Working from Home ? - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

27Likes

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I’m not suggesting there are any links here - or maybe it’s meant to be a response to the problem - but over how many quarters have we heard this?

https://www.theguardian.com/business...it-uncertainty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Lancashire
Working from Home ?

I WFH an average of two days a month. Iím an IT manager in a housing association.

When I worked from home frequently as Mrs Nick had many hospital appointments it was useful as the hospital and work are at opposing ends of our county.

Benefits are as stated - no commute, flexible hours, better concentration. No pressure to stay late.

Cons are - no interaction with colleagues gives me nervous energy after a few days, harder to get info from colleagues, one screen an issue, easy to run up extra hours, you have to pay for light and HVAC. You need a separate room to maintain work life balance.

From a business perspective there is a, ďOh, working from home are you?Ē culture where people assume youíre not really working.

Being made to work from home would be substantive change to your employment contract and might need a consultation exercise from your employer.

HMRC could be an interesting job but being paid peanuts for effectively making money for UK PLC doesnít sound good.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
I’m still curious to understand whether there is a link between the ongoing sink in Uk productivity and the fact folks are booking holidays online/looking at furniture/speccing out a new Hyundai, when they should be working.

Has something become too lax?
(Post Link) post #29 of 67 Old 13-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudetto View Post
I’m still curious to understand whether there is a link between the ongoing sink in Uk productivity and the fact folks are booking holidays online/looking at furniture/speccing out a new Hyundai, when they should be working.

Has something become too lax?
Or in our place where
they have constructed non jobs for a hell of a lot of people....a whole cottage industry....while the core job of tax collection seems to be way down the pecking order.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

As has emerged from the responses, it's very personal. Some people will thrive working from home others won't. It wouldn't have suited me. Too many home distractions. Bringing work home is different; but spending all day at home just didn't feel right.

My next door neighbour was made to work from home to save office carpet costs. He got wound up about the conflict involved in working for a big firm, and ended up getting the willies every time he walked past the door of his home office.

Equally, an ex colleague loved it - but partly, I suspect, because no-one knew if he was working or not.
AO Gold Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
Or in our place where
they have constructed non jobs for a hell of a lot of people....a whole cottage industry....while the core job of tax collection seems to be way down the pecking order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterzo View Post
As has emerged from the responses, it's very personal. Some people will thrive working from home others won't. It wouldn't have suited me. Too many home distractions. Bringing work home is different; but spending all day at home just didn't feel right.

My next door neighbour was made to work from home to save office carpet costs. He got wound up about the conflict involved in working for a big firm, and ended up getting the willies every time he walked past the door of his home office.

Equally, an ex colleague loved it - but partly, I suspect, because no-one knew if he was working or not.
I wonder how many "jobs" there are in the UK where the absence of "working" would be undetectable?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Is afternoon delight a benefit or distraction?
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Depend entirely on the circumstances and role. I try and work from home 1 day a week if I can, itís not a big deal if I canít, but avoiding 120 miles of commute has its advantages in terms of getting up later. So I have 4 days in an office environment (either client or our own) and 1 day at home (probably).

Home stuff is generally calls with international teams, so it doesnít matter where I am, and I schedule them all for Friday. If I need to really focus on something without distraction (reviewing stuff, writing stuff) then Iíll often block out a day at home to do it. Before AWS was a thing, I often took analytic stuff home - trying to find issues in logs and such like. People were mucking around with Excel and doing it in little chunks, I look it home, stuffed it into a proper database and got the answers. Thereís less need to do that these days.

Working from home permanently would be a big problem for me. Iím not worried at all about ďbringing the office homeĒ - i like the flexibility of being able to schedule work when I want it. E.g. on a Friday afternoon, I might do car stuff, and then work late on something because Mrs rxe is out. Itís the lack of contact - ďout of sight, out of mindĒ. Most of the more interesting things Iíve done in the last decade have been as a result of random conversations in the office. Thereís a huge advantage in actively meeting people when youíre in the office, I make a point of walking all the floors when I am in, catching up with everyone. Iím 99% on client site at the moment and feeling the disconnect....
AO Member

County: South Lanarkshire
I agree with what most people have said, it's entirely dependent on your circumstances, but for me it's great being able to work from home.

I'm a self-employed IT consultant, so if I don't work I don't get paid. Being able to work from home in inclement weather is very useful for a start. In my current contract I'm spending around 90 minutes each way on the 40 mile commute to Edinburgh, so being able to work from home a couple of days a week really helps as 3 hours of driving a day is pretty tiring. Also, like lots of places with large IT projects on, there are more contractors than desks so working from home is encouraged. My cousin's husband works in financial services and hot desking and working from home is largely encouraged there for the same reason.

I find it easier to work from home when I don't want to be disturbed (E.g. writing long reports or testing scripts) but being in the office and having other people to bounce ideas off helps sometimes too. It's definitely better for me though to have a home office, so I am isolated from distractions and can get in to "work mode" even if I'm wearing casual clothes. I wouldn't want to do it on a permanent basis, but it's very useful to be able to do it when I need or want to, such as the other week when the G was in for it's MOT.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis Presley View Post
get used to sitting working for 5-6hrs without looking up....
Absolutely. Concentration levels and subsequent productivity levels know no bounds.
I feel as though I work at 2 to 3 times the intensity I did when compared to being employed at someone's office.
Great for those of us with businesses; less of a bonus for those in the public sector I'd have thought...
(Post Link) post #36 of 67 Old 14-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lussoman View Post
Absolutely. Concentration levels and subsequent productivity levels know no bounds.
I feel as though I work at 2 to 3 times the intensity I did when compared to being employed at someone's office.
Great for those of us with businesses; less of a bonus for those in the public sector I'd have thought...
I hope I am just being a bit paranoid but please tell me that last sentence wasn't a dig at the public sector ??
AO Gold Member

I'm saying that surely someone working for the Government won't have any intention of working like a madman/woman when working on their own at home? Provided you reach whatever target or standard that's expected of you, presumably that's what you work to?
(Post Link) post #38 of 67 Old 14-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
I'm saying that surely someone working for the Government won't have any intention of working like a madman/woman when working on their own at home? Provided you reach whatever target or standard that's expected of you, presumably that's what you work to?
No problem.....all employees then...public and private.
AO Gold Member

That would depend on the precise nature of chosen career, potential for bonuses, promotion etc.
Work like a nutter and get rewarded accordingly, you'd expect.
But with the supposed state the country's in, I'm not sure what the scope is for lucrative deals being done with public sector employees.
(Post Link) post #40 of 67 Old 14-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
That would depend on the precise nature of chosen career, potential for bonuses, promotion etc.
But with the supposed state the country's in, I'm not sure what the scope is for lucrative deals being done with public sector employees.
My lucrative deal will be in a few years time....when the national minimum wage overtakes our own HMRC wages !!!

http://www.instituteforgovernment.or...il-service-pay
lussoman likes this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:

none

but the workloads can be punishing, the management amateurish, and the expectations ridiculous
(Post Link) post #42 of 67 Old 14-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Quote:

none

but the workloads ARE punishing, the management amateurish, and the expectations ridiculous
Fixed that for you.
steveisfrowning likes this.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Is afternoon delight a benefit or distraction?
Speaking as someone who works from home alongside his wife, it's never come up (oo-er)
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

I don't need to be in the office to do my job. I just need to be somewhere that has a connection to the internet, so working from home is quite a good option. However I find that if I work from home, I miss the interaction with people - I have internal and external conference calls (my boss works from home somewhere in America) but that is not the same as having a chat with colleagues in the kitchen at work, which is why I normally undertake a ~3 hour daily commute to the office 4 days a week.

The 5th day (always a Friday), I work from home but I have to be disciplined in avoiding temptation i.e going for lunch with someone, "just checking the sports score" etc. Having said that, if it's a sunny day and work's not too busy, it makes it much easier to just take a half day holiday....
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Speaking as someone who works from home alongside his wife, it's never come up (oo-er)
You can get tablets for that.
AO Member

County: -
Garage

Member car:

GT 1.9 Blackline

My boyfriend actually works from home. He's a programmer, so he can do it.

Of course you stay so much time in your house and it can be stressful. He walks for 1 hour before and after work to have a mental break from his PC and his work/house. Not easy but it surely has much convenience (his office is 300 km away from our house, it's not a good idea to travel 6h a day ).
(Post Link) post #47 of 67 Old 15-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabryina View Post
My boyfriend actually works from home. He's a programmer, so he can do it.

Of course you stay so much time in your house and it can be stressful. He walks for 1 hour before and after work to have a mental break from his PC and his work/house. Not easy but it surely has much convenience (his office is 300 km away from our house, it's not a good idea to travel 6h a day ).
That's why I am coming round to the way of thinking of just working from the office...I really can't see any benefit of home working :

10 minute commute..free parking..free heating/electricity..free equipment..human interaction.....and a break from being stuck in the house.
I have to admit to getting a perverse pleasure of leaving the office early each day and returning to a HMRC free home....especially on a Friday....where Guinness awaits.
I may be giving home working a miss.
jparkin486 likes this.
AO Member

County: Aveiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan View Post
We have been offered it as a trial..and to be honest I thought it would be fantastic...but the more I think about it....do I want to bring my work into my home ?

I live close enough to work....10 mins drive...can get a free parking space...heat and electricty free...don't work full time hours so have the joy of waving goodbye to my work colleagues at 12.30 everyday...and 11am on a Friday....i can't complain.

The negatives are working from home....more management surveillance?.....my home becoming a mini workplace?.....techwise,work only supplies the basics....we need 2 screens and they don't give us that....i don't know.

I will try it as a trial...but i must admit the main thing is my home is my castle...I don't want work invading it.

My brother is self employed so that's what he is used to....for me an employee.....i don't know.

What are all your thoughts ???
I do it for about 5 years now. I will start working again outside (for 3h a day) while keeping my regular job, just to have something to put me out of home (while earning an extra considering that the work i do on home is about 3-4h a day). Working at home has pros and cons, to me the cons is, you need to be much more disciplined because if you could make your routines you have also greater tendency to relax about schedule. Plus the social contact when you work at home is very very affected.

And there is more, you spend less in transportation, but you also spend less time enjoying your machine....
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Yesterday I mentioned that you have to be disciplined whilst working from home, today after a week off, I returned to work and ended up vacuuming two rooms on the ground floor, the stairs and my bedroom...
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
#Focus

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page