Help! My 2007 Alfa GT won't start :-( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

(Post Link) post #1 of 18 Old 20-02-13 Thread Starter

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Cry Like A Baby Help! My 2007 Alfa GT won't start :-(

Hello people!

I've found this forum while searching for Alfa car repair shops in Abu Dhabi on Google.
This morning my Alfa GT didn't start: when I turn the key the engine stays still and i can only hear clicking sounds synchronized with the dashboard lights flashing: my untrained opinion is that the started motor is shorted and the clicking sound is some type of safety electical relay that's being triggered to avoid electrical current damage.

I've found this post

https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/unite...n-the-uae.html

with a list of recommended service stations but it's from 2011 and I was wondering if someone has other names to suggest... they have to be in AD since the car won't move and I fear that unless this has been caused by tonight condensation, I'll need shop work and spare parts... :-(

Roberto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Dubayy

Member car:

Alfa Romeo 155

Dashboard lights flashing? Just becoming dim or intermittent goes black completely. Did you check your battery?
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

which light flashing?
selespeed?
AO Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Make sure the battery terminals have a clean connection and are done up TIGHT.

If there is a blue build up around the terminals

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Pour clean boiling water to remove the build up.
3. Reconnect the terminals (make sure they are tight)
4. Start her up

Mine disconnected the day after I bought the car, I hit a pothole I think. The lights and the radio kept flicking on and off and just generally going haywire.

I was terrified and thought the car was for the scrapyard!
(Post Link) post #5 of 18 Old 20-02-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

All lights were flashing from fully lit to fully off... but I have an update.
A few minutes ago I tried again after coming back from work and this time the starter did a half spin before dying out: so it really looks like the battery is gone and that would be MUCH better :-)
I'm waiting for a friend with jumpstarter cables and eventually a battery.
I hope this will solve everything.

TY!
Roberto
AO Member

Did you check the battery Roberto? it's probably the connection on the negative terminal, you might not need a new battery or a jumpstart.
AO Silver Member

Sounds like textbook battery failure.

The clicking / dash lights are as follows. The starter solenoid is activated when you turn the key. The solenoid makes contact energising the starter motor. The starter motor takes all available current, extinguishing the dash lights, and dropping power going to the solenoid. The electromagnets in the solenoid can no longer hold the solenoid in the energised position due to the starter draining all the power, and releases, disconnecting the starter motor. This allows the battery to momentarily recover, re lighting the dash lights, and re energising the solenoid which moves back into the start position, re energising the starter motor, which drains all power, and the cycle starts again.

Be judged for the man you are, and the actions of your life, not the book you read or the statue you pray to.......

Never hold a grudge, its a sign of a small, petty person.
(Post Link) post #8 of 18 Old 20-02-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

While waiting for my friend to show up, I went and checked the battery: the leads are firmly connected and well greased, no traces of oxides, blue or otherwise. The 'recovery' of the battery is continuing, in an attempt the starter was able to drive the engine for 3 revolutions and half... but still not enough for ignition.

BTW, I really like the failure analysis by philoldsmobile, it's exactly what happened this morning. I never heard the clicking noise before and I had a good deal of battery failures when I was living in Italy: all were "silent", without clicking noises. Could it be that those cars (all cheap utility cars) had a different type of starter?

Thanks again :-)
Roberto
AO Silver Member

You're welcome

As to different starters on basic cars, no, not as such. On modern sophisticated cars there is an ecu, electronic fuel pump, climate control, audio system etc drawing power as well as the starter motor and solenoid. This means that with a drained battery there is more competing for power.

Last edited by philoldsmobile; 20-02-13 at 18:07.
AO Member

Chilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by philoldsmobile View Post
You're welcome

As to different starters on basic cars, no, not as such. On modern sophisticated cars there is an ecu, electronic fuel pump, climate control, audio system etc drawing power as well as the starter motor and solenoid. This means that with a drained battery there is more competing for power.
and that's why we're lucky to drive a car named ALFA ROMEO
AO Member

Wave

by the way, welcome to the club Robert.
you landed on a right forum, hope one time we could drive together and meet others in Abudhabi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto.m View Post
Hello people!

I've found this forum while searching for Alfa car repair shops in Abu Dhabi on Google.
This morning my Alfa GT didn't start: when I turn the key the engine stays still and i can only hear clicking sounds synchronized with the dashboard lights flashing: my untrained opinion is that the started motor is shorted and the clicking sound is some type of safety electical relay that's being triggered to avoid electrical current damage.

I've found this post

with a list of recommended service stations but it's from 2011 and I was wondering if someone has other names to suggest... they have to be in AD since the car won't move and I fear that unless this has been caused by tonight condensation, I'll need shop work and spare parts... :-(

Roberto
(Post Link) post #12 of 18 Old 25-02-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragzKuletJen View Post
by the way, welcome to the club Robert.
you landed on a right forum, hope one time we could drive together and meet others in Abudhabi.
Sure, I'd really like that

By the way, this is my first Alfa but I wanted to own one since before I got my driving license some 22 years ago ;-D thanks to a friend that inherited an old Alfa Giulia that was simply amazing :-)

For the record: to replace the battery I went to a "Orchid Auto Accessories" shop in Al Nahyan block, facing on Defence road (the 11th, turn right before the intersection with Najda St./6th)... fast and quick service but they quite ripped me off with 650 AED for a 66 Ah battery, ACDelco (?) brand... -___-;

Roberto
AO Member

i've got the same problem with you bro. i replaced battery also on my 147 selespeed, i believe almost same price like you. where you from in Abudhabi?
i am here working in Ruwais. in my place, ONLY ME driving an alfa romeo..COOL
(Post Link) post #14 of 18 Old 04-03-13 Thread Starter

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Quote:
i've got the same problem with you bro. i replaced battery also on my 147 selespeed, i believe almost same price like you. where you from in Abudhabi
I live in AD on the 11th St. and I didn't want to go to Mussafah (also because last time I went there I got into a car accident, someone behind didn't brake while I was waiting for a roundabout to clear... >_> not a lot of damages but still I don't really trust the repairs >_> )

Quote:
I am here working in Ruwais. in my place, ONLY ME driving an alfa romeo..COOL
Well even here in AD City there aren't a lot of Alfas... :-D

Roberto
AO Member

Drunk

Quote:
Well even here in AD City there aren't a lot of Alfas... :-D

Roberto
means we are lucky people ,
because we are one of those FEW individuals who drive Alfa
AO Member

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

Quote:
Hello people!

I've found this post

Roberto
Hi Robert,

Send me a Private mail, I live off murror rd, ill come around with my GT we will get yours started no problem, no need for a garage at the moment, perhaps a battery or fuse.

Just bring the beer
AO Member

Glad to hear that it is fixed.

price of the battery was insane! battery would cost around 450/- AED for a Varta...AC Delco should be cheaper. Next time get it from Musaffah

Just sold my 156 GTA so thats one less alfa in Abu Dhabi
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackpot View Post
Glad to hear that it is fixed.

price of the battery was insane! battery would cost around 450/- AED for a Varta...AC Delco should be cheaper. Next time get it from Musaffah

Just sold my 156 GTA so thats one less alfa in Abu Dhabi
what happened?
any reason for selling

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
2007 , alfa , start

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page