Identifying Brembo Calipers - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Tuning & Upgrades Discuss performance enhancements for your Alfa Romeo

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

County: West Midlands

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Identifying Brembo Calipers

Firstly I'd like to apologise for the dreadful pictures.
I've been offered these Brembo Calipers for a reasonable price, they'll be for a little project I'll soon be doing. Not an Alfa, I apologise haha!

Can anyone help identify what model Alfa these Calipers came off. The guy seems to think they're from a 157 GTA. However, from my research I think they're off a 156, designed for 305mm disc?

Any help would be appreciated. I'll be back in an Alfa one of these days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.7 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

(Post Link) post #2 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Not Happy

I can only upload one photo at a time from my phone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (35.5 KB, 15 views)
(Post Link) post #3 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Photo 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.1 KB, 13 views)
(Post Link) post #4 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Photo 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (45.0 KB, 10 views)
AO Gold Member

County: Down in the Park
they'll be for a 305mm disc, but they can be either from a 156 or 147, or possibly a GTV.
(Post Link) post #6 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuore_Sportivo_155 View Post
they'll be for a 305mm disc, but they can be either from a 156 or 147, or possibly a GTV.
Do you know if these Calipers can take a larger disc? As they guy is supplying 328mm disc with them.
Also, do these rate any good in terms of performance? Thanks for your speedy reply
AO Gold Member

Is that a 4*98mm 328mm disc in the picture?

If they're GTA calipers as we're suspecting, they're not very good, hence a lot of people got free upgrades to a 330mm setup. They seem to have warping issues in combination with 305mm discs.
(Post Link) post #8 of 23 Old 22-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Quote:

If they're GTA calipers as we're suspecting, they're not very good, hence a lot of people got free upgrades to a 330mm setup. They seem to have warping issues in combination with 305mm discs.
They're 4 X 108mm 328mm discs.
If they can take the 328mm discs than I may try them, as it's a pretty good deal.
I'm presuming they won't be worth much if I was to sell them on then?
AO Gold Member

back in the day, they'd go for about £250 in good condition. Now I would expect less.
AO Platinum Member

They are probably pre 2004 GTA calipers, which were identical to GTV/Spider V6 calipers.
Should be ok on a 328mm disc providing it is only 28mm thick.

The same pad shape is used on Ferrari 360 with 330mm discs.
(Post Link) post #11 of 23 Old 23-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
They are probably pre 2004 GTA calipers, which were identical to GTV/Spider V6 calipers.
Should be ok on a 328mm disc providing it is only 28mm thick.

The same pad shape is used on Ferrari 360 with 330mm discs.
Do you know how these rate in terms of performance? Thanks for your replies
AO Silver Member

County: Dorset

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
They were also used on the Fiat Coupe Turbo 20V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny109 View Post
The guy seems to think they're from a 157 GTA. However, from my research I think they're off a 156, designed for 305mm disc?
!
No such car as a 157 GTA ! Theyre deffo from a 147/156 GTA or a GTV V6, but the discs arent cos a) theyre too big and b) theyre 4 stud not 5 stud.

Quote:
Do you know if these Calipers can take a larger disc? As they guy is supplying 328mm disc with them.
Also, do these rate any good in terms of performance? Thanks for your speedy reply
There are numerous brackets available on ebay to make them fit a wide variety of cars from all sorts of different manufacturers using lots of different discs, some even thicker than the 28mm they were designed for (which involves splitting the caliper and adding a spacer) and some which angle the caliper so it can take a larger disc.

Quote:

Quote:
Do you know how these rate in terms of performance? Thanks for your replies
They are pretty good, the warping issue is down to the aluminium behind the shims corroding and pushing the shims up which stops the piston coming out properly, this happens on only one or two of the shims meaning some pistons work and some dont and this is what causes the disc to warp. As long as theyre properly refurbished (ie shims removed and the corrosion taken care of, then painted) theyll be alright for a good few years before they corrode again.

Quote:
They're 4 X 108mm 328mm discs.
If they can take the 328mm discs than I may try them, as it's a pretty good deal.
I'm presuming they won't be worth much if I was to sell them on then?
Quote:
back in the day, they'd go for about £250 in good condition. Now I would expect less.
They can provided theyre the correct width and theyd probably have to be angled to make it work. They sell from £150 - £200 on ebay. Theres quite a good market for them, just not among Alfisti.

Last edited by typos1; 23-04-16 at 17:40.
(Post Link) post #13 of 23 Old 23-04-16 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Giulietta 1.4 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
They were also used on the Fiat Coupe Turbo 20V.

There are numerous brackets available on ebay to make them fit a wide variety of cars from all sorts of different manufacturers using lots of different discs, some even thicker than the 28mm they were designed for (which involves splitting the caliper and adding a spacer) and some which angle the caliper so it can take a larger disc.

They are pretty good, the warping issue is down to the aluminium behind the shims corroding and pushing the shims up which stops the piston coming out properly, this happens on only one or two of the shims meaning some pistons work and some dont and this is what causes the disc to warp. As long as theyre properly refurbished (ie shims removed and the corrosion taken caer of, then painted) theyll be alright for a good few years before they corrode again.

They can provided theyre the correct width, but youd need some adapters made to fit them to a Giulietta and to make them take a larger disc, I m not sure these exist so it might be quite expensive. They sell from £150 - £200 on ebay. Theres quite a good market for them, just not among Alfa enthusiasts.
They'll be for a Ford Fiesta track oriented car hence the 4x108 disc. Just trying to find some reviews of how these Calipers perform before I buy them. Unfortunately there isn't any off the shelf brackets that I could buy, but I've got plenty of time to get a custom set made by a friend of mine.

Many thanks for your detailed reply. They've apparently been refurbished with new seals etc a year or so ago. However, looking at them I'd be looking at getting them refurbished and re-painted before they were fitted. Do you know a rough price these would be to get refurbished?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
They'll be for a Ford Fiesta track oriented car hence the 4x108 disc. Just trying to find some reviews of how these Calipers perform before I buy them. Unfortunately there isn't any off the shelf brackets that I could buy, but I've got plenty of time to get a custom set made by a friend of mine.

Many thanks for your detailed reply. They've apparently been refurbished with new seals etc a year or so ago. However, looking at them I'd be looking at getting them refurbished and re-painted before they were fitted. Do you know a rough price these would be to get refurbished?
Lo, I was in the middle of editing my post while you were typing your reply ! I re-read your post and took out the Giulietta reference.

£250ish for refurb, but why pay that when you can do it yourself ? Its easy, but I wouldnt bother if theyve been done already, just make sure theyre ok behind the shims and maybe repaint them.

Look on ebay for brackets, there may well be some for Fiestas, I refurbed a set last year and sold them, I saw a company on ebay making brackets for them to fit other cars, I distinctly remember seeing some for Mondeoa that angled the caliper so it could work on a larger disc, they seemed to do a few for fast Fords.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quickly Googled it, theres some for Fiestas (didnt check the year though) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiesta-ST-...item4ab48bb96c

Last edited by typos1; 23-04-16 at 18:23.
AO Gold Member

yes, the Fiat had them aswell, but not with Alfa Romeo printed on them. That's why I didn't mention the Fiat.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Quote:
yes, the Fiat had them aswell, but not with Alfa Romeo printed on them. That's why I didn't mention the Fiat.
Clearly, I was just adding that for extra info, dont be offended, I didnt criticise what you said at any point.

They also made them with 100mm mounting lugs for Peugeots, again just adding the extra info, so dont take offence
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by typos1 View Post
Clearly, I was just adding that for extra info, dont be offended, I didnt criticise what you said at any point.

They also made them with 100mm mounting lugs for Peugeots, again just adding the extra info, so dont take offence
Not offended in the least, don't worry.

I used to work for peugeot at that time... squealed like crazy unless they got stripped, cleaned and greased regularly.

They (brembos) still do, actually. I strip mine every 10k miles roughly. Upside is the pins don't get the chance to fuse themselves to the caliper (giulietta though)
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Yeah, the Fiat/Peugeot ones squeal as well, but then so do the standard calipers on my 147. Dont think it ll be a problem on a track car though.

The MK1 Focus RS also used virtually the same caliper as the Fiats/Alfas but with slightly smaller pistons.

Last edited by typos1; 24-04-16 at 11:22.
AO Platinum Member

Never had any problems with my aftermarket Brembos squealing.

They were Copaslip'd from new, OEM would have been assembled dry, which could account for the difference.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 Ducati Corse

Copperslip didnt seem to stop my 305s squealing.
AO Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Never had any problems with my aftermarket Brembos squealing.

They were Copaslip'd from new, OEM would have been assembled dry, which could account for the difference.
it works for a while, but not long. I'm guessing you had other pad material than what OEM use.
AO Platinum Member

Quote:
it works for a while, but not long. I'm guessing you had other pad material than what OEM use.
Very different.
Ferodo DS2500 for two sets, then used the Brembo Galfer pads that came with the kit.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Tuning & Upgrades

Tags
brembo , calipers , identifying

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page