBO series!
Yeh! Great idea! Why donít you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!
sizewell is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,456

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizewell View Post
Yeh! Great idea! Why don’t you take your kids as well - the younger the better! In fact, why not your pregnant partner - f. Idiots!
First off, wind your effing neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times - Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chern...ation-9853460/

Last edited by amfalconer; 1 Week Ago at 10:26.
amfalconer is offline  
Status: 6 YEARS LYMPHOMA FREE!! :)
AO Silver Member
 
ronan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Belfast
County: Down
Posts: 4,767

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
First off, wind effing your neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chern...ation-9853460/
I don't think I would want to go...but it's a free world.
ronan is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,456

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Agree completely, each to their own! but if, like me, you have a scientific interest in the disaster, or fancy a glimpse behind the iron curtain 30-odd years back, or want to see how nature recovers after a man-made disaster, then there is no finer place.

Didn't think it would lead to being called a fu***ng idiot though!
Harvo likes this.

Last edited by amfalconer; 1 Week Ago at 14:28.
amfalconer is offline  
Status: Busy busy busy!
Club Member
Membro Premio
 
Pud237's Avatar
 
Club Member Number: 71
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Cumbria
Posts: 44,678
Gotta love Alfaowner

I would love to visit Chernobyl, I'd be more worried about Russia/Ukraine kicking off than the radiation, it'd be just my luck.
Pud237 is online now  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
amfalconer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: United Kingdom
County: Hampshire
Posts: 2,456

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Believe it or not, it was on my radar for some time before I went, the political situation was pretty diabolical - police snipers taking out people in Independence square and all!

Despite that, the people were largely friendly, and just do a google image search for "kiev nightlife"

Not that I saw any 'nightlife' I was too knackered from the trip out..
amfalconer is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
First off, wind effing your neck in, nobody's forcing you to go!

Secondly, the radiation absorbed is no more than you'd absorb on a 2 or 3 hour aeroplane flight. The half-life of the worst emitting 'nuclear' Caesium 137 particles is 30 years, coupled with the fact that 33 years of rainfall and other ecological growth means most dangerous particles that escaped cleaning are now well underground.

We took along a dosimeter/geiger counter and at no point did we encounter anything remotely scary, and most of the time, nothing more than background radiation - approx 0.13 microsieverts, same as you'd find anywhere else in the UK

I went being well aware of the risks, and nobody under 18 is allowed in (no kids), other than that, your paths are dictated, and known safe places, and you're also checked for any radiation no less than 3 times Its not like they take you into the reactor hall or anything, and you can't have your photo taken with the elephants foot.....

oh, and as predicted: https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/06/chern...ation-9853460/
Well all that is really reassuring. I donít think so!

Where did they get the dosimetry instruments? - local car boot sale? And what did they use for a source to calibrate them? A bit of detritus, lying around on site.

Anyone who would willingly expose themselves to those kind of hazards, are idiots. Plenty of Nuclear industrial workers have died, despite dosage rates being within limits.

Time, Distance, Duration and Shielding. Not sure of the shielding a forest provides. But just to be on the safe side, have a fortnights holiday, in a tent, under the stars - or whatever else glows in the dark. Madness.

Some people shouldnít be allowed to go abroad.
sizewell is offline  
Status: -
AO Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: United Kingdom
County: Suffolk
Posts: 3,000
Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I don't think I would want to go...but it's a free world.
Thomas Cook - Travel Insurance.

Risks covered - Malaria, Ebola, Dysentery, Berri - Berri etc.

NHL - no!

But carry on. Everyone has a choice.
sizewell is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome