Things you purchased that work well - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

81Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 132 Old 24-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Volvo/Mini

Things you purchased that work well

As we don't have an opposite to the Rant Room I will use WOT for this.

I would like to sing praises of the highest order about my new lawn mower.

Dibnah towers has a fair old sized set of lawnage. The front area of grass is about 10m wide x 8m long(plus a few smaller sections here and there, and the back lawn is 25m wide x 60m long with a fairish slope on it for extra effort.

It's always been too big for anything electric (as evidenced by the graveyard of burned out Flymo carcasses in various sheds) but about 10 years ago I purchased a Suffolk Punch self powered petrol mower to tackle it all. To be fair - it was good for the first summer, albeit weighing a ton and having the worlds smallest clippings catcher that needed emptying halfway down each run) - but just prior to leaving for Abu Dhabi it had already given up being a reliable starter despite costing 500 quid ++ and would have none of it when I returned. I asked at the local mower repair place about fixing a non-starting Suffolk punch and he laughed liked a BMW dealer being offered a 156 in p/x (personal story - but painful).

Given my legendary meanness I looked long and hard for a replacement which would be cheap but strong enough for the job. I talked to pro gardeners who made the mistake of engaging in conversation as I walked the hound and all roads pointed to the expensive but hugely recommended Honda Izzy petrol mower. 400 quid - but apparently better value for money than an M&S suit. One gardener I spoke to said that the lads at his work get in early so they can grab an Izzy for their days work rather than any of the other makes because they are so easy and reliable. You can get an okey-cokey petrol mower for 200 quid off Amazon, but it'll be a pig.

I finally took the plunge at the end of last summer and loved it. I loved it even more when I did the first spring cut of the lawnage a few weeks ago when it started - as it always does - on the first 3 mm of cord pull after just a splash of fresh 2019 petrol.

Every review I read about is true and more. It's light (despite having a decent 4 stroke engine on it), the clippings bag shreds and compacts so it only needs emptying every other leap year, and it starts in a way that only a Honda can. Apparently Honda are the only mower manufacturer who make an engine specifically for a mower. All other petrol mowers reuse little engines from motorbikes and scooters - but the Honda mower unit is designed and built from scratch for a mower. Japanese - gotta love em.

If anyone is ever contemplating a new petrol mower - BUY A HONDA IZZY! I now look forward to a good old mow and the wife knows now that she sits firmly behind Izzy in the pecking order. What used to take me a couple of hours of blood, sweat and tears is now a 45 minute job front and back and I'm almost sad when it's done (I'm referring here to the garden, not MrsDibnah).

I love it when you spend good money on something that's supposed to be the dog-nads, and it turns out to be even better than you thought
alfabeat and RobM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
We bought a new AEG rechargeable vacuum cleaner that works really well. It’s very light and manoeuvrable and modular too. You can take the main bit out and you’ve got a DustBuster.
My wife and I agree it’s a revelation!
FredDibnah likes this.
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Landon Tan
Garage
I bought my 145 12 years ago, ok so it's needed some welding and replacement parts but it still drives well and fast enough for me to get my licence taken away, the outer body panels don't have rust anywhere not a dot.
AO Platinum Member

County: Oxfordshire
Just over a year ago I bought myself a Gibson Les Paul Guitar.

It wasn't cheap, and I had heard or a few horror stories about the quality of their products but I really wanted one.

The quality is flawless and it plays beautifully.
FredDibnah, duemila and keithyboy like this.
AO Platinum Member

I also bought a chain whip and cassette tool. At the weekend I removed and cleaned the sprockets on all of our bikes and cleaned the chains which was quite satisfying.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredDibnah View Post
a 45 minute job front and back and I'm almost sad when it's done
I've been with h...

Quote:
(I'm referring here to the garden, not MrsDibnah).
Oh, never mind.
Keithy and FredDibnah like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Saab 900 Talladega 2.0T (big T for Saabisti). £361. 2.5 years. Not quite flawless reliability but easily a match for the 2007 car that cost many times more.
milowokie likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue2 View Post
I also bought a chain whip....which was quite satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
Saab 900 Talladega 2.0T (big T for Saabisti). £361. 2.5 years. Not quite flawless reliability but easily a match for the 2007 car that cost many times more.

Superb motor especially as a T. Even more as a V (that'd be a 9-3, but who can tell them apart?).
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

https://www.amazon.co.uk/VonShef-Fat...31530261&psc=1

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/...ping-corn-500g

Bouht mine some time ago and it's great, only problem is it makes you even more aware on how cinemas fleece you.....

...if wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets...
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

4 cans of Speckled Hen have worked quite well tonight.
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

159 2.4 Ti

2 years ago, I bought a "cheap" stethoscope for £40, from a manufacturer that I'd never heard of before.

I've compared it to some of the far more expensive Littmann's, that are £90 for the base model, going up to many hundreds of quids for their proper fully functional models, and can tell no discernible difference.

Plus, mine has free parts for life, whereas the Littmann's parts are very expensive to replace.

Boring, but I'm well chuffed with my choice.
FredDibnah likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Honda :tum:
RobM likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Two things.
A BMW Z3 for a miserly £1295. I fixed the airbag light at weekend. Still has a few small issues but like my Alfa Spider (when I first purchased that) it is incredible VFM. It will change over time as I get bored of it and leave it to die (as I did the Alfa). My intention unlike the Alfa is to keep it no longer than two years. Hopefully it will stay good in that short time.
It's brilliant with a great big power bulge on the enormously long bonnet (which it really does not need on mine ).

A G-Tech cordless vacuum. 10x what the Dyson was.

I'm not going anywhere, I'm just going.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcQV View Post
A G-Tech cordless vacuum. 10x what the Dyson was.
I'll drink to that but I've never used the car cleaning attachment thingy.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoman View Post
I'll drink to that but I've never used the car cleaning attachment thingy.
I err, well only bought the basic machine. No separate cleany handheld car thing. I'm a bit like His Dibs intimated "given my legendary meanness" in that matter and bought a cheap corded hand cleaning car device. That too is good but I do wrap myself in mains cable a bit
(Post Link) post #16 of 132 Old 25-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Gold Member

County: Surrey

Member car:

Volvo/Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
Honda :tum:
I wonder if your CRV and my Izzy share the same motor
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

+1 for the G-tech, the floor vac is great, I find the handheld one less so....
MalcQV likes this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Too lazy to wet shave, have always used electric razors. Noisy Brauns, crude Boots own- label, fragile Remingtons, Hitachi whose battery lasted less than one shave but took 6 hours to recharge. Now have a cheapo Philips 3000 and:
- It's quiet
- It's light
- Battery stays charged for a week, takes an hour to recharge
- It shaves me better than the others did

It pleases me every time I use it. (I do not have an exciting life).
symon likes this.
AO Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Giulia Speciale

Talking of shaving I used electric when younger but never felt "clean". Over the years I've used.....
  • Gilette and Wilkinson - far too expensive and not that good
  • Supermarket own brands - not that good and still expensive
  • Bearded Colonel - good but plasticky and fragile
  • Harry's Razors - quite good but plasticky and fragile

....which leads to Dorco which I use now. Highly recommended, solid with good blades, cheap and good customer service.
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I ****ing hate shaving but can't grow a proper beard. I hate electric ones, they are never close enough and I miss bits. I also hate wet shaving because all razors seem to fall into three categories cheap and crap, expensive and crap, or bright orange and crap. I recently ended a subscription because they changed on OK design to make it much more crap.

As a result of the excellent consumer advice provided by this thread, I'm going to buy a Honda Izzy to shave with.
AO Platinum Member

I am very pleased with the ONrunning shoes I bought a couple of months ago. Just got back from a nice long run with my wife, who’s working from home this morning, and got a PB. Spookily enough, I discovered the brand on an advert on AO. They’re brilliantly light yet shock absorbent and using the triathlon laces easy to slip on!
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

For shaving you want to get yourself a double edged safety razor and blades.

The razor can be bought for about £13 and will last forever. The blades - I buy 100 at a time for about a tenner. They will last me about 4 years. If I shaved every day, and replaced the blade every 2nd shave (which is a bit excessive), they'd still last me more than 6 months.

Much cheaper than cartridge razors, and the important thing is that instead of continuing using the blade when it's blunt because it costs a fortune, you happily throw it away after a few shaves because it cost pennies. So you're always shaving with a sharp blade, and it does a better job.

Here's what I bought:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While we're talking about things which work well, get yourselves an alum block too.
symon likes this.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Shaving, what a hateful thing it is. Like KB I can't or don't grow a proper beard (though honestly have not tried in years) but hate beards anyway. I imagine they get full of food and stuff...

Anyway I tried wet shaving in the early days but have a beauty spot (yeah beauty) that I regularly shaved off. Shaved off that often I don't have it now - true story.
Today I dry shave but it is a fancy Philips one that will also allow you to shave with a wet face. Never going to be as close as wet shaving but I really do cut my face to ribbons when I wet shave.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

Evod e-cig
Bought one for someone else who wanted one but didn't buy stuff online themselves,wife and I thought we ought to try ourselves to cut down on the fags.I quit my 30-40/day habit overnight - literally,wife took a couple of days longer.Coming up 5yrs fag free on 4th August
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

Office Chair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRow View Post
Evod e-cig
Bought one for someone else who wanted one but didn't buy stuff online themselves,wife and I thought we ought to try ourselves to cut down on the fags.I quit my 30-40/day habit overnight - literally,wife took a couple of days longer.Coming up 5yrs fag free on 4th August

My missus has done just that. Lost count of the years since her last cigarette but I think it was about December of 2011 or 12.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page