How I got my health back - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

6Likes
  • 5 Post By mitojohnners
  • 1 Post By mitojohnners

(Post Link) post #1 of 10 Old 05-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: The Kent/Sussex \hinterland
Garage

Member car:

Mito

How I got my health back

I am not to sure if I should post this as to a certain extent it's boasting, but here we go.
Last year I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep aponea, due to this I had put on a lot of weight my blood pressure was ridiculously high and a blood test showed me to be pre diabetic.
I was lucky to have a great GP and be sent to the East Grinstead sleep disorder clinic who gave me a CPAP machine straight away ( christened Biggles due to the face mask although SWMBO takes a dim view of me putting on the mask plugging into the machine and saying" Luke I am your father) again I was lucky as the benefits were obvious from the first night so sticking to it wasn't a big deal, recently I had to do two nights without for oximeter checks and I felt uncomfortable not wearing it.
With the sleep under control it was time to address the bp, blood sugar and weight, my GP suggested I look at Low Carb High Fat way of eating (similar to Atkins) I took to this and with the help of the Internet found what I could eat and what I should.
To cut a long story short a year on I have lost over eight stone, my BP is still slightly high but acceptable (due to my age) my blood glucose has plummeted from pre diabetic to the low end of the normal, and despite the fat my cholesterol is so low I was taken of statins.
Sadly the whole idea of LCHF is attacked by the media and health professionals although it works for a lot of people , the labour MP Tom Watson being an example.
I am sorry but I am beginning to ramble but I am not sure what point I am trying to make but ultimately you are the master of your own destiny and you can make dramatic changes.

If you can't fix it with a hammer then it's electrical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 10 Old 05-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Mito

Oh and I gave up smoking as well in January!
alfabeat likes this.
AO Platinum Member

County: West Yorkshire
Garage

Member car:

Lexus

8 stone

Well done, you must obviously feel the benefits. I lost just over a stone after Christmas and certainly feel the benefit of that, but 8 stone, wow.

Excellent.
(Post Link) post #4 of 10 Old 05-04-19 Thread Starter
AO Member

Garage

Member car:

Mito

Sleep aponea is nasty as it makes you put on weight and is caused by by being over weight. I have also lost 36 cm of my medical waist ,in real terms my trousers have gone done eight inches!!!
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Good show.
Global Mod Team

County: British Columbia
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitojohnners View Post
Sleep aponea is nasty as it makes you put on weight and is caused by by being over weight. I have also lost 36 cm of my medical waist ,in real terms my trousers have gone done eight inches!!!
Not always true, my sister in law is a very fit, 110lb (5'6")person who has sleep apnea. She rides/trains race horses.
My hubby has sleep apnea and he's a fit 250lbs 6'2"(same weight for over 20 years). He fits the norm on sleep apnea for sure. I get to sleep as long as he has his cpap machine.

You've done very well losing all that weight, good on you!
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Excellent news...well done.

Last edited by ronan; 06-04-19 at 10:15.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Wow, really well done. Especially the “Luke, I am your father” bit
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

I think we can permit boasting about this.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitojohnners View Post
Sadly the whole idea of LCHF is attacked by the media and health professionals although it works for a lot of people , the labour MP Tom Watson being an example.
I think there is still so much we don't really understand when it comes to diet, two people can have the same diet and can react very differently to it. The scientific community are clocking on to the fact that there is a huge unknown in how your gut bacteria reacts to certain foods. I kid you not there are people out there who have had no success with dieting and then have had 'gut flora transplants' (I won't go into details of the process ) and it has turned them around. It is probably the case that the success or failure of any given diet on a specific person could be worked out in advance by lots of testing, but that to do so is expensive and not in the interests of the dieting industry, which make an absolute killing every year despite most of their customers being largely unsuccessful.

I get what you mean about LCHF diets, they were popular for a while but are now getting pummeled by the media. But a similar Atkins-type diet worked for me many years ago when I lost about 3 stone doing it. But the media are quick to jump on any bandwagon and equally quick to disparage something they probably don't understand.

Anyway, congrats to you for getting yourself sorted out. If you're a goals-oriented person then keeping it off again afterwards can sometimes be harder than losing it, so don't lose focus or get complacent, which is what I tend to do.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page