Working from Home ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

21Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Working from Home ?

We have been offered it as a trial..and to be honest I thought it would be fantastic...but the more I think about it....do I want to bring my work into my home ?

I live close enough to work....10 mins drive...can get a free parking space...heat and electricty free...don't work full time hours so have the joy of waving goodbye to my work colleagues at 12.30 everyday...and 11am on a Friday....i can't complain.

The negatives are working from home....more management surveillance?.....my home becoming a mini workplace?.....techwise,work only supplies the basics....we need 2 screens and they don't give us that....i don't know.

I will try it as a trial...but i must admit the main thing is my home is my castle...I don't want work invading it.

My brother is self employed so that's what he is used to....for me an employee.....i don't know.

What are all your thoughts ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

As with most things, you won't know until you try it.

You'll likely find you don't take adequate breaks - you will possibly end up working additional time for no reward - unless you're strictly regimented - and you'll very likely miss the social interaction.

That said it keeps your mileage and associated travel costs down, you can effectively have a more gradual start to your working day, and it's great if you're the sort of person on first name terms with your Amazon delivery driver.

That said, I couldn't do it, I'm too easily distracted - I'm typing this from my desk as we speak..

Posting from my phone - excuse spelling mistakes
(Post Link) post #3 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amfalconer View Post
As with most things, you won't know until you try it.

You'll likely find you don't take adequate breaks - you will possibly end up working additional time for no reward - unless you're strictly regimented - and you'll very likely miss the social interaction.

That said it keeps your mileage and associated travel costs down, you can effectively have a more gradual start to your working day, and it's great if you're the sort of person on first name terms with your Amazon delivery driver.

That said, I couldn't do it, I'm too easily distracted - I'm typing this from my desk as we speak..
I know it's strange.....but I enjoy coming home from work.....that wouldn't be the same anymore...work would still be with me.
(Post Link) post #4 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I'd say give it a go and see how you feel.

I'm notionally doing it one day a week. I only do it if there's only me in the house so it doesn't happen every week. For me commuting is upwards of an hour a day plus train fare, or a fiver to park. I usually leave for work at about 6.15 - 6.30am meaning I get up at 5.45-6am. Working at home gives me an extra hour in bed, I can make proper coffee and talk to the dog whilst I work.

The downsides for me aren't what you might expect. I don't get distracted, without the office background noise I get quite engrossed in things. I do the same hours as when at work and get a lot more done but I find myself feeling a bit knackered at the end of it. I have to remember to take breaks or my back seizes up and making do with one screen is a bit of a pain. I can mitigate against this to some extent by organising things in such a way that the stuff I have to do doesn't rely on multiple screens.

I don't worry about work entering my home. Once I've done my day's work I turn my laptop off and do normal domestic stuff. I always have my work phone on anyway (I have been known to take it on holiday in order to avoid returning to 150 pointless emails).
Nickhoughton567 likes this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
(Post Link) post #5 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
I'd say give it a go and see how you feel.

I'm notionally doing it one day a week. I only do it if there's only me in the house so it doesn't happen every week. For me commuting is upwards of an hour a day plus train fare, or a fiver to park. I usually leave for work at about 6.15 - 6.30am meaning I get up at 5.45-6am. Working at home gives me an extra hour in bed, I can make proper coffee and talk to the dog whilst I work.

The downsides for me aren't what you might expect. I don't get distracted, without the office background noise I get quite engrossed in things. I do the same hours as when at work and get a lot more done but I find myself feeling a bit knackered at the end of it. I have to remember to take breaks or my back seizes up and making do with one screen is a bit of a pain. I can mitigate against this to some extent by organising things in such a way that the stuff I have to do doesn't rely on multiple screens.

I don't worry about work entering my home. Once I've done my day's work I turn my laptop off and do normal domestic stuff. I always have my work phone on anyway (I have been known to take it on holiday in order to avoid returning to 150 pointless emails).
Work phone.....nooooooo....perhaps that's cos you earn much more than me.....there is work and there is home....for me never the twain shall meet.
(Post Link) post #6 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
I know it's strange.....but I enjoy coming home from work.....that wouldn't be the same anymore...work would still be with me.
I agree completely, Friday 6pm especially - it's great to know that you can finally switch off for the day.

Despite that, I'm the (very sad) type to think about work outside of hours, my work effectively never leaves me - I will work on a problem and resolutions in my head without thinking about it - it'd be all too tempting to fire up the laptop and make the changes if I had access to my work at home.

I have a phone on which I can access my work emails, but these are set to download during weekdays - never weekends!
(Post Link) post #7 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
I used to work from home, although a lot of my time was spent travelling throughout the UK and to our offices. It was OK, but after a while I missed the personal interaction with other people. I also felt I missed out on what was happening within the Company.

Ironically after 10 years of having an office desk and spending time with my Colleagues I would go back to working from home!!
Toronto Spider likes this.
(Post Link) post #8 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Mrs Pat has stopped working and is therefore at home all day.

Office for me
MalcQV likes this.
(Post Link) post #9 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post

Office for me
Lol
AO Platinum Member

County: Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post

Office for me
Iíve stopped working and my wife can work from home instead of spending two hours a day commuting and then working with idiots in the office. If her work phone goes then the radio volume goes down and she takes calls from idiots. She finds she can concentrate better at home. Thatís as long as I donít distract her and she forgets to go to an Executive meeting, which did happen a couple of months ago.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
The main benefit of working at home is the lack of commute in my opinion. Such a waste of time.

Seeing as yours is only 10 minutes and your hours, I'd suggest that you stay in the office. I really can't see you getting any tangible benefit from it.

You will find that you work more hours if it is there at home with you.
cue2 and Nickhoughton567 like this.
AO Gold Member

County: Lancashire
I've done it for over 20 years now...but I do run my own business. More 'home-based' than 'work-from-home' - I do have clients to meet every week. I'm living the dream as far as I'm concerned!
Not sure how I'd feel about doing it being employed mind.
The key between work and life balance for me is to keep ALL business-related stuff in the one room, and so be able to close the door on it and 'leave the office'.
jparkin486 likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
The key between work and life balance for me is to keep ALL business-related stuff in the one room, and so be able to close the door on it and 'leave the office'.
Couldn't agree more. I had an office in my loft, so could just climb down and shut the hatch.

Even now I feel a rush at 17:00 on a Friday as I turn off my laptop and my work phone. Took a while for me not to keep checking for e-mails during the weekend. But now the laptop and phone is packed away so I can't see it!!

Best thing I did a few years ago was to go back to having my own mobile phone, not share my work one for personal calls. I always felt "on call" and people knew I had my work phone, even on holiday so would ring me!

Julian
lussoman likes this.
(Post Link) post #14 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Great advice chaps.....the main thing i want is not bringing my work into my home.

I think I might just stay office based.....the perverse pleasure I get leaving the office early everyday is a joy....I might have to travel into work Mon to Fri but it may just be worth it.

Home is home.....work is work.
jparkin486 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
As companies downsize to reduce their costs and to do their bit for the environment by encouraging folks to - where possible - work from home rather than commute, it’ll probably usurp the ‘workplace’ as the place of work.

Amid that model, you also have flexible working hours for that work/life balance and increasing acceptance of the mantra ‘it doesn’t matter where or when you work, as long as the work gets done.’ I’ve seen mixed responses to this, and it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out if it becomes the norm.

A driver is always faithful to a car that's always faithful to its driver.

Sometimes in the darkest hour, love comes shining through.
Then it doesn't seem so far from me to you.
(Post Link) post #16 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
As companies downsize to reduce their costs and to do their bit for the environment by encouraging folks to - where possible - work from home rather than commute, itíll probably usurp the Ďworkplaceí as the place of work.

Amid that model, you also have flexible working hours for that work/life balance and increasing acceptance of the mantra Ďit doesnít matter where or when you work, as long as the work gets done.í Iíve seen mixed responses to this, and itíll be interesting to see how it pans out if it becomes the norm.
Yep....it's companies ticking their boxes and getting work on the cheap.

As an Administrative Officer employee of the HMRC earning a whopping £8.77 per hour after 28 years service...i am not gonna get too excited.
Nickhoughton567 likes this.
AO Platinum Member

sorry Ronan, I wasn’t being critical of the decentralisation model. I’m sure it has its merits. I’m just interested to observe the dynamics of en mass remote/flexible/wherever/whenever working. 🙂
(Post Link) post #18 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
sorry Ronan, I wasn’t being critical of the decentralisation model. I’m sure it has its merits. I’m just interested to observe the dynamics of en mass remote/flexible/wherever/whenever working. 🙂
And I wasn't having a go at you,Scudetto....used to love working for the old Inland Revenue....the "brilliant" HMRC are now just a rotten organisation... sadly I am so cynical about them that I don't believe anything they come out with now.
AO Platinum Member

Fair play, fella - I know you weren’t having a pop, and absolutely no offence taken. 🙂

I am sorry to hear though that your employer’s behaviour has left you dissolutioned, though. Fingers crossed things perk up for you 🙂
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
And I wasn't having a go at you,Scudetto....used to love working for the old Inland Revenue....the "brilliant" HMRC are now just a rotten organisation... sadly I am so cynical about them that I don't believe anything they come out with now.
Shame for an employee to think that about them. They've got a vitally important job to do.
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

I had the choice of both and did a bit of each.

Pros of working from home:
No long commute (not really relevant in your case)
Able to take parcels from postman instead of trekking off to collect them.
Fewer distractions as colleagues didn't stop off for chat on the way past.

Cons:
Lack of personal interaction as colleagues didn't stop off for chat on the way past.
People expect you to be permanently on call as you're always at your workplace.
Possibility of turning feral, not shaving, farting and burping loudly as people won't notice

I was lucky as I could pick and choose to some extent and would work from home if I really needed to work with no distractions. Most times I tolerated the 1 hour plus each way commute because we were a close knit team and social interaction was worth it.
(Post Link) post #22 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud237 View Post
Quote:
Shame for an employee to think that about them. They've got a vitally important job to do.
I could open a can of worms here...but I won't... don't be surprised if there is a strike very soon
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
get used to sitting working for 5-6hrs without looking up....
(Post Link) post #24 of 66 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
get used to sitting working for 5-6hrs without looking up....
Sounds appealing doesn't it.....
AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
I do it regularly but I need to keep up with appointments for my daughter. It's also useful when the snow comes (late 2017 early 2018 was a godsend)

It's also useful when you are ill - the other year I had a cast iron bench end fall onto my foot and I broke a metatarsal bone. I had a week working from home instead of having to suffer a painful half hour stop start journey to and from the office.

Use it like any other tool to it's advantage.
Elvis Presley likes this.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page