Keith's question of the day - Page 90 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Way Off Topic Topics in here are quite off topic but do stay within the rules...

469Likes

(Post Link) post #2226 of 2248 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

County: Phnom Penh

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

And we're back.

Easy one to start - insurance renewal time. Has it gone up by 20% or down by 20%?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

159ti 2.4JTDm

I'm going to say down... mine wen't down by 15% anyway
AO Member

County: North Yorkshire

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4MA

If it's anything like mine for the past few years it starts by going up by over 50% then drops back to a couple of quid more than last years after a bit of haggling.
AO Platinum Member

County: Shropshire
Is this a like-for-like?

The KB fleet is hard to size and owners/drivers difficult to determine.
AO Member

County: -
For a change, mine was practically the same(+10). I was quite taken aback tbh!!
(Post Link) post #2231 of 2248 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithy View Post
Is this a like-for-like?

The KB fleet is hard to size and owners/drivers difficult to determine.
It is like-for-like and just for the Saab. I tried to get a multi-car quote for the Saab and the Fiesta but it would apparently cost more than my mortgage.

To answer the question, it's gone up 20%.
AO Platinum Member

County: Cheshire

Member car:

Jaguar XJR V8

Get off to Karl's just to spite 'em
(Post Link) post #2233 of 2248 Old 3 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by milowokie View Post
Get off to Karl's just to spite 'em
Oddly enough I have a similar quote which facilitates exactly that.
(Post Link) post #2234 of 2248 Old 2 Weeks Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

A moral dilemma for you. If you return to your car on a car park and some clueless ****wit has parked too close to you, how careful are you about opening your door?
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
My initial thought would be to wonder whether bad parking to their other side caused them to park like that. Some times folks are ‘forced’ to park badly because some other plum has and there’s a sort of knock on effect.

It doesn’t enrage me too much because I can squeeze into tight spaces ok, but if my car is dirty or theirs is and you get covered in cra5 then that’s not so good.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithyboy View Post
A moral dilemma for you. If you return to your car on a car park and some clueless ****wit has parked too close to you, how careful are you about opening your door?
Very. Have been known to climb in from the other side, tangling long gangly legs and monstrous feet in the steering wheel. Just as I'd prefer to be remembered as someone who was conned, rather than as someone who conned others, so I wouldn't want to be the one who damaged someone's car. Even if they are incompetent or inconsiderate. Or both.
AO Gold Member

County: Cork

Member car:

Alfa GT JTD 2004

Once had to climb in through the boot in a Kendal car park.
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

Quote:
Once, luckily when we were in Mrs Bazza's car, I had to lower the roof and climb in from above. It wasn't even possible to get the door open.
AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey
Bazza and Paddy -

I told you before! Don’t park your car in the bath! 🙂
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 59
Garage
It would depend on what I'm driving, and also what they are driving. And my prevailing mood.

If I am in a works hire car, I would be careful.

If I was having a bad day, and I was in a scruffy old 'onda, and the car was an Audi A7 abandoned in a careless and angular fashion, when there were plenty of spare spaces elsewhere to park your behemoth, and if it was really,particularly difficult to me......then I might just, accidentally, put my ****ing shoulder into it.

Similar thread...Sunday afternoon at the tip. I pull into a space, ready to unload an unfeasible amount of garden waste. Bloke in Peugeot 5008 pulls in close to my rear bumper. I politely explain that the 'onda has a full on side mounted opening back door. 5008-man looks at me impassively and, with clear reluctance, backs up. He could have backed up a good 4 yards further if needed.

He backs up to the extent that I can open the back door sufficiently to gain access, though not fully. Once I have extracted a bag of garden waste, I need to close the boot, so I can progress towards the skips.

I do this once.

The 2nd bag through to the 6th bag are extracted, then I swing them in an arc high above the bonnet of his 5008, and then I shimmy between my boot door and his bumper.

He glares at me when he notices (3rd bag in) and sits arms folded - having completed his skip dump.

One of my bags deposits a thin trickle of plant juice on his bonnet and he gets out to tell me off. I suggest Turtle Wax might shift it.
73GTVJim, MalcQV and Harvo like this.
AO Platinum Member

County: Greater Manchester
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveisfrowning View Post
One of my bags deposits a thin trickle of plant juice on his bonnet and he gets out to tell me off. I suggest Turtle Wax might shift it.
You might also have suggested a more considerate extra two yards of reversing would have totally avoided it.
steveisfrowning likes this.
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

Quote:
In these instances careful examination of my car is conducted. If there has been no damage to mine in the form of dents or scrapes then I will follow the code of no retaliation. However if damage has been observed and I can see paint transfer to put it out of question then it's game on.
I came back to my 33 once to find Mondeo man had put a 10p sized dent in my door. Nice red paint transfer too. He left the pub that night with a key mark resembling a go faster stripe.
Another recently was a lady driver in a Clio. I was sat in the car when she opened the door onto mine with gay abandon. There was no recognition of the fact even after I had thanked her through the window. I can say I was totally careless getting my child out of the rear door. Oops. Sorry!
73GTVJim and Keithy like this.

Sent from my armchair using Whogivesa****
(Post Link) post #2243 of 2248 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
And we're back.

Easy one to start - insurance renewal time. Has it gone up by 20% or down by 20%?
Follow up question, what happened when I rang them up?
Global Mod Team

Member car:

AMG C63 estate

They agreed to change the price, but it's still more expensive - just by an amount which means it's not worth the hassle of moving.
73GTVJim and steveisfrowning like this.
(Post Link) post #2245 of 2248 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
They agreed to change the price, but it's still more expensive - just by an amount which means it's not worth the hassle of moving.
You'd think wouldn't you?

2 years ago I left esure because when I rang up to ***** about the renewal price they were quite dismissive. Words to the effect of everyone is cheap for the first year, the renewal will be expensive. He was right, it was. So I changed again last year.

This year he went through the spiel about rising costs and all that guff. He than asked what my cheapest quote was. I couldn't remember so I lied and said it was roughly the same as last year's price. After some furious key tapping, that's what the price came out as, to within a few pence.

They really do just make it up as they go.
bazza and MalcQV like this.

Auto Express - six issues for a quid. Offer must end soon (and then immediately start up again).

Free poor quality torch/T-cut/I luv my VW Polo sew-on badge
AO Silver Member

County: Devon

Member car:

Laguna, Elgrand

I've been with Adrian Flux since owning the Elgrand. First years insurance was a competitive 220. Following year this had gone up 20 quid. Paid up because I couldn't be bothered to trawl comparison sites to save the money. This year's quote of 315 needed attention and a look online saw Sterling insurance coming back with 219 with a like for like policy. Phoned AF to cancel and they asked where we were going to which they replied that Sterling were one of their companies they broker for. Lo and behold after some tapping at an imaginary computer keyboard they announced they could do us the policy for 219......ffs.

Will the insurance debacle ever end?
(Post Link) post #2247 of 2248 Old 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member

Member car:

CRV/Jaaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvo View Post
I've been with Adrian Flux since owning the Elgrand. First years insurance was a competitive 220. Following year this had gone up 20 quid. Paid up because I couldn't be bothered to trawl comparison sites to save the money. This year's quote of 315 needed attention and a look online saw Sterling insurance coming back with 219 with a like for like policy. Phoned AF to cancel and they asked where we were going to which they replied that Sterling were one of their companies they broker for. Lo and behold after some tapping at an imaginary computer keyboard they announced they could do us the policy for 219......ffs.

Will the insurance debacle ever end?
It will only ever end when absolutely everyone shops around every time they get their renewal. At the moment they tuck you up with a silly price. Best case, you just pay it. Worst case, they either drop the price or you **** off to another insurer. If you do **** off to esure, someone else will **** off back to Hastings Direct to replace you. It's the circle of life.
Harvo and Nickhoughton567 like this.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Giulietta 150MA

Quote:
It will only ever end when absolutely everyone shops around every time they get their renewal.
Which has never been easier.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Misc Lounges > Community Discussions > Way Off Topic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page