Choosing turbo for 159 2.4JDTm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 20 Old 23-06-16 Thread Starter

County: -
Choosing turbo for 159 2.4JDTm

Hi there.

I have 159 ti 2.4 JDTm with auto transmission (200hp). My turbo is sadly dead and I must replace it. I already had plans for little performance upgrade so this situation is not too bad for me, lol.

I know the 209hp version comes with GTB2056V which is pretty easy to install. I am aiming for 270-280 hp. Do you guys think this is achievable with EGR and DPF delete? Ive read people doing about 240 to 250 with this mods. A friend of mine is offering GTB2060VKLR but I dont know if its going to fit that easy. I know the drivetrain is the weak spot, not the engine itself, but I am willing to take the risk. I dont think I am pushing it too far. Any suggestions about the turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO COTY Winner 2017
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2393

Member car:

Brera 2.4 8C Red

AO Member

County: Nicosia
Garage
The really plug and play upgrade is the one from the 210Bhp engine. With a good map it's good for around 250Bhp. Then you can play with a Hybrid version of that turbo that can get you to 280-290 Bhp. Autolusso have some tried and tested solutions for that around the 1000 pound mark. Also your intercooler will begin to be a problem. As per Boban, look on the threads listed and Bobans own thread here (too modest to list it himself)
If you go for 2060 or 2265 you have to make custom manifold adapters and downpipe thus increasing the cost. With VKLR (LR is for ball bearing vs thrust bearing) you'll get faster spooling but with all the added cost it might not be something you'll want to go for given that roughly the horsepower is the same.
You could add meth injection to all of these installation for an added 25-30 Bhp.
Personally I went with 2265VKLR + custom manifold, downpipe, exhaust, intercooler and all intercooler pipework, but then again I'm looking at some prison time for debts
AO COTY Winner 2017
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 2393

Member car:

Brera 2.4 8C Red

@xenkof: If your debts are listed in , you may be of the hook
And start a thread, please
AO Member

County: Nicosia
Garage
Not in pounds Boban :-) Already paid heaps though for parts. Now I'm almost done they decide!!!
Will start a thread as soon as I'm finished. Not much time now. Just fine tuning the map and seeing what the injectors do under pressure left
(Post Link) post #6 of 20 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter

Okay guys, Ive bought the GTB2056V which is going to replace the old one next week. DFP/EGR/CAT and Swirl Flas are already gone. How far can I push the new turbo (bar)?
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 1723
County: Drenthe
did you get the oil feed line too? The original one will be to short
(Post Link) post #8 of 20 Old 30-07-16 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allerd View Post
did you get the oil feed line too? The original one will be to short
Yes, I saw a post from Jerry 159 in another thread. He was mentioning all of the parts needed for the Garrett turbo swap.
AO Silver Member

County: Avon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnka View Post
Yes, I saw a post from Jerry 159 in another thread. He was mentioning all of the parts needed for the Garrett turbo swap.
I've had this conversion done, with remapping done by autolusso. the turbo is still the limiting factor in how much power you can get but its a more flexible unit than the BorgWarner unit so definitely an improvement
(Post Link) post #10 of 20 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter

GTB2056V upgrade done, now running at 1.5bar boost! DPF/EGR/CAT and Swirl flaps removed, + 2.75in downpipe and exhaust system. Car is completely different now. There was also small unpleasant surprise in the intake manifold, lol
(Post Link) post #11 of 20 Old 31-08-16 Thread Starter

Do you guys know which 3bar MAP sensor can be put in the 159?
AO Silver Member

All multi-jet JTD engines use the same type of 3bar sensor. You can use anyone, they are all compatible.

Only old JTDs use 2.5bar sensor that is incompatible.
(Post Link) post #13 of 20 Old 01-09-16 Thread Starter

Ok, good to know. What boost are you guys running with the 2056v? Anyone with F1 map?
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I have a 200hp with a remap. I change the turbo to the 210hp will I need a new remap? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I have a 200hp with a remap. I change the turbo to the 210hp will I need a new remap? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
You won't need to but it would benefit from a little tweak. However, I changed to the 210 version because I needed to change my turbo anyway as it was bust. But the 1000 odd quid it costs to change it makes it an expensive project if you're only upping to the 210 one as there isn't a huge difference. If you spending the money on an upgraded turbo may as well make it a much much better one rather than only slightly better IMO.
AO Member

County: Warwickshire

Member car:

Giulia Veloce

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry92 View Post
You won't need to but it would benefit from a little tweak. However, I changed to the 210 version because I needed to change my turbo anyway as it was bust. But the 1000 odd quid it costs to change it makes it an expensive project if you're only upping to the 210 one as there isn't a huge difference. If you spending the money on an upgraded turbo may as well make it a much much better one rather than only slightly better IMO.
I wouldn't to it to gain 10BHP though it does sound the power delivery is better. I would do it if my Turbo died.

Are the 200BHP and 210BHP a similar price to buy? Just out interest.

Also at how many miles did you your turbo die? I have 100,000 miles on the clock and I have had the car since 34,000 and I am still on the original turbo. I have the 200BHP set up.
AO Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan_The_Spider View Post
I wouldn't to it to gain 10BHP though it does sound the power delivery is better. I would do it if my Turbo died.

Are the 200BHP and 210BHP a similar price to buy? Just out interest.

Also at how many miles did you your turbo die? I have 100,000 miles on the clock and I have had the car since 34,000 and I am still on the original turbo. I have the 200BHP set up.
Well mine died at about 84k miles (about 2 weeks after I bought it...so it was already poorly before I got it....unknown to me!) There is no reason a turbo should fail for the life of the car really other than by some unfortunate circumstance. I like to think that had I had the car from new or earlier miles it wouldnt have packed up but the previous owner didn't spend money on the car (random garages for service and repairs, worn wheel bearing, perish suspension bush, god awful cheap as possible tyres, and the dodgy turbo)

Current:
2008 159 2.4 JTDm Lusso Sportwagon Q-Tronic
2003 166 3.0 V6 Super

Past:
1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo
2006 Fiat Grande Punto 1.3 MJet
AO Member

County: Moscow

Member car:

Brera 2.4 jtdm

Hi,

I have Brera 2.4 Q-tronic (200hp) with factory setup (DPF, EGR, maping, flaps are in and working). Q-tronic is overhauled and milage is 160 thousand km.
Would 210hp turbo requre remap? Or will work as standart or better?
AO Silver Member

You will need a remap to adjust VNT maps.
Without that boost control will be very bad.
AO Member

Member car:

GTV 2.0 Lusso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnka View Post
Hi there.

I have 159 ti 2.4 JDTm with auto transmission (200hp).
I am aiming for 270-280 hp. I know the drivetrain is the weak spot, not the engine itself, but I am willing to take the risk.
I just want to clarify here that the Aisin TF 80- SC gearbox is definitely NOT the weak spot.... These have multiple fitments of the very same gearbox across many different marques and power outputs of 300+ bhp safely, with an uprated torque converter they can also handle 400+. They can withstand more power and torque than any other manual box that Alfa have to offer. Lincoln on the 300bhp V6 wouldn't use them if they couldn't!
Don't be under any illusion that an auto box can't handle modifications otherwise the US tuning market on muscle cars throughout the last 60+ years wouldn't exist!

Last edited by Grahameo; 23-07-18 at 07:42.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
159 , 24jdtm , choosing , turbo

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page