Oil recommendations and where to buy parts ? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

kia

Oil recommendations and where to buy parts ?

Hi all,

Can someone recommend a place to buy Alfa parts? I tried to get my oil changed but am stuck cos most of the service centres don't stock the damn filter.

pn 71736159

Maybe I should try Fiat shops lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Davffc

Thats for a twinspark then you can order 46808398 instead - also fits Fiat Puntos too

kia

Ta!

Will look for it, hope its not as elusive as the other lol

AO Member

County: Dubayy

Member car:

Chev

The oil filters are pretty cheap even at the agents...I like to use the OEM stuff where I can.

With oil, follow the manufacturers recomendation. Personally, if the car is 'older' or has a little higher mileage, I prefer to go for a thicker oil. I have good experience with Castrol Edge 20W60
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlightblue View Post
The oil filters are pretty cheap even at the agents...I like to use the OEM stuff where I can.

With oil, follow the manufacturers recomendation. Personally, if the car is 'older' or has a little higher mileage, I prefer to go for a thicker oil. I have good experience with Castrol Edge 20W60
do you where to get good oil?
I am looking for a shop which has more than 1 brand.
I think Gargash is using Valvoline, while for petrol stations they only have local brands.

thanks
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
do you where to get good oil?
I am looking for a shop which has more than 1 brand.
I think Gargash is using Valvoline, while for petrol stations they only have local brands.

thanks
Go to Yellow Hat. They have a selection of oils

Last edited by mossawi; 14-02-12 at 15:11.
kia

I can't see the rationale behind using a 20W 60 ("thicker oil") on a high-mileage vehicle. How exactly is it supposed to offer it added protection?

Why not use 20W 60s right from when the car is brand new then...?

kia

Does anyone know where to buy these oil filters from, please? Other than Gargash and Ahli?

AO Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager 3.3L and 3.8L use the same filter - a 1998 model should do..

Last edited by Richard Moss; 01-02-14 at 14:20.
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moss View Post
Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager 3.3L and 3.8L use the same filter - a 1998 model should do.
You sure??

Alfa - OIL FILTER: UFI spin-on oil filter 23.415.00

CV 3.3L '98 - OIL FILTER: UFI spin-on oil filter 23.127.00

Quite a significant difference in the dimensions if you ask me !

AO Member

Member car:

Chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
I can't see the rationale behind using a 20W 60 ("thicker oil") on a high-mileage vehicle. How exactly is it supposed to offer it added protection?

Why not use 20W 60s right from when the car is brand new then...?
As car engines age with use, the tolerances between the moving parts increases (wear). Thinner oils dont cling to the parts and 'fill' the gaps as when it is new, and the lubrication capability decreases. Modern engine have closer tolerances and thin oils are designed in accordance to be able to fit into those tolerances.

Also, the rating 20W60, 5w20 etc refers to the viscosity at cold (20) and at operating temperature (60). Essentially, they remain thicker at hotter temps. The only downside of a thicker oil in an older engine is that the oil pump has to 'work' a little harder...minimal performnce hit.

Put a 20W60 in a new, modern engine will result in lack of lube, and the resultant parts failure.
kia

Quote:
As car engines age with use, the tolerances between the moving parts increases (wear). Thinner oils dont cling to the parts and 'fill' the gaps as when it is new, and the lubrication capability decreases. Modern engine have closer tolerances and thin oils are designed in accordance to be able to fit into those tolerances.

Also, the rating 20W60, 5w20 etc refers to the viscosity at cold (20) and at operating temperature (60). Essentially, they remain thicker at hotter temps. The only downside of a thicker oil in an older engine is that the oil pump has to 'work' a little harder...minimal performnce hit.

Put a 20W60 in a new, modern engine will result in lack of lube, and the resultant parts failure.
"Some people believe that if a 30 weight oil provides good protection, a 50 weight must provide great protection. That's not necessarily true. If your vehicle was not designed to take a 50 weight oil, using one may not cause more engine wear, but it will likely cause an increase in engine temperatures. This can be just as bad for the longevity of your engine as increased engine wear"

The Motor Oil Bible - Chapter One

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Why not just buy the correct filter from Alfa, surely they cant be that expensive?

My last filter was 55 riyals from the dealer, I cant really see the point of trying to find a cheaper filter

Last edited by Pascs; 15-02-12 at 17:33.
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
Why not just buy the correct filter from Alfa, surely they cant be that expensive?
I am using the correct filter but am irked that it is so damn hard to find it at any place other than Alfa in the UAE. Just wondered if any Alfistis knew better.

kia

Quote:
"Some people believe that if a 30 weight oil provides good protection, a 50 weight must provide great protection. That's not necessarily true. If your vehicle was not designed to take a 50 weight oil, using one may not cause more engine wear, but it will likely cause an increase in engine temperatures. This can be just as bad for the longevity of your engine as increased engine wear"

The Motor Oil Bible - Chapter One
Are any car manufacturers out there that recommend using a higher viscosity grade oil for high mileage vehicles?

Even the likes of Mobil 1 , Castrol, etc. recommend using the same grade that was designed for the car but with their High mileage formulations that come in different grades (which were actually meant for your car) and that have extra additives for cleaning, seal protection, and anti-wear protection.

Mobil 1 High Mileage Oils

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
I am using the correct filter but am irked that it is so damn hard to find it at any place other than Alfa in the UAE. Just wondered if any Alfistis knew better.
Ah ok.

I was using K&N Performance oil filter when I had the oil cooler fitted on my V6 but the filter thread for that setup was the GTA thread. I'm sure K&N also do one the same thread as 2.5 V6 but the filters are probably too long and more difficult to get than a genuine Alfa one

Now I just take my Alfas to the dealer and get them to do the oil and filter change. On the V6 its a pain to get to the filter and I cant be bother lying on my back to change it myself

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
kia

Quote:
Ah ok.

I was using K&N Performance oil filter when I had the oil cooler fitted on my V6 but the filter thread for that setup was the GTA thread. I'm sure K&N also do one the same thread as 2.5 V6 but the filters are probably too long and more difficult to get than a genuine Alfa one

Now I just take my Alfas to the dealer and get them to do the oil and filter change. On the V6 its a pain to get to the filter and I cant be bother lying on my back to change it myself

kia

Pascs, does the dealer use Selenia or Valvoline?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Neither, I think they used to use BP oil but to be honest I no longer pay much attention to what oil they use. My Selespeed, which I bought new from the dealer, never used any oil up to the time I sold it (80,000kms) and this was using whatever oil the dealer put in it......so I've come to the conclusion that using the correct grade is the most important and just change it regularly.
My two V6s dont use any oil between services either so my spare can of oil just sits in the shed doing nothing

Sorry not much help really
kia

Quote:
Neither, I think they used to use BP oil but to be honest I no longer pay much attention to what oil they use. My Selespeed, which I bought new from the dealer, never used any oil up to the time I sold it (80,000kms) and this was using whatever oil the dealer put in it......so I've come to the conclusion that using the correct grade is the most important and just change it regularly.
My two V6s dont use any oil between services either so my spare can of oil just sits in the shed doing nothing

Sorry not much help really
Actually, that's very useful info. from an Alfa veteran. So the key is using right grade of oil and regular changes. Thx

AO Member

Member car:

Chev

While I dont dispute the 'High Mileage Oils' might be good/better, some of it is a marketing ploy by the oil companies, after all, they aren't in it for the charity, but they do need to maintain some integrity.

The reason i PREFER (<---- not a recommendation) to use a higher viscosity oil is simply for the reasons I stated above about the tolerances on older engines, coupled with the fact that we live in a hot climate, and the low temperature viscosity requirements of the oil is negated, but the high temp requirements are critical.
I have not noted higher temps of the engine with the thicker oil, but it seems to run a lot smoother. The water temp and oil temp/pressure guages may not show minor differences, so my deduction is not conclusive....
What I DO know is that the engine is old, built on lower tolerances and does not like heat build up, as such, I throw Castrol Edge 20W60 in it, and she purrrrs (apart from the clattery valve lash which is currently being attended to). :-)

I dont know what Gargash uses, but I believe it is Valvoline...they dont stock Selenia, or if they do, the dont sell it in retail packs....
AO Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

Quote:
You sure??

Alfa - OIL FILTER: UFI spin-on oil filter 23.415.00

CV 3.3L '98 - OIL FILTER: UFI spin-on oil filter 23.127.00

Quite a significant difference in the dimensions if you ask me !
I took a slightly roundabout route to arrive at the answer:

I tried to cross-refer the 166 3L filter against available American filters but no-one listed it. However, I checked size, spec and design of the 164 3L filter against the 166 3L and found out that they were the same size, shape, relief valve pressure, both had anti drain valves etc. Then, because 164s WERE available in the USA, I was able to cross-refer the 164 filter against available US models and it threw up a huge list. The reason for looking at US spec vehicles is that Italian cars are rare here in the Middle East (apart from Ferraris and Lamborginis) and the nearest Alfa dealer is 130km away but Yank car parts are cheap and readily available.

I used the FRAM websites (one UK, one USA) to check the details but bought a different brand of filter. Oddly FRAM list different part numbers in the USA and UK which is why cross-referring is a pain. However, the FRAM UK website lists the same filter for 166 3L 24v and 164 3L 24v so that's good enough for me. Details here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...atibility.html

The FRAM UK part number is PH9105 and the list of compatible vehicles includes FIAT 127 1300 GT, miost UNOs and pretty much everything Yugo (Zastava) made. Here's another crossref: http://www.trupart.co.uk/trupart/xref/0020fram.htm

Last edited by Richard Moss; 22-02-12 at 09:17.
kia

Quote:
While I dont dispute the 'High Mileage Oils' might be good/better, some of it is a marketing ploy by the oil companies, after all, they aren't in it for the charity, but they do need to maintain some integrity.

The reason i PREFER (<---- not a recommendation) to use a higher viscosity oil is simply for the reasons I stated above about the tolerances on older engines, coupled with the fact that we live in a hot climate, and the low temperature viscosity requirements of the oil is negated, but the high temp requirements are critical.
I have not noted higher temps of the engine with the thicker oil, but it seems to run a lot smoother. The water temp and oil temp/pressure guages may not show minor differences, so my deduction is not conclusive....
What I DO know is that the engine is old, built on lower tolerances and does not like heat build up, as such, I throw Castrol Edge 20W60 in it, and she purrrrs (apart from the clattery valve lash which is currently being attended to). :-)

I dont know what Gargash uses, but I believe it is Valvoline...they dont stock Selenia, or if they do, the dont sell it in retail packs....

If the solution to the 'low tolerance theory' on older engines was higher viscosity oils, then you'd have seen all the oil manufacturers having 'high mileage oils' that contain higher oil grades. People would still buy it. Why would they risk having engines fail because of something that does not work?

As you suggest that the oil companies may be benefiting from this ploy, which could well be true, how come car manufacturers don't recommend a thicker oil for high mileage vehicles? Are they in on it too?

Is there even one car manufacturer that recommends a thicker oil for a high mileage vehicle?

kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moss View Post
I took a slightly roundabout route to arrive at the answer:

I tried to cross-refer the 166 3L filter against available American filters but no-one listed it. However, I checked size, spec and design of the 164 3L filter against the 166 3L and found out that they were the same size, shape, relief valve pressure, both had anti drain valves etc. Then, because 164s WERE available in the USA, I was able to cross-refer the 164 filter against available US models and it threw up a huge list. The reason for looking at US spec vehicles is that Italian cars are rare here in the Middle East (apart from Ferraris and Lamborginis) and the nearest Alfa dealer is 130km away but Yank car parts are cheap and readily available.

I used the FRAM websites (one UK, one USA) to check the details but bought a different brand of filter. Oddly FRAM list different part numbers in the USA and UK which is why cross-referring is a pain. However, the FRAM UK website lists the same filter for 166 3L 24v and 164 3L 24v so that's good enough for me. Details here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...atibility.html

The FRAM UK part number is PH9105 and the list of compatible vehicles includes FIAT 127 1300 GT, miost UNOs and pretty much everything Yugo (Zastava) made. Here's another crossref: Xref List
There appears to be some confusion because the part number I had posted was for the 1.6TS, 1.8TS, 2.0TS which I believe are smaller in size?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

The 156 (1.6TS, 1.8TS, 2.0TS and 2.5V6 - M20x1.5) use the same filter. The GTA uses a different filter as does the 2.0JTS and the JTD's

The V6 166 uses a different filter than the 156 2.5 V6, they use the same filter as the 156 GTA

edit: the GTA thread is M19 or 3/4" if I remember correctly

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
buy , oil , parts , recommendations

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page