Restore it or get rid of it?! .. GTV 3.0 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

 
Thread Tools
(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 13-02-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 2

Member car:

GTV V6 '97

Restore it or get rid of it?! .. GTV 3.0

Hello

My name is Yousef and I have a bit of a dilemma .. My uncle was a great fan of Alfa Romeo and he owned a '98 GTV 3.0 .. Unfortunately this GTV fell victim to bad mechanics and ended up being parked in AbuDhabi for the past 2 years..

Moreover my uncle passed away a few months back and I had the GTV towed to Sharjah..

What I know about the car is that fuel is not reaching the engine (guess its a fuel pump), the clutch pedal completely depressed and wouldn't come back.. when it worked and you are on third gear and moving the gear snaps back to neutral and AC never worked..

A friend of mine is a mechanic and told me to get rid of it ... Too expensive to bring back to life and parts are hard to find.. Besides I do not know its detailed history in terms of what the bad mechanics have done..

On the other hand it was truly a mini Ferrari and its my uncle's legacy.. So am not comfortable with letting it go that easy..

Now I am car enthusiast and DIYer but am a Benz person and in my final stages of restoring a 560SEC ... But no experience with Alfas

That's why I am asking for your advice .. What do you guys think?
bilal is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Status: pothole avoidance score - 9 out of 10
AO Silver Member
 
Laptop_Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: United Kingdom
County: Derbyshire
Posts: 3,046
Garage
For gods sake fix it.

Reliability is boring
Laptop_Matt is offline  
Status: -
Unregistered
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United Kingdom
County: Lancashire
Posts: 57,288
If you're handy with Spanners we have some of the best tech forums on the net in here

Being a former GTV V6 owner I say get it back on the road
Happy Man is offline  
Status: 3.2 Busso powered
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaMartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,669
A V6 GTV should definately be back on the road
AlfaMartini is offline  
dkr
Status: -
AO Member
 
dkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: South Africa
County: Gauteng
Posts: 763
Sounds like a fuel pump and new clutch slave cylinder. Aircon could be the one of the pipes that have rubbed against the body and cause a hole. Nothing to scrap the car for. Parts can be bought online for these cars and couriered anywhere.
dkr is offline  
Status: -
AO Platinum Member
 
Ralf S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The land that Time forgot
Posts: 13,058
Fixy!!

Ralf S.
Ralf S. is offline  
Status: .................... ...
AO Silver Member
 
Stephen Manjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: -
Posts: 1,216
Bilal,

Call Hussein on 050 585 2304 and take your car to him.

Let him look at it and let you know what's happening. If it's a 12V, I would recommend just dropping in a newer 24V motor from a scrapped 166.. there's quite a few of them lying around and Hussein would know where to get one..

He also has clutches in stock for that car. The OEM Valeo's which are good enough.. The A/C is also not much of an issue. Usually it's the compressors that go. Hussein's really good with A/C systems. He sorted my GTA out quickly when I had A/C issues..

Bottom line is, these cars are great to drive and beautiful and there's fewer and fewer of them on the road nowadays. Besides, it would be a great honour to get the car back on the road for sentimental reasons...

All the best man, whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Manjai
BMW E36 M3 3.0 (1996), Subaru Outback 3.0R (2009), Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV (1968)
Stephen Manjai is offline  
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-13 Thread Starter
Status: -
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Spain
County: Malaga
Posts: 2

Member car:

GTV V6 '97

Hello

Thank you every1 for ur input... havent been able to reply for a while because of work.. I am gonna start working on it to at least start the engine and then get a better look at what is going on.. i am willing to invest however if i feel that its gonna cost thousands.. then am gonna stop and rethink it over...

believe it or not the is good chance another GTV (convertible ) from a friend.. might be on its way to me.. so i can use it as a parts car .. hopefully i can assemble one car from these two..

Thanks Stephen for your advice i will certainly contact Hussain in case i get to something i cannot manage...

I would like to know if there are any recommended shops for parts in general besides Gargash.. and does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..

Thanks again..
bilal is offline  
Status: 3.2 Busso powered
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaMartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal View Post
Does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..
I've always used Haynes Workshop Manuals for my various car & motorcycle restoration projects over the years... However I've checked their catalogue list, and unfortunately the only Alfas they cover are the Alfasud/Sprint and the Alfetta.
AlfaMartini is offline  
Status: .................... ...
AO Silver Member
 
Stephen Manjai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: -
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini View Post
I've always used Haynes Workshop Manuals for my various car & motorcycle restoration projects over the years... However I've checked their catalogue list, and unfortunately the only Alfas they cover are the Alfasud/Sprint and the Alfetta.
What are you working on bud?
Stephen Manjai is offline  
Status: 3.2 Busso powered
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaMartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,669
Hi Stephen,

My most recent restorations were ex Police motorcycles (BMW R60-7 and a Triumph Tiger 750), and a Series 2 Lotus Super 7 a few years ago. Sadly I've not had the time nor access to available workshop facilities in UAE to do any restorations... The company I work for does have extensive workshop & paintshop facilities etc, but we are located within a security gated Abu Dhabi international airport area, and are therefore not accessible for such projects.
AlfaMartini is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: Abu Zaby
Posts: 342

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal View Post
Hello

Thank you every1 for ur input... havent been able to reply for a while because of work.. I am gonna start working on it to at least start the engine and then get a better look at what is going on.. i am willing to invest however if i feel that its gonna cost thousands.. then am gonna stop and rethink it over...

believe it or not the is good chance another GTV (convertible ) from a friend.. might be on its way to me.. so i can use it as a parts car .. hopefully i can assemble one car from these two..

Thanks Stephen for your advice i will certainly contact Hussain in case i get to something i cannot manage...

I would like to know if there are any recommended shops for parts in general besides Gargash.. and does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..

Thanks again..
Its gonna cost thousands make no mistake about it - but thats not a reason no to have it repaired!
Dubai GT is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: Abu Zaby
Posts: 342

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini View Post
Hi Stephen,

My most recent restorations were ex Police motorcycles (BMW R60-7 and a Triumph Tiger 750), and a Series 2 Lotus Super 7 a few years ago. Sadly I've not had the time nor access to available workshop facilities in UAE to do any restorations... The company I work for does have extensive workshop & paintshop facilities etc, but we are located within a security gated Abu Dhabi international airport area, and are therefore not accessible for such projects.
surely they must be way, I have a 1980 GTV project to undertake in Abu Dhabi after my GT is fininshed
Dubai GT is offline  
Status: -
AO Member
 
almayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: United Arab Emirates
County: -
Posts: 117
Bilal,

- yes it's going to cost you thousands
- yes it doesn't make any sense
- yes you'll never be able to recoup the investment if you ever decide to sell the car once it's fixed

That said, I would definitely do it.

Because it's an Alfa.

Because it's your uncle's car.

Because he had great taste for cars and he's definitely going to be happy knowing you brought it back to life.

Go for it!
almayer is offline  
Status: 3.2 Busso powered
AO Gold Member
 
AlfaMartini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 7,669
Hi Bilal...

I fully agree with almayer's comments... this car deserves to be restored!
AlfaMartini is offline  
Status: Pistonless.
AO Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Portugal
County: Faro
Posts: 573

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Bilal,

- yes it's going to cost you thousands
- yes it doesn't make any sense
- yes you'll never be able to recoup the investment if you ever decide to sell the car once it's fixed

That said, I would definitely do it.

Because it's an Alfa.

Because it's your uncle's car.

Because he had great taste for cars and he's definitely going to be happy knowing you brought it back to life.

Go for it!
Enough said, no question about it.
Save it.
RuiX8 is offline  
Reply

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
gtv , restore , rid

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome