Restore it or get rid of it?! .. GTV 3.0 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

(Post Link) post #1 of 16 Old 13-02-13 Thread Starter

County: Malaga

Member car:

GTV V6 '97

Restore it or get rid of it?! .. GTV 3.0

Hello

My name is Yousef and I have a bit of a dilemma .. My uncle was a great fan of Alfa Romeo and he owned a '98 GTV 3.0 .. Unfortunately this GTV fell victim to bad mechanics and ended up being parked in AbuDhabi for the past 2 years..

Moreover my uncle passed away a few months back and I had the GTV towed to Sharjah..

What I know about the car is that fuel is not reaching the engine (guess its a fuel pump), the clutch pedal completely depressed and wouldn't come back.. when it worked and you are on third gear and moving the gear snaps back to neutral and AC never worked..

A friend of mine is a mechanic and told me to get rid of it ... Too expensive to bring back to life and parts are hard to find.. Besides I do not know its detailed history in terms of what the bad mechanics have done..

On the other hand it was truly a mini Ferrari and its my uncle's legacy.. So am not comfortable with letting it go that easy..

Now I am car enthusiast and DIYer but am a Benz person and in my final stages of restoring a 560SEC ... But no experience with Alfas

That's why I am asking for your advice .. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Derbyshire
Garage
For gods sake fix it.

Reliability is boring
Unregistered

County: Lancashire
If you're handy with Spanners we have some of the best tech forums on the net in here

Being a former GTV V6 owner I say get it back on the road
AO Gold Member

A V6 GTV should definately be back on the road
dkr
AO Member

County: Gauteng
Sounds like a fuel pump and new clutch slave cylinder. Aircon could be the one of the pipes that have rubbed against the body and cause a hole. Nothing to scrap the car for. Parts can be bought online for these cars and couriered anywhere.
AO Platinum Member

Fixy!!

Ralf S.
AO Silver Member

County: -
Bilal,

Call Hussein on 050 585 2304 and take your car to him.

Let him look at it and let you know what's happening. If it's a 12V, I would recommend just dropping in a newer 24V motor from a scrapped 166.. there's quite a few of them lying around and Hussein would know where to get one..

He also has clutches in stock for that car. The OEM Valeo's which are good enough.. The A/C is also not much of an issue. Usually it's the compressors that go. Hussein's really good with A/C systems. He sorted my GTA out quickly when I had A/C issues..

Bottom line is, these cars are great to drive and beautiful and there's fewer and fewer of them on the road nowadays. Besides, it would be a great honour to get the car back on the road for sentimental reasons...

All the best man, whatever you decide.

Cheers,

Stephen

Stephen Manjai
BMW E36 M3 3.0 (1996), Subaru Outback 3.0R (2009), Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV (1968)
(Post Link) post #8 of 16 Old 10-03-13 Thread Starter

County: Malaga

Member car:

GTV V6 '97

Hello

Thank you every1 for ur input... havent been able to reply for a while because of work.. I am gonna start working on it to at least start the engine and then get a better look at what is going on.. i am willing to invest however if i feel that its gonna cost thousands.. then am gonna stop and rethink it over...

believe it or not the is good chance another GTV (convertible ) from a friend.. might be on its way to me.. so i can use it as a parts car .. hopefully i can assemble one car from these two..

Thanks Stephen for your advice i will certainly contact Hussain in case i get to something i cannot manage...

I would like to know if there are any recommended shops for parts in general besides Gargash.. and does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..

Thanks again..
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal View Post
Does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..
I've always used Haynes Workshop Manuals for my various car & motorcycle restoration projects over the years... However I've checked their catalogue list, and unfortunately the only Alfas they cover are the Alfasud/Sprint and the Alfetta.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini View Post
I've always used Haynes Workshop Manuals for my various car & motorcycle restoration projects over the years... However I've checked their catalogue list, and unfortunately the only Alfas they cover are the Alfasud/Sprint and the Alfetta.
What are you working on bud?
AO Gold Member

Hi Stephen,

My most recent restorations were ex Police motorcycles (BMW R60-7 and a Triumph Tiger 750), and a Series 2 Lotus Super 7 a few years ago. Sadly I've not had the time nor access to available workshop facilities in UAE to do any restorations... The company I work for does have extensive workshop & paintshop facilities etc, but we are located within a security gated Abu Dhabi international airport area, and are therefore not accessible for such projects.
AO Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilal View Post
Hello

Thank you every1 for ur input... havent been able to reply for a while because of work.. I am gonna start working on it to at least start the engine and then get a better look at what is going on.. i am willing to invest however if i feel that its gonna cost thousands.. then am gonna stop and rethink it over...

believe it or not the is good chance another GTV (convertible ) from a friend.. might be on its way to me.. so i can use it as a parts car .. hopefully i can assemble one car from these two..

Thanks Stephen for your advice i will certainly contact Hussain in case i get to something i cannot manage...

I would like to know if there are any recommended shops for parts in general besides Gargash.. and does anyone know of a repair manual i can buy to help me out with RnR and torque values for bolts etc..

Thanks again..
Its gonna cost thousands make no mistake about it - but thats not a reason no to have it repaired!
AO Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

2007 - 3.2 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini View Post
Hi Stephen,

My most recent restorations were ex Police motorcycles (BMW R60-7 and a Triumph Tiger 750), and a Series 2 Lotus Super 7 a few years ago. Sadly I've not had the time nor access to available workshop facilities in UAE to do any restorations... The company I work for does have extensive workshop & paintshop facilities etc, but we are located within a security gated Abu Dhabi international airport area, and are therefore not accessible for such projects.
surely they must be way, I have a 1980 GTV project to undertake in Abu Dhabi after my GT is fininshed
AO Member

Bilal,

- yes it's going to cost you thousands
- yes it doesn't make any sense
- yes you'll never be able to recoup the investment if you ever decide to sell the car once it's fixed

That said, I would definitely do it.

Because it's an Alfa.

Because it's your uncle's car.

Because he had great taste for cars and he's definitely going to be happy knowing you brought it back to life.

Go for it!
AO Gold Member

Hi Bilal...

I fully agree with almayer's comments... this car deserves to be restored!
AO Member

County: Faro

Member car:

Mazda RX-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Bilal,

- yes it's going to cost you thousands
- yes it doesn't make any sense
- yes you'll never be able to recoup the investment if you ever decide to sell the car once it's fixed

That said, I would definitely do it.

Because it's an Alfa.

Because it's your uncle's car.

Because he had great taste for cars and he's definitely going to be happy knowing you brought it back to life.

Go for it!
Enough said, no question about it.
Save it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
gtv , restore , rid

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page