Hello Emirati Alfistis - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
United Arab Emirates All events and potential meets in UAE

(Post Link) post #1 of 32 Old 20-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hello Emirati Alfistis

Hi All,
Logged in today for the first time in ages only to find that there is subgroup for us in UAE!
I'm an oldish infrequent member but always glad to see what's going on here.
Will do my best to try and keep in touch more often.
OK I'm off to search the forums for a neat solution of where to fix my iPhone in order to see the screen easier when using satnav.
Regards to All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: -
Welcome back Novice. Which Alfa do you drive?
AO Member

County: Dubayy
Welcome, there are a few of us. But we are hardcore
AO Member

County: Hampshire

Member car:

Alfa Mito

I'm a UK Alfisti but coming over to Dubai for ten days on a family holiday next month, so any hint/money savving tips much appreciated!!!
(Post Link) post #5 of 32 Old 21-09-10 Thread Starter
AO Member

Hi guys!

I drive a Brera 3.2. There's a bit of a long story behind it from way back 2007 in the threads here. Used to have a 147 back in UK.

Almayer, I imported the Brera myself before they arrived at Gargash. It was quite funny when I drove it in from the port to there

Mossawi, I think I saw your car (if it was the same one) at Gargash around a month ago when I was there for something minor. Talk about hardcore, I failed in my attempts to get Jano from Autodelta down here back in 2007 (when I still had money. Now I'm broke!). I wanted to spice up the Brera but now it will have to wait. I've done nearly 110,000 km because I used to commute daily from AD to Jebel Ali for 1.5 years.

Thebossman, are you already booked into somewhere? What ages are the kids? I'll ask my wife who might have a few ideas.
AO Member

@ TheBossMan: welcome to Dubai! Emirates has an offer for families:

Kids go free to Dubai | Special Offers | Destinations & Offers | Emirates United Kingdom

let us know where you are staying and what you want to do, we'll give you tips.

To the others, I now live in Amwaj in JBR, in my parking there's a 147 Selespeed black, and the Spider that was on sale on the Dubizzle a few weeks ago, 3.0 V6 24v, silver with red interiors, beautiful. Tried to contact the guy but no chance. Also, i've seen a black 156, think it's 2.5 or something similar.
AO Member

@novice
Could have been my GTA. I took it in for a bulb change. It rarely sees the roads and I have only done 32,000 km on it. My trusty 156 2.5v6 however is a veteran. 210,000 km and still good as new.

Stephen, Marco and I are planning a little sheesha meeting on Saturday, you are most welcomed.

@almyer
I have seen that black 156 also on dubizzle. It looks good and its only 10k... bargain
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Thanks for the responses guys, very much appreciated. Unfortunately almayer, we'd already booked our flights etc a few months ago, plus we're coming in October anyway so that offer didn't apply i don't believe.

We've rented an apartment for 9 days and then staying at the Atlantis for the last 2 nights as it's my son's birthday whilst we're out there.

So any tips/advice on where to visit, where to eat etc, that's suitable for families, plus reasonable prices (!) hugely appreciated!

And of course if there's any 8C's left lying at the airport for us to borrow,all the better

Looking for personal finance to buy a car ?

For a comparative quote, drop me a pm!
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Sorry Novice, meant to add, our kids are 4 and 7.

thanks again! As always AO'ers are of great help all over the world!
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebossman View Post
So any tips/advice on where to visit, where to eat etc, that's suitable for families, plus reasonable prices (!) hugely appreciated!

And of course if there's any 8C's left lying at the airport for us to borrow,all the better
I'll leave the keys for my 8C in the car for you... but sorry, no child seat
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossawi View Post
I'll leave the keys for my 8C in the car for you... but sorry, no child seat

Much appeciated! Don't worry about a car seat, do you have a roof rack?!
AO Member

@ Moh: no, it's not the same car

@ The bossman: for sure you HAVE to take your kids playing with the dolphins @ Atlantis, and included in the price you get day access to Aquaventure, their aquapark. Do NOT do the shark tunnel though, apparently it's dangerous. Also take them to Wild Wadi, and @ the Sega Theme Park in the Dubai Mall.
AO Member

Quote:
Much appeciated! Don't worry about a car seat, do you have a roof rack?!
they will spoil those beautiful lines. just send them in the bus
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Welcome, there are a few of us. But we are hardcore
Quote:
Originally Posted by almayer View Post
Welcome back Novice. Which Alfa do you drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by novice View Post
Hi All,
Logged in today for the first time in ages only to find that there is subgroup for us in UAE!
I'm an oldish infrequent member but always glad to see what's going on here.
Will do my best to try and keep in touch more often.
OK I'm off to search the forums for a neat solution of where to fix my iPhone in order to see the screen easier when using satnav.
Regards to All

I second Mo and Marco... welcome onto AO UAE... we are few and yes we are hardcore Alfa fans.. We have not got any major events planned yet this year as the weather is only letting up now, but we will get a few events underway later in the year...

We will keep you posted on here...

Cheers,

Stephen
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

@ thebossman

Remember it is still summer time in this region and although it will be cooling down during October, it will still be hot and humid 35degC most days (its 35-40deg here at the moment) assuming Dubai is still the same as Qatar.

I think for young children you need to plan outdoor activities carefully to avoid days of high humidity or mid day sun but there are plenty of activities to keep you busy in Dubai. A desert safari is always a great day but may be still too hot or could be scary for the kids depending on how the 4x4 driver is

@ Emirati Alfisti

6 months of 'cooler' weather on its way

156 2.5 V6 24v, Cosmos Blue Metallic, Tan Leather, 17 GTA's, 225/45 Michelin PS2's, Full Zender body kit, GTA Headlights, Eibach springs, Koni FSD's, Eibach Anti-roll bars, Ferrari 360 Brembo calipers, DS2500 pads, Squadra ECU, 45mm Intake Runners, Carbon Intake, Dan & Wizard exhaust

156 2.5 V6 Qsystem, Red + Red Leather, Bilstein dampers, DS2500 pads...soon Brembo calipers, 17" GTV Teles
AO Member

@pascs

I'm in doha today and tomorrow. I'll keep a look out for a black 156. Cant be too many around
AO Gold Member

County: Aberdeenshire

Member car:

Zender 156 V6

Quote:
@pascs

I'm in doha today and tomorrow. I'll keep a look out for a black 156. Cant be too many around

give me a wave if you see it, my wife is driving the red one this week too
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Thanks for all your advice, just working out boring work logistics now (downside of working for yourself), are there many free/ cheap wifi hotspots in Dubai ?

(Would just be useful to pick up emails every couple of days without paying extortionate mobile fees!
AO Member

Quote:
Thanks for all your advice, just working out boring work logistics now (downside of working for yourself), are there many free/ cheap wifi hotspots in Dubai ?

(Would just be useful to pick up emails every couple of days without paying extortionate mobile fees!
Hey Bossman

Most coffeshops have free wifi. Also there are many Wifi hotspots around town that you can use with a prepaid DU or Etisalat card.
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Not long to go now, can't wait to come over.

Lots of people telling me for a family it's best to eat in the malls etc as very good selection and reasonable prices. Any other good, reasonable places that are good to eat at ? Just how expensive is it to eat in Dubai ? (Obviously I realise it will vary greatly, but just wondered approximate figures if we did eat in the malls etc)

As before, any other general advice very welcomed!
AO Member

County: Abu Zaby

Member car:

Fast food prices are pretty much on a par with the UK and, to be honest, I think most restaurants are, too. Food is comparable in price to UK supermarkets, over all, although some items are better value (eggs, meat) others tend to be more expensive (fruit, veg).
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Moss View Post
Fast food prices are pretty much on a par with the UK and, to be honest, I think most restaurants are, too. Food is comparable in price to UK supermarkets, over all, although some items are better value (eggs, meat) others tend to be more expensive (fruit, veg).
True true, all depends where you go.

Which area are you staying in? Maybe I can give you some insider tips
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Excellent, thanks. Surprised to hear that food is similar in price to over here, had heard from others it was incredibly expensive, so here's hoping!

Thanks again for all your advice so far, Mossawi, for the first week or so we're staying in Palm Island Jumeirah in an apartment and then the last couple of nights at the Atlantis.
AO Member

Quote:
Excellent, thanks. Surprised to hear that food is similar in price to over here, had heard from others it was incredibly expensive, so here's hoping!

Thanks again for all your advice so far, Mossawi, for the first week or so we're staying in Palm Island Jumeirah in an apartment and then the last couple of nights at the Atlantis.
Nice, Many nice restaurants in the area in particular around the Marina and JBR walk. I think you should book a saturday for a shisha (hubble bubble) and I will see who from the local alfa guys can join.

Cheers
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa Mito

Quote:
Nice, Many nice restaurants in the area in particular around the Marina and JBR walk. I think you should book a saturday for a shisha (hubble bubble) and I will see who from the local alfa guys can join.

Cheers
Ha, if only. Think my 8yr old lad may be up for it, not sure on my 4yr old daughter!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > International Lounges > World Alfa Clubs, Communities & Events > United Arab Emirates

Tags
alfistis , emirati

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page