How long .... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

3Likes
  • 2 Post By Sterzo
  • 1 Post By steveisfrowning

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 01-04-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Cool How long ....

do you plan ahead for your next Alfa car purchase?

I'm 14 months away from the end of my current finance deal yet I already know and have done for quite sometime which car is hopefully going to be my next

I've watched countless youtube reviews and visited the configorater many times.

Am I on my own or is this a common activity amongst the masses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
My lease on the Giulietta still has over 2 years to go, but I know what I want to replace it!

Roll on the Tonale (or stelvio). Maybe a Giulia. Or a 3rd Giulietta if they are still around. Ahhhhhhhh I'll keep changing my mind!!
(Post Link) post #3 of 18 Old 01-04-19 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 650
County: Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparkin486 View Post
My lease on the Giulietta still has over 2 years to go, but I know what I want to replace it!

Roll on the Tonale (or stelvio). Maybe a Giulia. Or a 3rd Giulietta if they are still around. Ahhhhhhhh I'll keep changing my mind!!

... so at least you know it'll be an Alfa
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Decided on a Giulietta 1.4MA in 2010, bought one on March 1st 2019.
cue2 and Nickhoughton567 like this.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Plan is a strong word. But I had an idea the C63 would be my next car for at least 2 years before I bought it. And the GTA was a dream car for 4 or 5 years. Although I had expected to have to get something else between it and the previous car, until I realised that I could afford one. Actually, that's true of the C63 too.

So, in summary, I generally have a definite desire for a car with absolutely no plan to buy one because it's far too much money, until my willpower suddenly snaps and I go out and buy one.

It's even worse when you consider the C63 really. I sold the GTA ahead of time, with the intention that I could absolutely take my time about the purchase to get the perfect car. We could cope with only 1 car for a while.
And then I bought the second C63 I looked at, the very next weekend, because I'm an idiot. And in some ways I bought badly. It's missing a couple of highly sought after options. But on the other hand, it's in very good nick, low mileage, and hasn't missed a beat at all in the 21 months I've owned it.

Seen an offensive/spam post? Report it! Click the or button next to the post.
AO Rules - AO Gallery - AO Classified adverts - AO Club - AO Traders

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

"You know, sometimes the world seems like a pretty mean place."
"That's why animals are so soft and huggy."
- Calvin and Hobbes

To err is human, to moderate ursine.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
My next Alfa might be a 147 GTA, a spider ph3 3.2 or a Joolie-thingy.

Or a Stevio if I replace Mrs Pat's ******** first.

I'm not looking at a conflagilator.
AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire - Darn Sarf!
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by braddersR View Post
... so at least you know it'll be an Alfa
It'd be wrong not to be!
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

It's roughly 8 years since I got rid of my last one so I like to think I'm not rushing into anything.

I plan to replace one or other of the Saab or the CRV later in the year because we don't need two gas guzzling tanks. A GT is on my list but a petrol one would probably still guzzle fuel.
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Errrrr....

Cue Keithy...
AO Platinum Member

County: Good old Sussex by the sea

Member car:

The train :(

Errrrr....

Cue Keithy...
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
It's roughly 8 years since I got rid of my last one so I like to think I'm not rushing into anything.

I plan to replace one or other of the Saab or the CRV later in the year because we don't need two gas guzzling tanks. A GT is on my list but a petrol one would probably still guzzle fuel.

And I'd trust you to find a good one, but I'd be wary because there are some proper sheds out there. In my mind, without having done a lot of research, I'm virtually consigning GT's to the same parts bin as the 147 and 156.

I've got no plan beyond the next MOT (March 2020) or the next potential big bill. Once the university years are over I can release the strings a little - but that'll be on a collision course with potential retirement.

So, maybe in 2 yrs time I'll spend part of a year planning for the next car. I'd consider an Alfa if it met all of my practical considerations (but not sure the 159 does, and I'm not convinced about the Stelvio or Goolia). I've never had a lease arrangement, and not sure I want one.

I quite like feeling I'm tricking the system by buying scruffy, unfashionable and unstylish (but reliable) sheds for a few buttons.
alfabeat likes this.
AO Member

County: Cornwall

Member car:

Alfa GT 3.2

Tend not to change cars that often because the whole process of buying & particularly selling them is such a pain in the a**e.

Dealers give you nothing for them & the general car buying public automatically assume that you're some sort of crook who's selling only to avoid some sort of impending doom or money pit expenditure.

I'd need to sell the GT before I could plan to buy anything else but I can't be bothered to put the GT up for sale because of the hassle of trying to sell it. And so the cycle goes on...

Hence cars stay in our household for many years at a time.
AO Silver Member

County: Herefordshire
I'll wait until one of the current cars dies. So that could be 2 weeks or another 10 years. They do exactly what I need them more, I like them, so no need or even desire to change. So it will be a forced change - and hopefully that won't be for a VERY long time!
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

Office Chair.

Only plan in my current line-up in the daily. Even that is sketchy. 2˝ to 3˝ years. I need to be careful though as I do not want to end up with a speed restricted car.

I don't plan on it being an Alfa
I do have a Z3 which at some point I will swap for either an SLK or 939 Spider, maybe. TBH I like the Z3 but she doesn't hence why it might change.
AO Silver Member

County: Down

Member car:

156 1.8 Turismo

Don't.....just get the next car available....then when an Alfa i like comes along i buy it and sell the inferior one I bought
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
More to the point, whatcha getting Bradders?
AO Silver Member

County: Merseyside
I have a weakness to changing my cars frequently, probably due to doing around 25K per year I just get bored with looking at the same interior all the time. Just sold my 2016 320 Msport last month, collecting a new Giulia in May, its on a 4 year lease but i’ll be surprised if I keep it that long.

I am a sucker for the Auto Trader app and watching hours of videos on You Tube.

That said, longest car I owned was my 147, 4 years from pretty much brand new, only thing to fail was the rear windscreen wiper motor. Shortest was a Vauxhall Vectra, I really did buy the wrong car, p/x’d it at Mango’s for a 159 Lusso.

Hey, you only live once, if you want a car and you can afford to swap, then do it.
AO Silver Member

County: Powys

Member car:

P1Spider P3 GTV

I've been planning on changing my spider (for a newer,smarter,less abused example) from about 6mts after i got it - c6yrs ago Will run it til it dies now,even if i do manage to buy a replacement

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page