Greetings all Alfisti - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 15-03-11 Thread Starter

County: -
Greetings all Alfisti

Dear All,

I've recently relocated to the UAE from South Africa. I'm based in RAK and I've replaced my 156 JTD 20V M-Jet left in South Africa with a 156 GTA in the UAE.

Please inform me of any UAE Alfa Club meetings and social events. I would love to meet people passionate about their Alfas.

Regards

Dewald
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Abu Zaby
hello and welcome!

I have a 156GTA myself (curiously, someone has offered to buy it!). have fun!
(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 22-03-11 Thread Starter

Hi Krack!

Thanks for the reply. The GTA's are just phenominal machines. It was love at first sight when I saw it on the showroom floor a few years ago. I'm enjoying every second of mine!

What are the specs on yours - colour, interior finish, transmission, rims, mods?

Mine's a 2003 in Rosso Red, full black interior, 6 speed manual running on 17" Multispokes.

I cleaned the engine thoroughly a couple of nights ago. Just after that I started the car and warning lights flashed indicating a fault with the Motor Control Unit. From past experience (had a VW Polo and after every engine wash it would just die on me - found some moisture on the distributor to be the problem), I parked the car and left it for a day. I figured all moisture should evaporate from the engine bay by that time.

The next time I started it, I had no warning lights scaring me and I took it out for a drive. Now, when I reduce speed and gear down and then accellerate from 2nd, 3rd or 4th I can feel sort of a "dead spot" for a second and then power is delivered smoothly. Have you or anyone reading this experienced the same thing??? Any suggestions?

I cleaned the standard exhaust too with some soap&water (just shining them up). Could it be that my MAF (Mass Airflowmeter) is a bit out bonkers?
AO Member

County: Abu Zaby
Wonderful!

Me is on a 2005 Jet Black on Black 156 GTA (Selespeed)...it got sideswiped by a Nissan Patrol so it has been in the garage since a month (insurance wrangles!)...i hope to get it sometime next week.

Actually, my car has always had a flat spot under acceleration, which I used to blame on Selespeed/Rev Limited/etc. Maybe some of the more experienced guys would have a better idea...or you could take it to Abdulla Ahli garage. They will have the answer.
AO Member

Welcome to the UAE Dewald! I'm in Dubai and have a black 98 Spider (2.0 TS) and just recently bought from my friend Stephen a beautiful 166 3.0 V6 (Busso!!!). We organize meetings from time to time, and drives to Fujerah. looking forward to meet you!
AO Member

County: Dubayy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewald Lubbe View Post
Hi Krack!

Thanks for the reply. The GTA's are just phenominal machines. It was love at first sight when I saw it on the showroom floor a few years ago. I'm enjoying every second of mine!

What are the specs on yours - colour, interior finish, transmission, rims, mods?

Mine's a 2003 in Rosso Red, full black interior, 6 speed manual running on 17" Multispokes.

I cleaned the engine thoroughly a couple of nights ago. Just after that I started the car and warning lights flashed indicating a fault with the Motor Control Unit. From past experience (had a VW Polo and after every engine wash it would just die on me - found some moisture on the distributor to be the problem), I parked the car and left it for a day. I figured all moisture should evaporate from the engine bay by that time.

The next time I started it, I had no warning lights scaring me and I took it out for a drive. Now, when I reduce speed and gear down and then accellerate from 2nd, 3rd or 4th I can feel sort of a "dead spot" for a second and then power is delivered smoothly. Have you or anyone reading this experienced the same thing??? Any suggestions?

I cleaned the standard exhaust too with some soap&water (just shining them up). Could it be that my MAF (Mass Airflowmeter) is a bit out bonkers?
Hi Dewald,

I know the car you just bought :-) It is the only 6 speed manual in the country and I almost bought it a few years back. I have a 2.5 v6 manual and a GTA selespeed and enjoy both to bits.

Your problem can be related to electrics, probably spark plugs or a connection after you cleaned the engine or a MAF as you suggested. I have a GTA MAF which I took off my car when it was at 29,000 km and it should function fine. Happy to lend it to you to test if you want.

And to clean the engine, never use water :-) get some engine degreaser from Ace Hardware and a damp cloth. The results are much better and without the side effects of moisture.

Enjoy your GTA

Mossawi
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 27-03-11 Thread Starter

Guys

Thanks for all your welcomed replies. Nice to have an active community!

I dropped the car off at Abdullah Ahli's yesterday and explained to them what I've experienced so far. Driving down there I had a couple of misfires and the MCU Failure warning flashed a couple of times. Got there without any embarressment

Lets see what Hussein comes up with and I'll keep you all posted.

@ Almayer,

Nice cars you have. I've always been a big fan of the 166's. Before I got my 156 JTD back in SA I looked at a facelift 166 3.2 Ti model - It was simply stunning but unfortunately second hand cars do not come cheap in South Africa! Not even Alfas! So I had to find something that suited my budget. Loved the interior of it! Would also not mind a Spider

Will be nice to join you guys next time you're taking on a road trip so keep me posted please!

@ Mossawi,

Thank you for your offer (MAF). I will speak to Hussein and see if he'd like to test it. I'll get in touch with you if I'll be taking you up on your offer. I knew water was a bad idea I'm use to use degrease only on my JTD, but this time around I had one mission in mind: CLEAN THE DIRTY ENGINE!!! Didn't walk the extra mile to go and buy some degrease and now paying the price. Good little life lesson

Later

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
alfisti

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page