which tyre brand? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

(Post Link) post #1 of 29 Old 18-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

which tyre brand?

I think I will have to replace the tires soon, any suggestions for 215/45/17 size?
Also maybe information where I could get them with good price
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

I usually get Bridgestone, directly from their shop on Sh. Zayed rd.
AO Member

County: Dubayy
My choice is perrelli. I used them for a long time and they seem to be best fit for me.
AO Member

Perrelli? A new brand? ;-)
(Post Link) post #5 of 29 Old 23-11-11 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

LOL, thanks for the suggestion guys, probably I'll go for Bridgestone or Dunlop.

I know that you'll get what you paid for, but is there really a difference between high priced names like Pirelli, Continental or Michelin, compared to Bridgestone or Dunlop?

I mean we dont expect much rain in this area, right?
AO Member

Never had Dunlop, but Stephen (another Alfa owner) had very bad experience with them.
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Perrelli? A new brand? ;-)
Nando's do tyres?

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kia View Post
Nando's do tyres?
Have you not hears? I comes with a choice of 2 side dishes.

AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Never had Dunlop, but Stephen (another Alfa owner) had very bad experience with them.
I had Dunlops once and they shredded to pieces. Stuck to Pirelli (happy?) since then
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossawi View Post
I had Dunlops once and they shredded to pieces. Stuck to Pirelli (happy?) since then
Shredded to pieces?

AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I have recently fitted a set Falken FK452 (225/45x17) to replace my Michelin PS2's - quite happy with them

One of the Dunlops on my 4x4 blew up while the car was stationary, they were only about 2 years old and all 4 had issues. The next set lasted ok and I now have Goodyears on it, which seem to be good.

I also had a set of Pirelli P6000 on a car I bought, they were probably the worst tyres I've had on a car here. The rubber must have gone hard or something as they squealed everywhere and had very unpredictable behavior.

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17” GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Last edited by Pascs; 12-02-12 at 18:04. Reason: double post
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzpermadi View Post
I think I will have to replace the tires soon, any suggestions for 215/45/17 size?
Also maybe information where I could get them with good price
215 45 17 Tyres reviews | the online tyre guide

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - any opinions on this?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I had 225/45 PS2's on my GTA wheels for a few years and was really happy with the grip and wear. Being 225/45 I found them reasonably comfortable (compared to my previous 215/45 tyres on my other wheels) and quiet too.

Only replaced them because the rubber was starting to fail due to their age and the extreme heat......I used them on the track a couple of times too. The Falkens I have on now are pretty similar and much cheaper than the Michelins
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascs View Post
I had 225/45 PS2's on my GTA wheels for a few years and was really happy with the grip and wear. Being 225/45 I found them reasonably comfortable (compared to my previous 215/45 tyres on my other wheels) and quiet too.

Only replaced them because the rubber was starting to fail due to their age and the extreme heat......I used them on the track a couple of times too. The Falkens I have on now are pretty similar and much cheaper than the Michelins
How much are the Falkens?

AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
How much are the Falkens?
I paid about QR550 each including fitting etc but probably they are cheaper in Dubai. The same shop also had Goodyears for about QR100 more each. I think the Michelins are about QR800 each here

Thats for 225/45 tyres, the 215/45 might be a bit different.
AO Member

Quote:
215 45 17 Tyres reviews | the online tyre guide

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 - any opinions on this?
These are good tires. But if you want Michelins (my preferred brand too), I'd rather go for the super sport instead of the PS2. They have better tread wear from my experience.
kia

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmagnoon View Post
These are good tires. But if you want Michelins (my preferred brand too), I'd rather go for the super sport instead of the PS2. They have better tread wear from my experience.

AO Rosso Alfa Member

County: Larnaca
Michelins and Continentals are quite good. They last long enough and theyre not that noisy when they get a lot of mileage on them

AO Silver Member

Guys.... don't get me started with tyres and the UAE... lol.. ok here goes...

On my former 166 (over 130,000km)

Dunlop - Grip (Good); Noise (Plenty); Price (Good); Wear/Longevity (Above Average)
Falken - Grip (OK); Noise (Plenty); Price (Excellent); Wear/Longevity (Rubbish)
Nitto Neogen - Grip (OK); Noise (Plenty); Price (Excellent); Wear/Longevity (Rubbish)
Toyo Proxes - Grip (OK); Noise (Excellent); Price (Very Good); Wear/Longevity(Average)
Yokohama – Grip (OK); Noise (Very Good); Price (Very Good) Wear/Longevity (Excellent)

On my GTA (over 70,000km so far) i've had:

Michelin Pilot Sport - ... Grip (Excellent); Noise (None); Price (Ouch); Wear/Longevity (Excellent)
Marangoni Zeta Linea - Grip (Good); Noise (Average); Price (Excellent) Wear/Longevity(OK)
Dunlop SP 7000 - Grip (Good); Noise (Too Much); Price (Fair); Wear/Longevity (Above Average)

Falken
Rubbish really, after 20,000km had bumps and lumps all over, rubbish sidewalls too, good grip in the dry, but wearing. i reckon because its a soft compound tyre.. also...
Nitto
This tyre was especially rubbish... it delaminated (peeled) off while i was driving to Fujairah in Summer of 2008. It looked like a retread tyre, the way it peeled off, and this happened twice. A second tyre peeled off while I was driving to Abu Dhabi a month later. So yes I am sure that they are rubbish!
Toyo Proxes
The only tyre I’ve used that’s quieter than the Michelin Pilot Sport. Not very strong sidewalls though.
Michelin Pilot Sport
Michelin Pilot Sport again.... Pilot sports are the best tyres i have ever used... period. I drive my GTA really hard all the time, and these tyres relish the corners, grip is amazing all the time on pull away, while braking, etc.., My first set in 2007 lasted me 40K and with my driving, i thought that was really good.. the only bummer is the price. AED 1,500 - AED 1,700 depending on where you go, per tyre!

But hey, how much is your life worth.. My second set currently on the car have lasted me 30K and are still going strong. They’re drying out now unfortunaltely, so in another 4 months I will have to change them. Will wait for summer to end..

These are my experiences....

Ah and please remember…. If you do have the unfortunate experience of having a puncture in Summer like I did in 2008, twice… keep your wheel spanner under the car, or inside the car in the A/C otherwise when you try and hold it again, you will burn your hands.. I burnt my hands on the tyre and the spanner.. lol..

I actually had to use pieces of cloth to take the tyre off. It was 50+ that day and I had been driving for almost 100 kilometres when the nitto tyres gave way!

Happy motoring y’all..

Stephen Manjai
BMW E36 M3 3.0 (1996), Subaru Outback 3.0R (2009), Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV (1968)
AO Gold Member

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

I'm hardly putting any mileage on my 156 at the moment because the AC is pretty rubbish so I'm driving my very dull (but fantastic AC) Camry most days.

Will be interesting to see how the Falkens last
AO Gold Member

Hi Stephen,

The current tyres on my GTA are Yokohama Advan Neova AD08’s, which are now beginning to dry out and growl a bit, so I’ll be replacing them soon… My previous tyres were Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec’s, (which were actually more responsive than the Yoko’s). Both are “Extreme Performance Summer Tyres”, and I’ve been thinking of going for Bridgestone Potenza RE-11’s next as they are within the same performance category.

However none of these tyres are directly available in UAE, and in the past I’ve had to pay shipping + UAE customs charges in addition to the “Tyre Rack” pricing in order to import them, which bumps up the cost considerably. However Michelin Abu Dhabi do have 225/45/17 PS-3’s in stock at AED 930 per tyre, which compares well considering the additional personal import costs involved with my preferred import only tyres, so I think I’ll be fitting PS-3’s next.

The PS-3’s are in a lower performance category “Max Performance Summer Tires” so their levels of grip & response will presumably be lower, but with the ever-increasing number of vehicles on our UAE roads plus the related speed restrictions & cameras etc, we can no longer exercise our GTA’s as nature intended, so I guess PS-3’s will be acceptable replacements.

Martin.
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaMartini View Post

but with the ever-increasing number of vehicles on our UAE roads plus the related speed restrictions & cameras etc, we can no longer exercise our GTA’s as nature intended, so I guess PS-3’s will be acceptable replacements.

Martin.
Or a track day maybe??
AO Silver Member

Martin,

Yeah, go with the PS3's for now. If you need a set of road tyres the PS3's are perfect. The Pilot Sports are great all rounders. For that money though, don't overlook the Good Year Eagle F1. When i last checked they were AED 950 each
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gdyf1.jpg (20.0 KB, 38 views)
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossawi View Post
Or a track day maybe??
Mo,

I need to find out how much it costs for a session at Yas. Its currently AED 600 for a session at the Autodrome. I hour split into 3 20 minute sessions..

Will do some digging and post..

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
brand , tyre

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page